Honour Thy Father And Thy Mother That Thy Days May Be Long Upon The Land Which The Lord Thy God Is Giving Thee Exodus : 12
One way we show love is by honoring our parents. This doesnt mean throwing them a party and giving them gifts or a medal. It might not even mean we have a great relationship with them. Its about respect.
Respect recognizes the person and elevates them for a particular attribute or position. And God wants us to do this for our mother and father. Regardless of our relationship with our parents, we are asked to honor them. And when we honor our earthly parents, we ultimately display love for our Father in heaven.
Bible Verses About Love For Others
Hilda from Peru was sponsored with Compassion as a child.
One of my neighbours told me about Compassion at my local church. I was sponsored through Compassion and started to go to the project every week. I was fed there and learnt how to take care of myself. I learnt I was special and that God loved me. My sponsor wrote me letters, they loved me so much even though we never met in person All I can say is thank you so much for your love which showed me Gods love.
- 1 John 4:19 We love because he first loved us.
- 1 John 4: 8 Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God.
- John 15: 12-13My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this: to lay down ones life for ones friends.
- 1 Peter 4:8 Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins.
- 1 Corinthians 16:14Do everything in love.
- Colossians 3:14 Above all, be loving. This ties everything together perfectly.
- Ephesians 4:2-3 Be completely humble and gentle be patient, bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace.
Examples Of Love In The Bible
There are so many Bible stories about love. One of the greatest examples of love between two people is that of Jonathan and David. Jonathan, son of King Saul, and heir to his throne, befriended David just after he killed Goliath, and was standing in front of Saul with the giants head in his hands. The soul of Jonathan was knit to the soul of David, and Jonathan loved him as himself . . . Then Jonathan made a covenant with David because he loved him as himself. Jonathan stripped himself of the robe that was on him and gave it to David, with his armor, including his sword and his bow and his belt.
Even though Davids rising popularity with the people of Israel meant he could likely supplant Jonathan as the next king , Jonathans friendship with David was undiminished. He truly loved David as he loved himself and went to great lengths to protect David from his fathers jealousy and warn him when he was in danger.
The greatest example of love in the Bible is the love of God for us. The Creator of the universe loves each of us personally and intimately. Even when we run away from God, He loves us anyway. Even when we sin against God, He loves us and wants to restore relationship with us.
98. Genesis 24:66-67 Then the servant told Isaac all he had done. 67 Isaac brought her into the tent of his mother Sarah, and he married Rebekah. So she became his wife, and he loved her and Isaac was comforted after his mothers death.
God Is Love So Our Love For Others Points Them To Him
God showed how much He loved us by sending His one and only Son into the world so that we might have eternal life through Him. This is real love not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son as a sacrifice to take away our sins. Dear friends, since God loved us that much, we surely ought to love each other. No one has ever seen God. But if we love each other, God lives in us, and His love is brought to full expression in us.
When we love each other, it gives people a glimpse of God because God is love. It can be difficult for people to understand God, but when we love others in His name, they experience a taste of His love.
Sadly, sometimes Christians are known more for judgment than for love. If you want to help other people know who God is, you can share the message of Gods love and then help them experience it through your love for them.
Mr And Mrs Guy And Amber Lia And Mrs Jean Daly
Amber Lia is a work-at-home mom, blogger, public speaker, and co-author of two best-selling books. Her husband, Guy, is a former TV, feature film, and VFX development and production executive who has worked on popular TV shows and films. Guy and Amber own Storehouse Media Group, a faith- and family-friendly TV and film production company based in Los Angeles,
Read Also: What Does Grace Mean In The Bible
Love Covers A Multitude Of Sins
The end of all things is near. Therefore be alert and of sober mind so that you may pray. Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins.
If you knew the end was near, what would you prioritize? Above everything else, Peter wants his readers to love one another deeply. Why? Because love is the lubricant that makes community work.
The churchs job is to be ministers of reconciliation . We accomplish the Great Commission by introducing people to the reconciliation available through the cross. As we work together to do this work, there are plenty of opportunities to get sidetracked by offenses and hurt feelings. These are things the enemy uses to thwart our efforts.
But when we love one another deeply, it covers those offenses and prevents the enemy from derailing our work.
Christian Quotes About Loving Others
Dont wait for other people to be loving, giving, compassionate, grateful, forgiving, generous, or friendly lead the way!
Our job is to love others without stopping to inquire whether or not they are worthy.
Love others so radically they wonder why.
We love others best when we love God most.
Be so busy loving God, loving others, and loving your life that you have no time for regret, worry, fear, or drama.
Love people the way Jesus loves you.
Love God and He will enable you to love others even when they disappoint you.
Do not waste time bothering whether you love your neighbor act as if you did. C.S. Lewis
Run after the hurting, go after the broken, the addicted, those that have messed up, that society has written off. Go after them with love, with mercy, with the goodness of God.
Being loving is at the heart of the Christian message, as through loving others, we show our faith.
Don’t Miss: How Much Is Logos Bible Software
Effective Habits To Embrace In Parenting
To be an effective parent, you must be a leader in your childs life, guiding with a gentle hand and setting a solid example. Dr. Randy Schroeder provides the insight you need to be a leader-parent. As he explores the foundational Rsrelationship, routines, responsibilities, and rulesyoull better understand the role you play in your childs life. Youll learn great phrases to employ such as Either/Or/You Decide and When You/Then You. While there is no perfect parent, this nuts-and-bolts material will equip you to lead your child in a loving, confident manner.
God Is Loving He Does Not Want To Harm You But To Show You Compassion
Though He brings grief, He also shows compassion because of the greatness of His unfailing love. For He does not enjoy hurting people or causing them sorrow.
When you experience difficult things or see suffering in the world, you may be tempted to think God dislikes you or that He enjoys seeing some people suffer. This is not true. God created a beautiful, perfect world, but people brought imperfection into it.
God is hurt when He sees how much people suffer. He has allowed people to make a mess of the world for a period of time, but He will not leave it that way forever. God will make things right again because He is compassionate and loving.
Recommended Reading: Where In The Bible Does It Talk About Women Preaching
And Let Us Consider One Another To Provoke Unto Love And To Good Works: Not Forsaking The Assembling Of Ourselves Together As The Manner Of Some Is But Exhorting One Another: And So Much The More As Ye See The Day Approaching Hebrews : 24
Friends stir up love. They dont stay still and let love grow stale. Instead, they keep it moving and alive. An important ingredient for the stirring of love is being together. Even when far removed geographically, friends can be actively involved in each others lives by keeping in touch, calling, and caring. Still, its important to see each other and spend time together.
Thats where the most rewarding stirring and goodness can lead to growth. Making time for your friends and other believers is important. God wants us to build up the church and grow with one another. We need each other. The world can beat us up and tear us down. Its our friends who can stir our hearts and keep us from feeling sorry for ourselves.
Bible Verses About Love To Others
Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous love does not brag and is not arrogant,does not act unbecomingly it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered,does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth read more.bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
Also Check: What Does Prophetic Mean In The Bible
Characteristics Of Love In The Bible
Aside from the characteristics of love previously mentioned from 1 Corinthians 13, other characteristics include:
- There is no fear in love perfect love casts out fear
- We cant love the world and the Father at the same time
- We cant love God and hate a brother or sister at the same time
- Love does no harm to a neighbor
- When we walk in love, we give ourselves up, as Christ did
- Love nourishes and cherishes the one loved
- Love isnt just words it is actions actions of self-sacrifice and care for those in need
34. 1 Corinthians 13:4-7 Love is patient, love is kind, it is not jealous love does not brag, it is not arrogant. 5 It does not act disgracefully, it does not seek its own benefit it is not provoked, does not keep an account of a wrong suffered, 6 it does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth 7 it keeps every confidence, it believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
35. 1 John 4:18 There is no fear in love but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves torment. But he who fears has not been made perfect in love.
36. 1 John 3:18-19 Little children, lets not love with word or with tongue, but in deed and truth. 19 We will know by this that we are of the truth, and will set our heart at ease before Him.
Bible Verses About Loving Through The Truth
Sharing the truth in love
God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.’ The woman said to him, I know that Messiah is coming . When he comes, he will tell us all things. Jesus said to her, I who speak to you am he.
You may have heard the phrase sharing the truth in love. If you love someone, you dont hide the truth from them you share it! Jesus wasnt shy about telling others the truth, but He always did it in a way that showed He cared for them. In the verse above, Jesus shared several truths to the woman at the well, none more important than revealing He was the Messiah that she was waiting for. As a result, the woman was so excited that she began sharing the truth of Jesus, and many people believed in Him because of her testimony.
Jesus is the way
Jesus said to him, I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
Once again, Jesus did not hold back the truth from His disciples or us thousands of years later. That Jesus is the one and only way to God is an absolute truth that endures forever. He showed His love for mankind by proclaiming this truth and verifying it with His ministry. After His death and resurrection, Jesus commissioned His followers to go and make disciples of all nations, sharing with them His loving truth .
Also Check: How Many Chapters In The Bible
Christian Quotes About Love
As well as encouraging Bible verses, these Christian quotes can also help us reflect on Gods love. Why not share one of these inspirational Christian quotes and bring encouragement to someone who needs it today.
- God loves us too much to indulge our every whim. Max Lucado
- God loves each of us as if there were only one of us. Augustine
- Though our feelings come and go, Gods love for us does not. CS Lewis
- God proved His love on the cross. When Christ hung, and bled, and died, it was God saying to the world, I love you. Billy Graham
- God is love. He didnt need us. But he wanted us. And that is the most amazing thing. Rick Warren
- Christians, you are to love one another, not because of the gain which you get from one another, but rather because of the good you can do one another. Charles H. Spurgeon
- Let us always meet each other with a smile, for the smile is the beginning of love. Mother Teresa
- Wed love you to share these Bible verses about love with others. Encourage a friend today by sharing via email or on social media.
If youve enjoyed these Bible verses about love, you may also like:
Bible Verses About Loving Through Sacrifice
Love your enemies
But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return, and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, for he is kind to the ungrateful and the evil.
To love like Jesus is to sacrifice. There is a cost involved, and it can feel like a particularly steep cost to love your enemies. Despite that, Jesus lived out the words above in Luke 22:49-51. A mob came to arrest Him. As a result, one of the disciples lashed out with his sword and cut off the ear of the high priests servant. Even though the servant was part of the mob that had come to capture Jesus, He showed the man His love by healing his ear. Then, in another act of sacrificial love, Jesus gave Himself over to be arrested.
Jesus’ sacrificial love
Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends.
Because Jesus loved us, He was willing to sacrifice His life for us. He suffered and died on a cross because He knew that was the only way we could join Him in heaven. We may not be asked to literally give up our lives for someone else, but we can still love like Jesus by sacrificing our desires to help those around us. Additionally, Isaiah 53:5 is another great Bible verse about Jesus love.
Speaking of Christs sacrificial love, that brings us to
Don’t Miss: What Book Of The Bible Is Jesus Born
Definition For Love In The Bible
What is Gods love? Gods love is unwavering and unfailing and unconditional, even when our love for Him may grow cold. Gods love is seen in the beauty of the gospel of Christ for unbelievers. Gods love is so intense, theres nothing He wont do to restore relationship with us even sacrifice His own Son.
No matter what you are struggling with, no matter how broken you are, no matter how deep into sin you have sunk, God loves you with a mind-blowing, incomprehensible, love. God is for you! Through His love, you can overwhelmingly conquer whatever is keeping you down. Nothing can separate you from Gods love. Nothing!
God is wholly love. His nature is love. His love surpasses our human knowledge, and yet, through His Spirit, and when Christ dwells in our hearts through faith, and when were rooted and grounded in love, we can begin to comprehend the breadth and length and height and depth of His love. And when we know His love, we can be filled up to all the fullness of God!
19. Romans 5:8 But God proves His love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
20. John 3:16 For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that everyone who believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.
21. Galatians 5:6 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision has any value. All that matters is faith, expressed through love.
25. 1 Chronicles 16:34 Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good! His faithful love endures forever.