What Does The Bible Say About Self
While the Bible doesnt directly address the idea of self-care, it does offer guidance for understanding the role of our physical and mental health.
Since the time of Moses in the Old Testament, God has provided instruction for the care of our bodies and minds. God values and commands rest and care for our physical bodies . Jesus himself prioritized rest. When faced with great crowds, Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed . He cared that his disciples had no leisure even to eat and instructed them to rest a while .
We can also learn from Jesus instruction to his disciples, recognizing that we cannot live self-sufficiently and must intentionally care for our physical and mental health.
Why Should We Pray For Others
We pray for others for comfort, for salvation, for healing, for safety for any number of reasons. God uses prayer to align our hearts to His will. We can pray that someone comes to know God, or that God will allow their lost dog to return home we can pray for any reason at all.
5. 2 Corinthians 1:11 You also must help us by prayer, so that many will give thanks on our behalf for the blessing granted us through the prayers of many.
6. Psalm 17:6 I call on you, my God, for you will answer me turn your ear to me and hear my prayer.
7. Psalm 102:17 He will respond to the prayer of the destitute he will not despise their plea.
8. James 5:14 Is anyone among you sick? Then he must call for the elders of the church and they are to pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord.
9. Colossians 4:3-4 And pray for us, too, that God may open a door for our message, so that we may proclaim the mystery of Christ, for which I am in chains. Pray that I may proclaim it clearly, as I should.
Dont Care For The Sick To Be Seen By Others
15. Matthew 6:1 Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.
16. Ephesians 4:32 Instead, be kind to each other, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God through Christ has forgiven you.
17. James 1:27 Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
Helping And Advocating For The Sick And Weak
Theres a reason that caregivers are often said to be doing Gods work.
Acts 20:35. I have shewed you all things, how that so laboring ye ought to support the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, It is more blessed to give than to receive.
Luke 14:13-14. But when thou makest a feast, call the poor, the maimed, the lame, the blind: And thou shalt be blessed for they cannot recompense thee: for thou shalt be recompensed at the resurrection of the just.
Matthew 7:12. Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.
Leviticus 19:14. Thou shalt not curse the deaf, nor put a stumbling block before the blind, but shalt fear thy God: I am the LORD.
Isaiah 46:4. And even to your old age I am he and even to hoar hairs will I carry you: I have made, and I will bear even I will carry, and will deliver you.
Matthew 25:35-36, 40. For I was an hungered, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me. And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.
Deuteronomy 27:18. Cursed be he that maketh the blind to wander out of the way. And all the people shall say, Amen.
Giving To Family Is Good
In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: It is more blessed to give than to receive.
As Christians, we are encouraged to give generously. There are so many benefits of giving freely of our abundance. And yes, this can include giving to family members.
Put yourself in the position of a young adult, fresh out of college. Their student loan payments may be coming up soon, and theyre wondering how theyre going to make their finances work with an entry-level job.
Wouldnt filling up their fridge and pantry for them in their new apartment be such a blessing for them? Or maybe you could buy them a new piece of furniture for their apartment.
If youre in a better financial position than they are, the money spent could be a wonderful way to give of your abundance.
Also Check: 365 Do Not Be Afraid Bible Verses
Effective Habits To Embrace In Parenting
To be an effective parent, you must be a leader in your childs life, guiding with a gentle hand and setting a solid example. Dr. Randy Schroeder provides the insight you need to be a leader-parent. As he explores the foundational Rsrelationship, routines, responsibilities, and rulesyoull better understand the role you play in your childs life. Youll learn great phrases to employ such as Either/Or/You Decide and When You/Then You. While there is no perfect parent, this nuts-and-bolts material will equip you to lead your child in a loving, confident manner.
Moving Bible Verses About Loving Others
For Christians, Bible verses about Gods love are a solemn refuge in times of trouble. But Gods love is intertwined with another kind of love: that of loving and serving others. Indeed, if we summarize the contents of the Bible, it all boils down to love for God and for others. One cannot exist without the other. But for this post, well focus on the latter.
When we hear the word love, we tend to think about the romantic kind. But love, especially love for others, comes in all forms and varying degrees. It shows in how we care for our children, respect our parents, and look out for our neighbors and strangers. Its the reason why charity exists and why some people are willing to devote their lives to the service of others. If you think about it, love is essentially the thread that holds our society together.
From the Old to the New Testament, there are tons of bible verses about loving others. Here are some of them:
Don’t Miss: Order Of Bible
Caring For Each Other In The Body Of Christ
1 Timothy 5:1-16
INTRODUCTION: Please take your Bibles and turn with me to the book of 1 Timothy 5:1-16. We are continuing in our message series on doing church together, and today we come to the theme of caring for each other in the body of Christ.
The church is called to do many things, but if the church does not take care of its own people, it is not functioning as the church of Jesus Christ. The church is the body of Christ, and the members of the body must care for each other. That doesnt mean that the church should ignore needs outside of the body. The church should reach out to all people with the love of Christ, but if the church does not take care of its own, it has ceased to function as the church.
In this passage from 1 Timothy, Paul was especially concerned with the widows at Timothys church, and so a lot of Pauls specific instructions have to do with widows. But there are some general principles that we can draw from Pauls instructions that will help us learn how we may better care for each other in the body of Christ.
I. Treat each other in the church as family
II. Take care of those who are older and in need
The next principle we can draw from Pauls instructions to Timothy is this: We should take care of those who are older and in need. Verse 3 lays out the general principle here. Paul writes, Give proper recognition to those widows who are really in need.
A widow who was really in need:
Caring And Bearing Each Others Weaknesses
7. Exodus 17:12 Moses arms soon became so tired he could no longer hold them up. So Aaron and Hur found a stone for him to sit on. Then they stood on each side of Moses, holding up his hands. So his hands held steady until sunset.
8. Romans 15:1- 2 Now we who are strong have an obligation to bear the weaknesses of those without strength, and not to please ourselves. Each one of us must please his neighbor for his good, to build him up.
Also Check: What Order Should You Read The Bible
What Is The Importance Of Praying For Others
One of the benefits from praying is experiencing the peace of God. When we pray, God will work in our hearts. He conforms us to His will and fills us with His peace. We ask the Holy Spirit to intercede on their behalf. We pray for them because we love them and want them to come to know God more deeply.
13. Philippians 4:6-7 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
14. Philippians 1:18-21 Yes, and I will rejoice, for I know that through your prayers and the help of the Spirit of Jesus Christ this will turn out for my deliverance, as it is my eager expectation and hope that I will not be at all ashamed, but that with full courage now as always Christ will be honored in my body, whether by life or by death. For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.
Pray for your enemies
We not only pray for those who we love, but we should even pray for those who hurt us, those that we would even call our enemies. This helps us to keep from being bitter. It also helps us to grow in empathy for them, and not to harbor unforgiveness.
15. Luke 6:27-28 But to you who are listening I say: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you.
16. Matthew 5:44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you.
Care For The Poor Oppressed Orphans And Widows
9. Psalm 82:3-4 Defend the cause of the poor and the fatherless! Vindicate the oppressed and suffering! Rescue the poor and needy! Deliver them from the power of the wicked!
10. James 1:27 Pure and undefiled religion before our God and Father is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself unstained by the world.
11. Proverbs 19:17 Giving help to the poor is like loaning money to the Lord. He will pay you back for your kindness.
12. Isaiah 58:10 and if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry and satisfy the needs of the oppressed, then your light will rise in the darkness, and your night will become like the noonday.
13. Luke 3:11 He answered, If you have two shirts,. If you have food, share that too.
14. Deuteronomy 15:11 For there will never cease to be poor in the land. Therefore I command you, You shall open wide your hand to your brother, to the needy and to the poor, in your land.
15. Deuteronomy 15:7 But if there are any poor Israelites in your towns when you arrive in the land the LORD your God is giving you, do not be hard-hearted or tightfisted toward them.
16. Exodus 22:25 If you lend money to one of My people among you who is poor, you must not act as a creditor to him you are not to charge him interest.
17. Deuteronomy 24:14 You shall not exploit a hired worker who is poor and needy, whether he is one of your countrymen or one of your strangers who are in your land in your towns.
Also Check: Is The Bible Chronological
Finally Self Care Only Truly Works To Revive Body Mind And Soul With God
True, fulfilling self care starts and ends with God. The kind of care that actually satisfies our needs goes back to God, like anything else.
We are made to crave him. Were made to know him and grow closer to him. Real self-care gives us an opportunity to glorify him, to worship how incredible he made us, to appreciate his design and plan for our lives. He made us to be fulfilled together with him.
Otherwise we are simply filling a bottomless pit with momentary desires and what the world say will make us feel happy and whole. Some examples, for me, are buying something I dont need, for the instant pleasure of having something new. Its eating too much of something I know isnt benefitting my body, just because it tastes good right now.
Things that numb or provide escape are temporary solutions, when cultivating ourselves in God is the only true answer. This is important when we consider a biblical approach to self care.
Youll know when something is refreshing or when something is draining by how you feel later. Are you responding to everyday life with renewed vigor, inspiration, encouragement, joy, peace? Or are you left feeling empty, sick, tired, negative, or angry?
Giving Up Sugar Tasting God’s Goodness
As a latchkey kid, Wendy Speake turned to sugar for comfort. Every Friday, she would pedal to the candy show and use her allowance to fill her bag with candy. And one day, when she was older and a mom of three young boys, she came to realize that she was still pedaling away from her stress and using sugar as comfort, instead of turning to Jesus. She was joyless, worn out, tired, and in need of a change. In this interview, Wendy will challenge Christians to take 40 days to focus on fasting from something they turn to instead of Jesus for comfort. She invited people to break free from a dependence on sugar and taste the goodness of God.
You May Like: What Order To Read The Bible
Not Caring And Helping Others When We Can
41. 1 John 3:17-18 But whoever has the worlds goods, and sees his brother in need and closes his heart against him, how does the love of God abide in him? Little children, let us not love with word or with tongue, but in deed and truth.
42. James 2:15-17 If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacks daily food, and one of you says to them, Go in peace, keep warm and eat well, but you do not give them what the body needs, what good is it? So also faith, if it does not have works, is dead being by itself.
Loving Your Spouse Through The Seasons Of Marriage
Debra Fileta has identified the four seasons of marriage that correspond with our natural seasons spring , summer , fall , and winter . In this interview, she will help couples better understand the four seasons of healthy relationships, what to expect during each one, and how to carefully navigate them for a stronger marriage.
Recommended Reading: Sanctified Biblical Definition
The Holiness Of Helpfulness
Helping others isnt just a good thing to do it is a holy thing to do. This means that helping others is one of the ways that God sets apart his church in the world. Christians are meant to separate themselves from the spirit of this age by refusing to live selfish lives and, instead, serving others.
Matthew 5:42: Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.
Ephesians 2:10: For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.
Galatians 2:10: Only, they asked us to remember the poor, the very thing I was eager to do.
Galatians 6:2: Carry each others burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.
Hebrews 6:10: God is not unjust he will not forget your work and the love you have shown him as you have helped his people and continue to help them.
Hebrews 13:16: And do not forget to do good and to share with others, for with such sacrifices God is pleased.
Luke 6:30: Give to everyone who begs from you, and from one who takes away your goods do not demand them back.
John 15:13: Greater love has no one than this: to lay down ones life for ones friends.
Romans 12:10: Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor.
Romans 12:13: Share with the Lords people who are in need. Practice hospitality.