Greed Gets In The Way Of Even The Best Friendships
âThe greedy stir up conflict, but those who trust in the LORD will prosperâ .
This is called âclickbait.â
People are more likely to âclickâ something that tantalizes their anxiety or their lust.
In an internet marketplace where traffic is king, the greedy bulldoze their morals and try to draw people onto their websites by exaggerating scandal, catastrophe, danger, and sex and sensuality.
These are not morally neutral acts, and they do not come at no cost to these entrepreneurs’ souls.
Bible Verses About Seeking Godly Guidance And Wisdom
Proverbs 12: 1 Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but whoever hates correction is stupid.
Proverbs 22:6 Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.
Proverbs 13:13 Whoever scorns instruction will pay for it, but whoever respects a command is rewarded.
Proverbs 12:15 The way of fools seems right to them, but the wise listen to advice.
Proverbs 1:5 A wise man will hear and increase learning, and a man of understanding will attain wise counsel.
Proverbs 13:1 A wise son heeds his fathers instruction, but a mocker does not respond to rebukes.
Proverbs 13:18 Whoever disregards discipline comes to poverty and shame, but whoever heeds correction is honored.Back to top index
Bible Verses About True Wealth In Christ
Luke 16:10-12 Whoever can be trusted with very little can also be trusted with much, and whoever is dishonest with very little will also be dishonest with much. So if you have not been trustworthy in handling worldly wealth, who will trust you with true riches? And if you have not been trustworthy with someone elses property, who will give you property of your own?
Matthew 6:21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
Ephesians 1:17-21 I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better. I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in his holy people,and his incomparably great power for us who believe. That power is the same as the mighty strength he exerted when he raised Christ from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly realms, far above all rule and authority, power and dominion, and every name that is invoked, not only in the present age but also in the one to come.
Romans 5:8 But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
More Bible Verses On Other Topics
Don’t Miss: What Does God Say About Cremation
My Final Thoughts On What The Bible Says About Greed
When you live in a country that has as much abundant wealth as the United States, greed can easily slip into your worldview.
We have luxuries today that no people in the history of the world could have dreamed. These luxuries can make it so that anyone who is ambitious is tempted to take shortcuts to get where they want.
The Bible pushes back fiercely against greed. The main reason is that it takes our focus off of what God has for our lives and puts it on things that are not eternal.
In my studies, I have come to learn that greed is a form of us wanting to control our world. This is the original sin that was exposed in the Garden of Eden. We dont want to live by Gods rules. We want to create the rules ourselves.
By studying what the Bible says about money and applying it to our lives, we will not only avoid destructive forces like greed, but we will be able to have a positive impact on others.
What Is Greed In The Bible
1. 1 Timothy 6:9-10 But people who want to get rich keep toppling into temptation and are trapped by many stupid and harmful desires that plunge them into destruction and ruin. For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil, and by craving it, some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pains.
2. Hebrews 13:5 Your conduct must be free from the love of money and you must be content with what you have, for he has said, I will never leave you and I will never abandon you. So we can say with confidence, The Lord is my helper, and I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?
3. Ecclesiastes 5:10 Whoever loves money will never have enough money. Whoever loves luxury will not be content with abundance. This also is pointless.
4. Matthew 6:24 No one can serve two masters, because either he will hate one and love the other, or be loyal to one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and riches!
5. Luke 12:15 He told the people, Be careful to guard yourselves from every kind of greed. Life is not about having a lot of material possessions.
6. Proverbs 28:25 A greedy person stirs up a fight, but whoever trusts the LORD prospers.
7. 1 John 2:16 For everything that is in the worldthe desire for fleshly gratification, the desire for possessions, and worldly arroganceis not from the Father but is from the world.
8. 1 Thessalonians 2:5 For we never came with words of flattery, as you know, nor with a pretext for greedGod is witness.
Recommended Reading: Bible Verses About Being A Strong Woman
Why Is Money The Root Of All Evil
It is evil because people infuse actual value into the money and material goods when they do not possess any intrinsic value. Thus, the person who is caught in this spiral makes a category mistake: he or she believes that they possess something of ultimate worth when they only possess a material transaction device.
Money Is About Discipleship
Money is a tool God uses to help us live and love like Jesus. Regardless of how muchâor how littleâmoney you have, God is at work in your life through your circumstances. He is leading you to a deeper trust in him. This is exactly what we see in Philippians 4:11-12:
“Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need.”
Are you struggling financially? Or are you swimming in a financial abundance? Do you have a love of money that isn’t healthy?
Regardless of your situation, instead of asking âwhyâ or just saying âthanks,â be sure to ask God what you can learn since there is a connection between your faith and money.
- âMatthew 6:24: âNo one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money.ââ
- Luke 12:34:“For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.ââ
- Luke 16:11-12:“If then you have not been faithful in the unrighteous wealth, who will entrust to you the true riches? And if you have not been faithful in that which is anotherâs, who will give you that which is your own?”
You May Like: What Does The Bible Say About Depression
The Sin Of Greed Will Keep Many People Out Of Heaven
42. 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 Dont you know that wicked people wont inherit Gods kingdom? Stop deceiving yourselves! People who continue to commit sexual sins, who worship false gods, those who commit adultery, homosexuals, or thieves, those who are greedy or drunk, who use abusive language, or who rob people will not inherit Gods kingdom.
43. Matthew 19:24 I can guarantee again that it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the kingdom of God.
44. Mark 8:36 For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world and forfeit his soul?
45. Colossians 3:5 Put to death therefore what is earthly in you: sexual immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry.
46. Proverbs 11:6 The righteousness of the upright will rescue them, But the treacherous will be caught by their own greed.
47. Proverbs 28:25 The greedy stir up conflict, but those who trust in the LORD will prosper.
48. Habakkuk 2:5 Moreover, wine is a traitor, an arrogant man who is never at rest. His greed is as wide as Sheol like death he has never enough. He gathers for himself all nations and collects as his own all peoples.
49. 1 Peter 5:2 Shepherd the flock of God that is among you, exercising oversight, not under compulsion, but willingly, as God would have you not for shameful gain, but eagerly.
Greed Promises Satisfaction But Never Satisfied
âWhoever loves money never has enough whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their income. This too is meaninglessâ .
Insatiability is one of the defining characteristics of greed.
It is unrelentingâthe only thing it wants is: âMore.â
The goals of greed are unquantifiable and endlessly evasive.
The more one dips into greed to fuel aspiration, the less satisfying are the goals to which one aspires.
Eventually, all other goals are forced to subserve greedâs accumulative goals.
Read Also: What Does The Bible Say About Sadness
Is It Good To Be Greedy
Greed is good not just for your own life but for others as well. By elevating your life, you can radically elevate your familys life, your community, and yes, even the world. You just need to get greedy. You need to focus so intently on what it is you want that your desire seeps out of your pores.
Greed Leads To Dishonest Gain
39. Proverbs 21:6 Those who gather wealth by lying are wasting time. They are looking for death.
40. Proverbs 28:20 The faithful man will prosper with blessings, but whoever is in a hurry to get rich will not escape punishment.
41. Proverbs 15:27 Those who are greedy for unjust gain bring trouble into their homes, but the person who hates bribes will live.
You May Like: Does The Bible Speak Against Cremation
Better To Give Than Receive
34. Acts 20:35 I have shewed you all things, how that so labouring ye ought to support the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, It is more blessed to give than to receive.
35. Proverbs 11:24-15 Those who give freely gain even more others hold back what they owe, becoming even poorer. A generous person will prosper, and anyone who gives water will receive a flood in return.
36. Deuteronomy 8:18 But you are to remember the Lord your God, for it is He who is giving you power to make wealth, in order to confirm His covenant which He swore to your fathers, as it is this day.
37. Matthew 19:21 Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.
38. Proverbs 3:27 Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to act.
Bible Verses About Worry
Matthew 6:25-26Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? 26 Look at the birds of the air they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?
Hebrews 13:6 So we say with confidence,The Lord is my helper I will not be afraid. What can mere mortals do to me?
Matthew 6:34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.
Philippians 4:6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.
1 Peter 5:7 Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.
John 14:27 Peace I leave with you my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.
Luke 12:25 And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life?
Psalm 56:3 When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.
Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.Back to top index
Recommended Reading: Where In The Bible Does It Say Pray Without Ceasing
Does It Matter If I’m Rich Or Poor According To The Bible
There is another popular teaching from Jesus regarding money found in Matthew 19. This is when Jesus meets a rich man. The rich young man approaches Jesus and asks how he can attain eternal life. Jesus lets the man know he needs to obey the commandments found in the Old Testament, and the man states he has kept the commandments of God. In response to this, Jesus says, If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me. The man did not want to give up his wealth, and left instead.
Because of this, Jesus proclaimed, I tell you the truth, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God. Often, Jesus is taken literally many think that being physically rich will make it difficult for one to enter heaven. So, is Jesus saying the rich mans physical wealth is going to keep him from entering heaven?
Examples Of Greed In The Bible
58. Matthew 23:25 Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You clean the outside of the cup and dish, but inside they are full of greed and self-indulgence.
59. Luke 11:39-40 Then the Lord said to him, Now then, you Pharisees clean the outside of the cup and dish, but inside you are full of greed and wickedness. 40 You foolish people! Did not the one who made the outside make the inside also?
60. Ezekiel 16:27 So I stretched out my hand against you and reduced your territory I gave you over to the greed of your enemies, the daughters of the Philistines, who were shocked by your lewd conduct.
61. Job 20:20 They were always greedy and never satisfied. Nothing remains of all the things they dreamed about.
62. Jeremiah 22:17 But you! You have eyes only for greed and dishonesty! You murder the innocent, oppress the poor, and reign ruthlessly.
63. Ezekiel 7:19 They will throw their money in the streets, tossing it out like worthless trash. Their silver and gold wont save them on that day of the LORDs anger. It will neither satisfy nor feed them, for their greed can only trip them up.
64. Isaiah 57:17-18 I was enraged by their sinful greed I punished them, and hid my face in anger, yet they kept on in their willful ways. 18 I have seen their ways, but I will heal them I will guide them and restore comfort to Israels mourners.
Don’t Miss: Cremation Or Burial What Does The Bible Say
Greed Directly Conflicts With Pastoral Ministry
âBe shepherds of Godâs flock that is under your care, watching over themânot because you must, but because you are willing, as God wants you to be not pursuing dishonest gain, but eager to serve not lording it over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flockâ .
Greed is at odds with the qualifications of a minister of the gospel.
This takes greed to an entirely different level.
We should note: Itâs not wrong for pastors to desire to be fairly compensated.
Itâs likewise not wrong for pastors to negotiate higher salaries, or to be wealthy.
The Apostle Paul writes: âThe elders who direct the affairs of the church well are worthy of double honor, especially those whose work is preaching and teaching. For the Scripture says, âDo not muzzle the ox while it is treading out the grain,â and âThe worker deserves his wagesââ .
However, Peterâs warning has less to do with the amount a pastor is paid, and more to do with the morality of a pastorâs wealth acquisition: ânot pursuing dishonest gainâ .
Using pastoral ministry as a means of making money, when you donât really believe the message or care for the people, violates Godâs qualifications for an ordained church leader.
Bible Verses About Money & Greed
The opposite of generosity is greed. Studies show that greed causes stress, depression, despair, and anxiety, leading people into vices such as gambling, hoarding, and theft.
But what does the Bible say about greed? Lets take a look.
Do not trust in extortion or put vain hope in stolen goods though your riches increase, do not set your heart on them. Psalm 62:10
Do not wear yourself out to get rich do not trust your own cleverness. Proverbs 23:4
Whoever loves money never has enough whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their income. This too is meaningless. Ecclesiastes 5:10
For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.Matthew 6:21
No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.Matthew 6:24
Then Jesus said to his disciples, Truly I tell you, it is hard for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.Matthew 19:23-24
Then he said to them, Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed life does not consist in an abundance of possessions.Luke 12:15
For of this you can be sure: No immoral, impure or greedy personsuch a person is an idolaterhas any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.Ephesians 5:5
You May Like: What Does God Say About Vaccines