Bible Verses For Moral Purity
May 24, 2019
I hope you love the products and resources I recommend here at A Little R & R. Just so you know, it is possible that I get a commission and collect income from the links on this page. for more info.
I am not a doctor, none of the information on any of these pages pertaining to the Ketogenic Diet or Adrenal Fatigue should be considered medical advice and should not replace the care of your personal physician.;I am simply eager to share the information I have learned while on my own journey to health. Before you embark on this journey, please consult with your physician.
How seriously do we consider Gods laws today?
When God gave us His Word, did He take into account what our culture would be like today:
- The rampant immorality
- The level of soft porn we see all around us
- The hook up culture on college campuses
- The amount of fornication portrayed by Hollywood
Maybe todays culture is just really different from what the culture was like back then.
Or maybe its not!
When God instructed Noah to build the ark, the Bible says that every inclination of the thoughts of the human heart was only evil all the time.
This was a culture that could only think of doing evil; they were incapable of thinking anything righteous.
God destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah because not the men in that city think nothing of homosexual gang rape, or rape at all .
Even Paul had to address the Corinthian church for letting immorality slide on such a level that wasnt even seen in the world.
Does God Care About What We Do In The Privacy Of Our Bedrooms
Sex is Gods invention. He is the mastermind behind itand His creation is worth far more to Him than it is to us. This beautiful expression of love was created out of His own heart, as a gift to be experienced between a husband and wife. It is only in marriage that this manifestation of intimacy can be fully enjoyed in the depth for which it was created.
The more beautiful and unique something is , the more power it holds over our lives, either for good or bad influence. That is why it is so easy for the devil to corrupt the most precious of Gods gifts. When we become more in love with the gifts than the One who endowed them, the things that were designed to bless us begin to destroy us instead. Yes, God cares about what we do with our bodies, in public or in private. He doesnt want us to abuse ourselves in any way.
In fact, an older definition of masturbation is self-abuse. Although more modern dictionaries may no longer carry this definition, they are still linked together under self-abuse:
1. Abuse of oneself or ones abilities.
1 Corinthians 6:18 further confirms this, saying that unlawful sexual relations defile our own bodies: Flee from sexual immorality. All other sins a man commits are outside his body, but he who sins sexually sins against his own body.
Isnt it still better to masturbate than to commit fornication?
I agree with all the theory, but living it out on a day to day level is another story.
What Does God Really Want From Us
He does expect us to love God with all our heart, soul, strength and mind. To love others as we love ourselves, and love others as Jesus loved us. God expects us to accept His Son, the Lord Jesus Christ, as our Savior. He expects us to give our lives to Him, and in so doing, develop the character of Christ.
Don’t Miss: How Many Books Are In The King James Bible
B Sexual Sin Hurts The Sinner Himself
Contrary to what is often said, all sin is not the same. Paul says that the immoral man sins against his own body . Those who engage in homosexual sin, whether men or women, dishonor their bodies and receive in their own persons the due penalty of their error . Gods moral laws are like the traffic laws: you can disobey them for a while and perhaps get where you want to go faster. But sooner or later, youll come around a curve too fast, hit a pole, and suffer the consequences. Gods laws are designed by the wise Creator to protect us.
Ways We Can Bring God Glory As We Fight For Purity:
1. Share your sin struggles and temptations with others.;If you are struggling with temptations, share it with a trusting Christian community. Join a small group Bible study or talk with your pastor take a leap of faith to vocalize your struggles. God gets the glory when we are honest about where we are in our walk with him.
2. Go where you are supposed to go. Have you ever realized that when you sin you are in places that you are not supposed to be at? Or during a time when you were supposed to be somewhere else? Or late at night past your bed time, when you are more likely to be tempted?
3. Never live in isolation.;Surround yourself with other believers live with Christian roommates, serve at your church or attend weekly prayer meetings. When you live in isolation like David, it becomes easier to sin secretly.
Sexual desires are good and created by God, but that doesnt mean you can act on them. These desires should only be acted on within the context of a marriage relationship. Here are a few other verses that explain Gods view of sex, purity, sin, and temptation.
Recommended Reading: Who Is Isaac In The Bible
The Communal Aspect Of Marriage
Different cultures have different ways of arranging marriage and marking the marital bond. Not surprisingly, then, the Bible doesnt require all marriages to be sealed in a church ceremony or with a state-authorized license.
Still, whatever the time and place, biblical marriage always includes a distinctly communal aspect.;Its first understood in;a couples decision to leave their parents and cleave to one another. With that step, they start a new family unit as a part of general human society.
In other words, marriage involves a couples public commitment to build a strong and lasting relationship. That relationship isnt only a foundation for the nurturing of their own children; its also a building block of social stability and a contribution to the well-being of the broader community.
In Bible times, that communal part of marriage was overseen almost exclusively by the family. However, in 21st-century America, it also involves the state and for serious believers, the Church.
What about Mary and Joseph? Well, betrothals in ancient Judaism werent like modern engagements. A betrothal did require that the couple not have sex until after the wedding ceremony. But aside from this, the relationship a betrothal established was every bit as binding and permanent as what we normally think of as marriage.
B To Be Sexually Pure You Must Walk By The Power Of His Indwelling Holy Spirit
Paul mentions in passing that God gives His Holy Spirit to you. He uses a Greek construction that emphasizes Holy . In Galatians 5:16, Paul writes, But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not carry out the desire of the flesh. He goes on to enumerate some of those sinful desires, which include immorality, impurity, and sensuality. He adds that one fruit of the Holy Spirit is self-control. So a daily step-by-step walk of dependence on the indwelling Holy Spirit is the key to resisting sexual temptation and developing sexual purity.
There are several aspects of this to keep in mind: First, the Holy Spirit is a gracious, undeserved gift. When you think about the fact that you deserved Gods judgment, but He chose you and called you to salvation and gave you His Holy Spirit to live in you, it will make you hate your sin and turn from it.
Second, the Holy Spirit isholy! As the eternal third person of the trinity, He is the one of whom the angels cover their faces in His presence as they say , Holy, holy, holy is the Lord of hosts, the whole earth is full of His glory. He is light and in Him is no darkness at all . His eyes are too pure to approve evil . Peter exhorts , As obedient children, do not be conformed to the former lusts which were yours in your ignorance, but like the Holy One who called you, be holy yourselves also in all your behavior; because it is written, You shall be holy, for I am holy.
Don’t Miss: How To Interpret The Bible For Yourself
Sexual Purity Protects The Body Mind And Spirit
Living in an age of sexual freedom, we need to guard against believing the lie that pain and suffering come only to those who have been violated by forcible sex against their will. The pain and suffering after sexual assault and rape can be as traumatic as the acts are evil, but God tells us that even casual, consensual sex will bring judgment and personal injury to oneself, not real relationship, satisfaction, or joy. The apostle Paul speaks of profound self-harm when he writes, Flee from sexual immorality. . . . The sexually immoral person sins against his own body .
Our body, mind, and spirit are damaged, even desecrated by sexual immorality. I am a living witness that sins against our own body are real and leave lasting scars. Praise God for life in Christ that brings healing and new hope.
B Holiness Means Abstaining From Sexual Immorality
The Greek word refers to any kind of sexual relation outside of heterosexual marriage. This includes sex before marriage, adultery, homosexuality, incest, prostitution, or bestiality . Paul is not calling us to moderation of our sexual impulses, but to total abstinence outside of the marriage bond. As he wrote :
But immorality or any impurity or greed must not even be named among you, as is proper among saints; and there must be no filthiness and silly talk, or coarse jesting, which are not fitting, but rather giving of thanks. For this you know with certainty, that no immoral or impure person or covetous man, who is an idolater, has an inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God.
As Jesus made clear, sexual immorality begins on the heart or thought level. To look on a woman with lust is to commit adultery with her in your heart . He also said ,
For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed the evil thoughts, fornications, thefts, murders, adulteries, deeds of coveting and wickedness, as well as deceit, sensuality, envy, slander, pride and foolishness. All these evil things proceed from within and defile the man.
Don’t Miss: What Does Bible Say About Vaccines
Why Is Purity Important
Purity benefits you in several important ways. Do not underestimate its value in your life or the negative consequences of impurity.
Pure living benefits not only you but also those who are close to you.
The most significant benefit of purity is that it allows you entrance into Gods holy presence. The Bible says, Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God . This eternal life is only possible by receiving forgiveness of sins through faith in Jesus Christ.
What else does purity do in your life?
- Promotes caution, discernment, and good choices while preventing corruption in thought, word, and deed.
- Supports good health and a long life and leads to satisfaction and peace.
- Highlights faults in your life and spurs you toward godliness, honoring the conscience God gave you.
- Inspires you to avoid stumbling blocks and helps you live free of guilt and regret.
- Cultivates a community of loving individuals with honor and affection.
- Governs your relationships with othersespecially with the complementary genderand enables you to provide an example for them to follow.
Striving for and maintaining purity affects all aspects of your life. A pure heart will show in your thoughts, words, choices, attitudes, relationships, and more. Remember that your pure living benefits not only you but also those who are close to you.
What Does The Bible Say About Sexual Purity
IntroductionLack of Teaching
- “‘Pastors are getting very gun-shy when it comes to issues of marriage, family and sex’ . Certainly, cohabitation would be right at the top of a list of these issues, along with premarital sex. They are so tired of getting beat up because they have hurt people’s feelings.'”
- “Some church leaders have fallen silent on this issue because they no longer believe that sex outside of marriage is a sin. Their silence is understandable.”
- “The Marriage Savers network is active in 163 cities and towns in 39 states and, wherever he travels to speak, McManus said he never sees more than one or two hands raised when he asks, ‘How many of you have ever heard a sermon on cohabitation?’ McManus is convinced most pastors simply do not know that 5 million unmarried Americans – 60 percent of all couples – are living together.”
Consider the below dissuading facts about those who cohabitate
- “Data from the University of Wisconsin provides a painful bottom line: Couples that cohabit before marriage increase their odds of divorce by 50 percent. Researchers found that only 15 out of every 100 cohabitating couples were married after a decadePastors do not know that these women face higher levels of depression and lower levels of communication and commitment. They are more than 60 percent more likely to be assaulted, and their children are endangered as well.”
Teaching From the Old TestamentTeaching From the New TestamentporneiaPorneiaporneiaAddendum 1porneia
Scripture About The Body As A Temple
Psalms 24:3-4;; Who shall ascend the hill of the LORD?;; And who shall stand in his; holy place?; He who has; clean hands and; a pure heart,;; who does not; lift up his soul to; what is false and does not swear deceitfully.
1Corinthians 3:16;; Do you not know that you; are Gods temple and that Gods Spirit dwells in you?
1Corinthians 6:15-20Do you not know that; your bodies are members of Christ? Shall I then take the members of Christ and make them members of a prostitute? Never! Or do you not know that he who is joined; to a prostitute becomes one body with her? For, as it is written,; The two will become one flesh.; But he who is joined to the Lord; becomes one spirit with him.; Flee from sexual immorality. Every other sin; a person commits is outside the body, but the sexually immoral person; sins against his own body.; Or; do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God?; You are not your own,;; for you were bought with a price.; So glorify God in your body.
Hebrews 7:26; For it was indeed fitting that we should have such a high priest,; holy, innocent, unstained,; separated from sinners, and; exalted above the heavens.
James 1:27Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this:; to visit; orphans and widows in their affliction, and; to keep oneself; unstained from the world.
Eight Lessons About Purity
Sex is not a right, nor did God design it to define our identity. Our identity is in being children of God. It is not meant to be a way to gain power or acceptance. Men and women of God do not use sex as a means of gratifying selfish desires, but instead, lovingly as a means of serving one another in genuine intimacy and love in marriage. Valuing and pursuing purity will honor God and heighten the joy we experience in this wonderful gift.
Over the years, God has been so gracious to teach me about his design and purposes for sexual intimacy. This gift is packed with profound wonder and grace and truth. For any woman secretly wanting to test the waters like I did, here are eight beautiful truths I wish I had known sooner.
Sex Is For Marriage And Marriage Is For Sex
God wants us to save sex for marriage not because its bad or dirty but because its unique, exclusive, and wonderful. Sex isnt just casual fun. And its not just a feel-good way of expressing mutual love. Its about two people becoming one flesh.
- Jesus says, Have you not read that he who created them from the beginning made them male and female,;and said,;Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and;the two shall become one flesh? .
- This fits with the apostle Pauls warning in 1 Corinthians 6:16: Do you not know that he who is joined to a prostitute becomes one body with her? For, as it is written, The two will become one flesh .
- The same concept underlies the commandment against adultery . In the biblical view, adultery includes any sexual activity outside of marriage. This is why the Bible says, Let marriage be held in honor among all, and let the marriage bed be undefiled, for God will judge the sexually immoral and adulterous .
Sex is a holy mystery. Its a powerful bonding agent that shapes and affects the relationship between a man and a woman as nothing else can.
Thats why the Bible often compares idolatry to the sin of fornication or adultery .
And its why the Bible uses sexual purity and faithfulness between spouses as an image of our relationship with God .
So, what about Isaac and Rebekah, or Joseph and Mary?
Eight Lessons Forty Years Later
I tested the waters. More than once. I dove into previously forbidden pleasures expecting joy and fulfillment. And for a short time, it sometimes felt like my choices delivered. Ultimately, I was left feeling lonely, ashamed, and used.
The little voice of my conscience whispered that I was treading in dangerous waters, but the voices of the world mocked those concerns. I had no idea that some of the choices I was making then would create dark memories that continue to rise to the surface of my thoughts, compromising intimate moments and stirring regrets and shame.