Does The Bible Say God Wants Us To Be Happy
I want you to ask yourself these two questions:
- Are you only happy when life goes as planned?
- Or do you still rejoice in God even when times are hard?
The first time I read the above bible verses about joy and happiness, I identified the most with question number one. Whenever my perfect life had a crack I felt depressed and hopeless. But whenever my professional and private life was thriving I felt good about myself and my life.
My happiness was solely depending on external factors and I allowed my circumstances to control me.
The Bible, however, teaches us that our joy and strength doesnt come from the world or our possessions but from Christ. And in order to be content in any circumstance, we need to make God our source of joy.
So does that mean that he doesnt want us to be happy. Absolutely not.
What he wants is to put our faith and hope in him, which will then lead to real joy. No matter how much material wealth you accumulate on this earth, at the end it wont make you happy. Because true happiness comes from knowing God.
Focus On The Benefits Of Salvation
In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials .1 Peter 1:6
ObservationQuestion: What is Peter referring to when he says in this you greatly rejoice?
In the flow of thought, this is pointing back to our new birth and inheritance in heaven in verses 35. Listen to what he says in the previous verses.
Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us newbirth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fadekept in heaven for you, whothroughfaithareshieldedGodspoweruntilthecomingofthesalvation that is ready to be revealed in the last time .1 Peter 1:35
Why should believers have joy in their trials according to 1 Peter 1:3-5?
What God Says About Joy
Bible Joy Truth #1: Authentic joy and true happiness is found is Gods presence. I love that joy is the very essence of Gods character! 1 Chronicles 16:27 says that strength and joy fill his dwelling. Psalm 16:11 reminds us that joy and eternal pleasures are found in Gods presence.
Also Check: Pray Unceasingly Verse
Divine Origin Of The Family
3. How does the Bible describe the start of the human family, and why do we know that what it says is true?
3 Jehovah created the first humans, Adam and Eve, and brought them together as husband and wife. He put them in a beautiful earthly paradise homethe garden of Edenand told them to have children. Be fruitful and become many, fill the earth and subdue it, said Jehovah. This is not just a story or a myth, for Jesus showed that what Genesis says about the start of family life is true. Although we face many problems and life now is not as God purposed it to be, let us see why happiness within the family is possible.
4. How can each member of the family contribute to its happiness? Why is studying the life of Jesus so important to family happiness?
4 Each member of the family can help to make family life happy by imitating God in showing love. How, though, can we imitate God, since we cannot even see him? We can learn how Jehovah acts because he sent his firstborn Son from heaven to the earth. When on earth, this Son, Jesus Christ, imitated his heavenly Father so well that seeing and listening to Jesus was just like being with Jehovah and hearing Him. Therefore, by learning about the love that Jesus showed and following his example, each one of us can help to make family life happier.
Bible Verses That Prove God Wants Us To Be Happy
If you have faith in God, its not hard to imagine that God wants us to be happy. After all, hes told us so on numerous occasions! There are lots of inspirational Bible verses that not only lay out Gods plan for us but guarantee that that plan will result in us living our best possible life. Here are three of my favorite Bible verses that prove God wants us to be happy.
Trust in the Lord, and do good dwell in the land and befriend faithfulness.Delight yourself in the Lord,and he will give you the desires of your heart.
This verse not only commands us to trust the Lord, but reminds us that finding delight in the Lord will also result in positive things coming your way!
Our mouths were filled with laughter, our tongues with songs of joy.Then it was said among the nations, The Lord has done great things for them.
There are so many inspirational psalms, and this is definitely one of them. What better place to find joy than by reflecting on the good things God has done for us?
Don’t Miss: What Order Should You Read The Bible
What Is Joy According To The Bible
The idea of studying joy came to me when I was reading Nehemiah and studying the joy of the Lord is my strength verse.
Then he said to them, Go your way, eat the fat, drink the sweet, and send portions to those for whom nothing is prepared for this day is holy to our Lord. Do not sorrow, for the joy of the Lord is your strength.
The story behind the verse is important. The children of Judah had been exiled to Babylon due to their idolatry. Here they lived among the heathen with no land to call their home. When the years of their punishment are finished, God stirs in the hearts of his faithful servants to start a movement to return home to the land their forefathers had been taken from.
They endure multiple trials, but they strive to rebuild what was destroyed. They ask Ezra the prophet to read to them the Law.
He stands on a wooden platform with hundreds of Jews gathered around him and begins to read the words written centuries before. With thirsty souls the people listen and suddenly the greatness of their sin and disobedience falls upon them and their hearts begin to mourn. The people cry out in repentance.
What a beautiful scene. A whole multitude of people, whose desire is to return to the Lord, raise up their voices as one and repent!
After this, Ezra and Nehemiah declare the day holy and tell the people to rejoice and be glad. They tell them to feast and be happy. Why? Because God has heard them!
Work Was Part Of Gods Original Design
After God finished creating, He put Adam in the garden of Eden to tend and keep it . Thats work.
Work became harder after Adam and Eve sinned. God cursed the ground, making it bring forth thorns and thistles . Pulling weeds will make you sweat!
But God never intended for our lives to be filled with leisure activities.
Ive often read the fourth commandment of Gods 10 Commandments focused on the fact that God commands rest on the seventh day. For a long time I missed the fact that the same fourth commandment also commands work for six days.
Read Also: Why Is The Bible Not In Chronological Order
More Bible Verses About Enjoying Life
In wrapping this post up, I want to remind you that it’s always good to remember to keep things in perspective. And as a Christian, that means a biblical perspective.
What am I saying here?
I’m saying, try not to get caught up in a secular way of thinking, because that will have you not only thinking you can’t enjoy life as a Christian, but will also have you displaying an ungrateful attitude towards God.
Our enemy the devil only needs us to give him just a little bit of room to creep into our thoughts to plant seeds of lies. This is why, spending more time with God, and working on cultivating our relationship with Him is vital. In fact, our true enjoyment of life depends on it.
In light of all this, there are three things to always keep in mind regarding enjoying life:
1. Remember that EVERYTHING that God gives us is a gift, and we should acknowledge and honor Him accordingly.
Moreover, when God gives someone wealth and possessions, and the ability to enjoy them, to accept their lot and be happy in their toilthis is a gift of God.
2. All of us have seen our share of loss, hardship, or unfortunate circumstances. When God delivers you out of these type situations, don’t forget to thank Him and praise Him accordingly.
God has delivered me from going down to the pit, and I shall live to enjoy the light of life.
The Lord has done great things for us, and we are filled with joy.
Does God Want Us To Be Happy Bible Verses
Bible Verses That Prove God Wants Us to Be Happy
- Psalm 37:3-4. Trust in the Lord, and do good dwell in the land and befriend faithfulness.
- Psalm 126:2. Our mouths were filled with laughter, our tongues with songs of joy.
- Luke 6:21. Blessed are you who hunger now, for you will be satisfied.
Recommended Reading: What Is The Chronological Order Of The Bible
What Is True Happiness
True happiness is enjoying your own company and living in peace and harmony with your body, mind and soul. True happiness is state of mind constantly being in love with yourself. For being truly happy you neither need other people nor materialistic things. Happiness is the consequence of personal effort.
What Does The Bible Say About Being Joyful
Joy is independent of circumstances and situations. Even when our world appears to crumble around us we can choose to be joyful.
The apostle Paul spoke of rejoicing. That speaks of repeating or reiterating an action. Its almost as if he thought being joyous was insufficient we had to do it again!
This is the same person who was in and out of jail because he wouldnt stop sharing the Good News. When others laid low he would charge full speed ahead into danger.
Heres a brief synopsis of some of his hijinks:
2 Corinthians 11:24-26 Five times I received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one. Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was pelted with stones, three times I was shipwrecked, I spent a night and a day in the open sea, I have been constantly on the move. I have been in danger from rivers, in danger from bandits, in danger from my fellow Jews, in danger from Gentiles in danger in the city, in danger in the country, in danger at sea and in danger from false believers.
This is the same person who encouraged us to rejoice always
Psalm 95:1 Oh come, let us sing to the Lord! Let us shout joyfully to the Rock of our salvation.
Isaiah 49:13 Sing, O heavens! Be joyful, O earth! And break out in singing, O mountains! For the Lord has comforted His people, And will have mercy on His afflicted.
John 15:11 These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full.
Philippians 4:4 Rejoice in the Lord always again I will say, rejoice.
Read Also: Do Not Be Afraid Bible Verses 365
My Favorite Bible Verse About Happiness
Before I wrap up this post, I thought itd be nice to share my favorite verse out of all the bible verses about happiness. Phillippians 4:4.
The reason why I chose that one is because a lot of bible verses on happiness, seem abstract. And at times they are hard to relate to. This one on the other hand doesnt leave room for interpretation.
It tells us to ALWAYS rejoice in the Lord. Simple.
Read Gods Word Daily: Wisdom And Fear Of The Lord Brings Happiness
38. Proverbs 3:17-18 She will guide you down delightful paths all her ways are satisfying. Wisdom is a tree of life to those who embrace her happy are those who hold her tightly.
39. Psalm 128:1-2 A Song of Ascents. How blessed is everyone who fears the LORD, Who walks in His ways. When you shall eat of the fruit of your hands, You will be happy and it will be well with you.
40. 1 Kings 10:8 Happy are thy men, happy are these thy servants, which stand continually before thee, and that hear thy wisdom.
41. Proverbs 3:13-14 Happy is the man who finds wisdom, And the man who gains understanding For her proceeds are better than the profits of silver, And her gain than fine gold.
42. Romans 14:22 Hast thou faith? have it to thyself before God. Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth.
43. Proverbs 19:8 He who acquires wisdom loves himself one who safeguards understanding will find success.
44. Proverbs 28:14 Happy is the man that feareth alway: but he that hardeneth his heart shall fall into mischief.
Jesus is the answer. Go to Him.
45. Matthew 11:28 Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.
46. Psalm 146:5 Happy is he who has the God of Jacob for his help, Whose hope is in the LORD his God.
47. Psalm 34:8 Taste and see that the LORD is good blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him!
Also Check: Examples Of Loneliness In The Bible
Read More From Pairedlife
- Singleness is a gift from God .
- A married person is concerned about serving God and pleasing a spouse .
- Celibacy brings the freedom to serve God unencumbered .
- Unmarried persons can develop a deep relationship with God because they have fewer distractions .
Paul sums up the subjects about marriage, singleness, and self-control by saying:
“I wish that all men were as I am. But each has his own gift from God, one has this gift, another has that. Now to the unmarried and the widows, I say it is good for them to stay unmarried as I am. But if they cannot control themselves, they should marry, for it is better to marry than to burn with passion” .
Look Back On Gods Faithfulness In The Past Year
How has God shown Himself faithful to you in the past year? How has He been your rock of strength, to steady you in these unprecedented times? Your New Year celebration should include testimonies of Gods faithfulness through the ups and downs of the previous year.
12. 1 Chronicles 16:11-12 Look to the Lord and his strength seek his face always. 12 Remember the wonders he has done, his miracles, and the judgments he pronounced.
13. Psalm 27:1 The Lord is my light and my salvationwhom shall I fear?The Lord is the stronghold of my lifeof whom shall I be afraid?
14. Psalm 103:2 Bless the LORD, O my soul, and do not forget all His kind deeds.
15. Deuteronomy 6:12 make certain that you do not forget the LORD who rescued you from Egypt, where you were slaves.
16. Psalm 78:7 that they should put their confidence in God, not forgetting His works, but keeping His commandments.
17. Psalm 105:5 Remember his marvellous works that he hath done his wonders, and the judgments of his mouth.
18. Psalm 103:19-22 The Lord has established His throne in the heavens,And His sovereignty rules over all. 20 Bless the Lord, you His angels,Mighty in strength, who perform His word, Obeying the voice of His word!21 Bless the Lord, all you His angels, You who serve Him, doing His will. 22 Bless the Lord, all you works of His, In all places of His dominion Bless the Lord, my soul!
Don’t Miss: Chronological Order Of The Bible
What Is Happiness In The Bible
Happiness is a gift from the Lord. Most of this article is about us finding true happiness in God. However, lets take a moment to talk about Gods happiness. Believers can rejoice because God has made a way for us to be right with Him through the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ. Due to the perfect work of Jesus Christ, we can now know Him and enjoy Him. What a glorious privilege!
Lets not look to what we can do for God. No! Its about what He has already done for us. Not our works, but the perfect work of Christ on the cross. When we realize the significance of the cross of Christ, we then realize that when God sees us, He rejoices in happiness because He sees the perfect work of Christ. God delights in you and He loves you deeply. Happiness and joy is only possible because of God! Praise the Lord for His goodness and this amazing gift.
1. James 1:17 Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.
2. Zephaniah 3:17 The Lord your God is with you. He is like a powerful soldier. He will save you. He will show how much he loves you and how happy he is with you. He will laugh and be happy about you.
3. Ecclesiastes 5:19 And it is a good thing to receive wealth from God and the good health to enjoy it. To enjoy your work and accept your lot in lifethis is indeed a gift from God.
What Does The Bible Say About Worldly Happiness
The good news is that this eternal happiness is not something we must wait for. In Gods grace, we are invited to experience this in our lives today. God wishes to bless us with the happiness that is rooted in the Spirit abiding within us.
- Rev. Kyle NormanCrosswalk.com Contributing Writer
- 202118 Jun
Happiness is a tricky thing. It is a driving force in our lives. We all want to be happy. More importantly, God wants us to be happy.
God longs for Gods goodness to be realized in our daily lives. True happiness is not something to be experienced only in the next life, it is something God wishes to bless us with right now.
The tricky part is we do not always know what makes us truly happy. Like Adam and Eve in the garden, we can easily be swayed by what is pleasing for the eyes .
Too often we swap happiness with pleasure only to find that it creates a spiritual disease within us. Happiness must be more than merely getting what we want.
This, ultimately, leads us to all types of questions. How do we navigate the complex road or true happiness? How do we know what will truly make us happy?
Are there any clues in Scripture about where happiness can be found? Below are three biblical keys to how to live your life in full happiness.
Recommended Reading: How Many Books Are There In The King James Bible