Praying For Help With Profanity
16. Psalm 141:1-3 O Lord, I cry out to you, Come quickly. Open your ears to me when I cry out to you. Let my prayer be accepted as sweet-smelling incense in your presence. Let the lifting up of my hands in prayer be accepted as an evening sacrifice. O Lord, set a guard at my mouth. Keep watch over the door of my lips.
Are Israel’s Jews Fake Khazar Or Edomite Jews
Wait, what did I just say? Israel is Jewish or Judah?
Whenever you make a statement like that on the Web, the conspiracy theorists will arrive to dispute that. This leads to doubt among sincere believers that the people in Israel are really Jews.
Could they be fake Jews or imposters such as Edomites or Khazars? After all, there are two verses in Revelation that mention people claiming to be Jews who are synagogue of Satan instead .
I encourage each person to consult good scholarship on this Edomite/Khazar question. My friend Nehemia Gordon is who I go to with questions like this. He spoke on this very idea that Jews in Israel are not real with Michael Rood on “Shabbat Night Live” the same night I put this article out originally .
Hear what scholar Nehemia Gordon has to say about the Edomite Khazar Jews theories :
Actually, before I ever met Nehemia, I never believed in this fake Jew theory because I knew my Bible. I saw in prophecy that “Judah” was specifically named in prophecy as involved in end times battles at Jerusalem.
The first is the coming Mideast Nuclear War that Judah wins just as they have their past three regional wars with the Arabs :
The other war that Zechariah names Judah as fighting in is Armageddon. In this one, Judah is on the wrong side fighting against the Lord. Like every other nation at this point, they will be under the and not in their right mind.
Anyway, don’t believe conspiracy theories about who Israel is today believe your own Bible.
My Confession For Today
I confess that I am safe and shielded by the blood of Jesus Christ. When God placed me in Christ, He surrounded me with divine protection that cannot be breached. No demon, no devil, no evil worker has the power to speak any kind of curse on my life. I am curse-free because Jesus Christ bore the curse for me in every form, that I might become the blessed of God forevermore. I do not live in fear of the devil, and I rejoice that greater is He who is in me than he that is in the world!
I declare this by faith in Jesus name!
You May Like: Inerrant Vs Infallible
What If I Still Believe Modern Israel Is Gods Promised Land To The Jews
If Gods covenant with Abraham applies to the modern state of Israel , and God brought the Jewish people to the land to keep His promise, then the obedience clause of the covenant must apply to the people there today.
If one of the prophets were to visit Israel today, the prophet would see, for example, that
65% of the Jewish population is non-religious
Innocent people Palestinians in particular are killed
In short, if an Old Testament prophet walked through Israel todayits settlements, prisons, military headquarters, and Israeli-controlled Palestinian slumshe could find enough material for an old fashioned fire and brimstone sermon.
God would have ample evidence to demand repentance or eviction.
When ancient Israelites took advantage of widows, orphans, strangers, and the poor, the Hebrew prophets spoke out criticizing their actions and the condition of their hearts. This was not cursing, but exhortation for the good of the nation.
Those who love modern Israel especially those who believe its people are chosen should likewise care enough to speak up about its sinful actions and policies, so that Israel might repent before God once again drives them out of the land.
Graceful Bible Verses About Cursing And Swearing
by Ryan Hart | Updated on December 20, 2018 | Post may contain affiliate links
In this post Im going to share with you the most impactful bible verses about cursing and using profanity that Ive read.
These scriptures on cursing will make you think twice about the words that come out of your mouth from now on.
Ready to find out what the bible says about swearing?
Lets get started.
Read Also: How Many Times Bible Says Fear Not
Be Careful Who You Hang Around With
If youre not careful you can pick up on unwholesome speech.
21. Proverbs 6:27 Can a man carry fire next to his chest and his clothes not be burned?
22. Jeremiah 10:2 This is what the LORD says: Do not learn the ways of the nations or be terrified by signs in the heavens, though the nations are terrified by them.
23. Colossians 1:10 So as to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to him, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God.
24. Ephesians 4:24 Put on your new nature, created to be like Godtruly righteous and holy.
25. Proverbs 16:23 The hearts of the wise make their mouths prudent, and their lips promote instruction.
Problem #: Rule Of Audience Ignored
Some readers will have already spotted what’s wrong with applying these verses to Israel. Hint: proof-texting, or finding a verse, any verse, even tangentially on the same topic as your theory to back it up .
With how commonly proof-texting is used in Christianity, you would not know that this breaks one of the foundation rules for interpreting the Bible correctly: paying attention or regard to context.
The principle proof-texting often violates is the rule of audience. In both verses above, the audience or subject is one of the patriarchs. It’s not talking about the nation of Israel, let alone the modern nation of Israel 3500 years removed from ancient Israel.
As for righteous Abraham and Isaac, it’s easy for me to accept that, for as long as they lived, they were protected in this way. They were righteous men with a special calling. But what about their descendants who those verses do not directly speak about?
You May Like: What Is The Chronological Order Of The Bible
How Can We Praise A Holy God With Our Mouth Then Use It For Profanity And Bad Language
15. James 3:9-11 Sometimes it praises our Lord and Father, and sometimes it curses those who have been made in the image of God. And so blessing and cursing come pouring out of the same mouth. Surely, my brothers and sisters, this is not right! Does a spring of water bubble out with both fresh water and bitter water? Does a fig tree produce olives, or a grapevine produce figs? No, and you cant draw fresh water from a salty spring.
Questions For You To Consider
Recommended Reading: What Does The Bible Say About Tatoos
Questions For Further Study
1. Astruc compares our context with the intercession of Moses after the misconduct of the spies and the golden calf . Explain the connection.
2. And Balak saw all that Israel had done to the Amorites . The two kings on whom we relied were not able to withstand them. How much less will we be able to! What is the point of Rashis explanation and what impression does he correct? What prompted his comment? In answering, compare Rashis comment to Genesis 18, 3 on the first word to the sidra.
3. And the sent of messengers unto Balaam to call him saying, Behold there is a people come out of Egypt Behold, they cover the face of earth, and they abide over against me. A nameless people who have broken out like slaves to carve out estates for themselves and dwell in a land not their own.
Reasons We Must Stand With Israel
Recently, I have had the dreadful privilege of standing just feet away from the Gaza Strip in Israel as I spoke to mothers and children’s workers about the horrors of weekly bombings in that region. I actually stood near one of the recently discovered tunnels from the Gaza side to the Israel side, built to terrorize the Israelis in the region. I learned that over 90% of the children in that region suffer from PTSD due to the weekly sirens and sprints to the bomb shelter, with just 15 seconds to go from certain death to safety.
While the things I have learned the last few months in Israel were chilling, those fears don’t begin to compare with the prophetic heaviness I feel for the Christian leaders here in the U.S., especially those with younger congregations and large social media platforms. I believe the Lord has told me to ask three questions and issue a commission.
As it relates to Israel and the people of Israel:
1. Where are your voices?
2. Where is your concern?
3. Where is your influence?
I pastor a local church, and I understand that there are gospel mandates for the church to preach the gospel and to be salt and light in local communitiesbut there are also promises and covenants for leaders that can propel your ministries to the next level. These have nothing to do with your backyard or your local reach. These have to do with God’s global mandate when He declared, “My house will be called a house of prayer for all nations” .
God Promises Abraham Land
The first part of Gods promise to Abraham was land. Today the land is called Israel. This promise is repeated in Genesis 15:18-21 and 17:8. Exodus 23:28-31 describes the boundary of the land as extending from the Red Sea to the wilderness of the Euphrates River. A more detailed description of the Promised Land is given in Numbers 34:1-13.
Bible Verses About Cuss Words And Swearing
1. Romans 3:13-14 Their talk is foul, like the stench from an open grave. Their tongues are filled with lies.Snake venom drips from their lips. Their mouths are full of cursing and bitterness.
2. James 1:26 If a person thinks that he is religious but cant control his tongue, he is fooling himself. That persons religion is worthless.
3. Ephesians 4:29 Dont use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them.
4. Psalm 39:1 For Jeduthun, the choir director: A psalm of David. I said to myself, I will watch what I do and not sin in what I say. I will hold my tongue when the ungodly are around me.
5. Psalm 34:13-14 Then keep your tongue from speaking evil and your lips from telling lies! Turn away from evil and do good. Search for peace, and work to maintain it.
6. Proverbs 21:23 Watch your tongue and keep your mouth shut, and you will stay out of trouble.
7. Matthew 12:35-36 Good people do the good things that are in them. But evil people do the evil things that are in them. I can guarantee that on judgment day people will have to give an account of every careless word they say.
8. Proverbs 4:24 Remove perverse speech from your mouth keep devious talk far from your lips.
9. Ephesians 5:4 and there must be no filthiness or foolish talk, or vulgar joking, which are not fitting, but rather giving of thanks.
You May Like: How To Read The Bible In Chronological Order
The Meaning Of Words Can Change
Tracing the history of words to find out why theyre seen as profanity can be interesting. But that information has nothing to do with the way people use the words in modern times.
As Christians, we should consider how these words are perceived in our culture today. For example:
- What do people really mean when they use the f-word?
- What are they trying to communicate?
- How does it feel when someone says it toyou?
- Is there any way the f-word can build others up?
- Does it ever benefit those who hear it?
Of course not. Profanity is always negative and hurtful. In fact, it amounts to verbal abuse and Jesus had some important things to say about the seriousness of that issue .
Instead, we should speak positive and encouraging words. The apostle Paul says, Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person .
Still not convinced? . Our staff would be happy to talk with you about your question!
ResourcesIf a title is currently unavailable through Focus on the Family, we encourage you to use another retailer.
Newest Release – Episode 5: Its Going to be Amazing!
After a couple has chosen life, hear the heartwarming stories of children that culture would have cast aside, yet are making tremendous impacts in their communities. Whether the diagnosis was adverse or the circumstances were difficult, these stories will inspire you to come along side of families who have chosen life!
How Weve Softened The Language In The Bible
We tend to view the Bible as a book that is pure. It doesnt contain anything bad. But we couldnt be more wrong. The Bible is full of stories that would make your grandma blush.
Now, let me be clear. Im not saying the Bible is bad. It isnt. And Im not saying God isnt pure and holy. He is. Im saying the Bible doesnt hide the messiness and brokenness of human beings.
The Bible is a book that tells of a fallen, broken, and messed up people that do some very disturbing things. We will look at some of those in a minute. The point is, the Bible isnt as clean as some Christians think.
Lets look at some examples.
We often read the Song of Solomon as a cute little relationship between two lovers. But this is no PG encounter its so explicit that the Jews didnt let their kids read it until they became adults.
Consider Song of Solomon 5:14. Most translations say something like his body is polished ivory. But thats not a good translation. The wife is comparing an elephant tusk to her husbands you know In other words, she is saying he is WELL endowed.
This book is FULL of extremely sexually explicit imagery. Its enough to make most people blush.
Those are just a few examples of the sexually explicit content. Theres other offensive words the Bible uses too.
I could go on, but I think we get the point. The Bible is not afraid to use harsh words, sexual description, and has lots of violence.
Also Check: What Does Bible Say About Cremation Vs Burial
What About Pray For The Peace Of Jerusalem
Another verse people always bring up when they hear me question their unquestioning support or allegiance to Israel is this verse:
Psalm 122:6 Pray for the peace of Jerusalem: “May those who love you be secure. … “
Christians take this passage in various mistaken ways:
What this thinking misses is that Psalm 122 is a song:
Psalm 122:1 A Davidic song of ascents. I rejoiced with those who said to me,” Let us go to the house of the LORD.”
This is not Jesus or even Moses speaking it’s David. This is not a command or promise for every Bible reader to pick up and direct at themselves. It’s a song in the book of Psalms written by a Jew about going up to Jerusalem for the pilgrim feasts three times a year. He wrote it for an Israelite audience who would have interest and inclination to pray for Jerusalem’s peace. It was their capital. You’re free to pray for its peace or the peace of your own national capital instead.
Is It A Sin To Swear Cuss Or Curse
The Bible makes it clear that swearing and cussing or cursing are sinful. Ephesians 4:29 says, Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Likewise, 1 Peter 3:10 says, For, whoever would love life and see good days must keep his tongue from evil and his lips from deceitful speech. In summary, James 3:9-12 says, With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in Gods likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be. Can both fresh water and salt water flow from the same spring? My brothers, can a fig tree bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh water.
The Biblical analogy of both salt water and fresh water coming from the same spring portrays the point that it is uncharacteristic for a believer to have both praise and cursing come from his/her mouth. That is, we cannot praise God at the same time cursing others made in His likeness. In the same light, Jesus Christ tells us in Matthew 5:34-37 that we should not swear an oath at all. Jesus makes us understand that what comes out of our mouths is what feels our hearts. Sooner or later, the evil in the heart comes out through cursing and swearing. But when our hearts are filled with Gods goodness, praise for Him and love for others will pour forth.
Is It Wrong To Swear To God?
You May Like: What Does Bible Say About Cremation Vs Burial