How Many Times Does God Tell Us To Forgive
However, Jesus stated that seventy times seven was the correct number . Without a doubt, Jesus did not mean 490 times in a literal sense, but rather that the number of times should not be tallied. The forgiving concept taught by our Lord is as follows, and we may be convinced that he did not only bind it upon Peter, but also upon himself.
Jesus In The Gospels Of John Mark And Matthew
THE BOOK OF JOHN 6:20-21 20 But He assured them, saying, I am.Do not be afraid. 21 After that, they were delighted to welcome Him aboard the boat, and the boat arrived at the place where they were headed almost soon.Who was it who said, I am do not be afraid ?Jesus.
What does the phrase I am.Do not be afraid mean?The four original Greek words ego eimi me phobeisthe literally and figuratively mean I am not afraid, and in this context, It is I, is the most accurate translation.Dont be scared, or Dont be alarmed, or Dont be alarmed. Is this the whole account or just a shortened version of the account?
- The abridged version.
- A more detailed account may be found in Mark 6:47-51: 47 After sunset, the boat had sailed into open water, and He was all alone on land.
- He couldnt see anybody else.
- 48 In addition, He observed them laboring to row against the wind, which was against them.
- In the fourth watch of the night, He came toward them, strolling on the water, and would have passed them by if they hadnt been paying attention.
- Seeing Him strolling on the water, they believed it was a ghost and began screaming.
50 They were all startled when they saw Him and were disturbed.Take courage!I am here to help you.
Bible Verses To Remind Us
1. So do not fear, for I am with you do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. ~ Isaiah 41:10
2. When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.” ~ Psalm 56:3
3. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. ~ Philippians 4:6-7
4. Peace is what I leave with you it is my own peace that I give you. I do not give it as the world does. Do not be worried and upset do not be afraid. ~ John 14:27
5. For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. ~ 2 Timothy 1:7
6. There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love. ~ 1 John 4:18
7. When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought joy to my soul. ~ Psalm 94:19
8. But now, this is what the Lord saysFear not, for I have redeemed you I have summoned you by name you are mine. ~ Isaiah 43:1
9. An anxious heart weighs a man down, but a kind word cheers him up. ~ Proverbs 12:25
10. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me your rod and your staff, they comfort me. ~ Psalm 23:4
30. Jesus told him, Dont be afraid just believe. ~
Read Also: How Many Times Does The Bible Say Fear God
What Is The Biblical Meaning Of Fear
The term can mean fear of God’s judgment. However, from a theological perspective “fear of the Lord” encompasses more than simple fear. … neither feared God nor cared for man.” Some translations of the Bible, such as the New International Version, sometimes replace the word “fear” with “reverence”.
How Many Times Does The Bible Say Fear Not
The phrase Fear Not is written 365 times in the Bible which is an everyday reminding of God to live your life by being courageous. Usually, when I see this pop-up, the quote does not fear. It says the phrase do not fear appears 365 times, essentially the same thing. So whats the claim here?
Well, the claim is that theres this biblical lesson that God says we shouldnt be afraid, and God, in the sense of poetic mystery, has given us this point 365 times in the Bible. And when we decode that, it tells us that this is a lesson god must want to remind us of every day.
And I read this, and I thought, wow, thats amazing. I mean, its certainly not beyond the power of God to do something like that, and the Bibles this amazing book, but I wondered if this is true.
And if so, why would God do that anyway because? What was jumping out in my mind? When I read this today, the Jewish calendar when the old testaments and new testaments were written. It only had 360 days in a calendar year, not 365.
So if God wanted to give us one mention of this idea for every day of the year, wouldnt he have given us 360 different mentions of it instead of 365. So I dont know the whole thing sounded a little fishy to me, and while the stuff we read on the internet is normally completely correct and trustworthy.
We came up with 17 different instances where this appears in our Bible, and some of these instances were completely on target.
Recommended Reading: Love Thy Neighbor Meaning
On Easter Sunday Morning At The Empty Tomb:
- Matthew 28:4-5 For fear of him the guards shook and became like dead men. / But the angel said to the women, Do not be afraid I know that you are looking for Jesus who was crucified.
- Matthew 28:8, 10 So they left the tomb quickly with fear and great joy, and ran to tell his disciples. // Then Jesus said to them, Do not be afraid go and tell my brothers to go to Galilee there they will see me.
I Suddenly Realized The Incredible Value In Fear
It is not something to be ashamed of, ignored, or condemned. Rather it’s a healthy emotion created by God. When we are scared, we slow down, become cautious, pay attention.
It’s the perfect time to pray. “Lord, is this thought true? Is it loving is it You? Is it helping me or hurting me? Is it saving my skin or stopping me from stepping my very best life? Is this You or is this the enemy?”
The enemy wants to do a perverted whack job on anything God means for our good. So… can fear become distorted and disruptive and destructive? Hell, yes.
That’s exactly why we need to seek God vigilantly in our fear to learn where it’s coming from.
Don’t Miss: What Does The Bible Say About Domestic Abuse
Verses That Say Fear Them Not
Essays On Faith: ‘fear Not’ Is In The Bible 365 Times
Click here to stay informed and subscribe to the Mountain States Trusted News Source.
Click #isupportlocal for more information on supporting our local journalists.
The morning sun shone through my windshield, warming my face as I drove east on I-64. Had it not been for where I was going and why, I might have been rather dazzled by this unseasonably warm Jan. 13 morning. Instead of todays 56 degrees, we usually have snow, sometimes of blizzard proportions on this date.
I know this because I have a good friend who complains every year that she cant go anywhere on her birthday because there is always a blizzard!
The traffic was light, as it was now 9:40 a.m., long past the time for most employed people to report to work. You might say it was the mid-morning lull.
I pulled into the parking garage, parked my car and walked across the street to the hospital. As I neared the double glass doors that led to a long hall and the hub of the hospital, butterflies swarmed in my stomach as never before.
I always walked quickly past these doors, looking straight ahead like a young child hurrying past a cemetery at night therefore I hadnt really seen the words written on them until today. I didnt like to acknowledge them except to say to myself or to whoever accompanied me, I hope none of my loved ones ever has to go inside one of these rooms.
I was terrified. Nauseated.
A very special friend offered these words:
Peggy Toney Horton lives in Nitro.
Recommended Reading: How To Read The New Testament In Chronological Order
How Many Times Does Fear Notappear In The Bible
Years ago someone told me that fear not was found in the Bible 365 times once for each day of the year. I thought about printing my own calendar and placing a different fear not verse on each day. What a source of hope and confidence it would be to begin each and every day by meditating on the fact that we dont have to fear whatever we have to face.
Much to my chagrin, fear not nor any of its close derivatives can be found in the Bible 365 times. Personal friend and close colleague, Pastor Nathan Boehm, took the time to do further research on this subject and posted his findings on his blog that I recommend for your reading .
Although not found 365 times in the Bible, fear not was spoken as an imperative from the lips of Jesus, and therefore should be taken as a direct command to be adhered.
There are many earthly reasons to fear today the failing economy, bad reports from the doctor, global unrest, terrorist threats, and hopeless predictions from political prognosticators just to name a few.
However, as followers of Christ we have greater reasons to fear not God will not fail you , God will not forsake you , God is with you , God will help you , God knows you by name , God can do marvelous things , It is Gods pleasure to give you the kingdom , and Christ is the First and the Last .
Simply put, Jesus said, Do not fear . Hearing it once from Jesus is just as good as hearing it 365 times. He said it, that settles it!
Why Does The Bible Say Not To Fear
As we all know with living in society today, fear is something that is entangled in every aspect of our lives. According to statistical studies, more than 30% of adults in the United States struggle with anxiety disorders or phobias. Our fears can cause us to trust in things, people, places, idols, etc., instead of trusting in the One who created and breathed them into life. Pastor Rick Warren stresses that peoples fears are rooted in the belief that God is out to condemn them through their trials and hurts instead of remembering that this is not so because of Jesus sacrifice. This caters to fear of God in the Old Testament, where people followed the Law set by God in fear that if they didnt, He would take away His favor from them and unleash hell. However, through Jesuss sacrifice and resurrection, people now have a Savior who took the punishment for those sins and brings us to a place where God only wants to offer love, peace, and the opportunity to serve alongside Him.
Recommended Reading: Pray Unceasingly Verse
Does God Command Us To Love Him
God has instructed us to love him, not for Gods sake, but for our own. If we love God for this reason, it is because God first loved us, and we are grateful for that. That God initially loved us for the very same reason namely, that we could find our greatest good and happiness in him is a fascinating topic to consider.
Can You Not Fear Anything Instead Of Praying For Everything
Don’t worry about anything instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. … This verse is special not only because of what it reveals about God, but also for how it empowers us in difficult times.
Read Also: What Is The Order Of The Bible
Fear Nots From David In The Psalms
Among the most famous fear nots in the Psalms is the last one in verse 22. This assurance from the Lord says that those who seek refuge in Him will not be condemned. This is an assurance that the righteous will be saved from evil, while the wicked will perish. But if youre afraid of evil, you still need to pray. By practicing the watch and pray technique with Jesus, you will prepare your heart for temptation and overcome your fears.
The phrase fear not appears more than 100 times in the Old Testament and 44 times in the New Testament. The exact number depends on the word used to translate fear, but its a significant number. There are several synonyms for fear, including frightened, cowardly, and anxious. But, the real meaning of fear is the opposite of fear. Instead of being afraid of evil, we should fear God and trust Him.
The Psalms contain many examples of fear nots. In the Old Testament, the phrase occurs more than a hundred times, while the New Testament contains forty-four times. The exact count depends on the Hebrew and Greek words used to translate it. The word fear has multiple synonyms, including anxious, afraid, and dismayed. As Davids own life was threatened, he became frightened and sought Gods deliverance.
Where In The Bible Does It Say Not To Fear
Isaiah 43:1 The Lord says, Do not be afraid I have rescued you I have called upon your name you are Mine. God specifically instructs us not to be afraid or concerned. There are at least 80 occurrences of the phrase fear not in the Bible, most likely because God understands that the enemy uses fear to reduce our confidence and restrict our wins.
You May Like: How Many Times Does The Bible Say Fear Not
But What Does Life Look Like With No Fear At All
To fear nothing? No cause for a pause to consider what God might be showing us? To never humble our hearts? To never ask God what’s going on and where He wants us to go?
It looks like a big, ugly ego. Haughtiness. Pride. Arrogance. Vanity. Narcissim. Total self-indulgence.
It’s a good thing you and I don’t have to worry about that, right? Because we’re scared sometimes. And that’s a good thing- a cause for a pause. A prayer. A humbling of our hearts. A seeking of His will.
Here’s to being afraid sometimes, may God use it make us awesome!
What Is The Most Common Phrase In The Bible Do Not Fear
The injunction Do not be afraid is the most frequently repeated in the Bible. It appears more than two hundred times throughout the book. If you stop and think about it, it signifies a couple of things. The feeling of fear, on the other hand, is not just a protective guide that keeps us safe it is also a manipulative emotion that may fool us into leading a boring existence.
You May Like: Is The Bible Chronological
Hebrews And Catholic Epistles:
- Hebrews 11:23 By faith Moses was hidden by his parents for three months after his birth, because they saw that the child was beautiful and they were not afraid of the kings edict.
- Hebrews 11:27 By faith he left Egypt, unafraid of the kings anger for he persevered as though he saw him who is invisible.
- Hebrews 13:6 So we can say with confidence, The Lord is my helper I will not be afraid. What can anyone do to me?
- 1 Peter 3:6 Thus Sarah obeyed Abraham and called him lord. You have become her daughters as long as you do what is good and never let fears alarm you.
- 1 Peter 3:14 But even if you do suffer for doing what is right, you are blessed. Do not fear what they fear, and do not be intimidated,
- 1 John 4:18 There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear for fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not reached perfection in love.