Remembering Where We Came From
Exodus 20:12 Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the Lord your God is giving you.
Proverbs 6:20 My son, keep your fathers command and do not forsake your mothers teaching.
Proverbs 15:20 A wise son brings joy to his father, but a foolish man despises his mother.
Colossians 3:20 Children, obey your parents in everything, for this pleases the Lord.
2 Corinthians 6:18 And I will be a father to you, and you shall be sons and daughters to me, says the Lord Almighty.
Genesis 1:28 And God blessed them. And God said to them, Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth and subdue it and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over every living thing that moves on the earth.
Ephesians 3:14-15 For this reason, I bow my knees before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth is named
Remembering where we came from is an important part of our family. Beyond our parents giving us life, we were a gift directly from God to the earth. We were named by Him and are His children. When it comes to family, we came from God and were given to our parents, who He commands us to honor.
We Are All Gods Children So We Are All Family
Ephesians 1:5 God decided in advance to adopt us into his own family by bringing us to himself through Jesus Christ. This is what he wanted to do, and it gave him great pleasure.
Romans 12:5 So we, though many, are one body in Christ, and individually members one of another.
Galatians 3:28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.
Galatians 6:10 Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers.
Ephesians 3:15 From whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name.
Gods value for family is so high, He is constantly referring to us all as His children. He reminds us that not only do we belong to Him, but we also belong to each other. His desire is for us to see everyone as Gods people that are worthy of the same love and grace He casts on us.
Short Bible Verses About Love
- Proverbs 10:12: Hatred stirs up conflict, but love covers over all wrongs.
- Song of Solomon 2:16: I am my beloved’s, and my beloved is mine.
- Song of Solomon 3:4: I have found the one whom my soul loves.
- John 15:12: My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you.
- Corinthians 16:14: Do everything in love.
- 1 Peter 4:8: Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins.
- Ehesians 5:21: Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ.
- 1 John 4:8: Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.
- Corinthians 13:13: And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
- Romans 12:9: Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good.
- Colossians 3:14: And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.
- Luke 6:31: Do to others as you would have them do to you.
- Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.
- Proverbs 31:10: Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies.
- Proverbs 17:17: A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.
- Ephesians 4:2: Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.
Recommended Reading: Do Not Be Troubled Bible Verse
Bible Verses About Love
The Bible has a lot to say about the bonds of love and devotion. Bible verses about love speak of the perfect love that everyone should have toward their friends, family and mankind, not to mention the Lord. However, Bible verses about love also offer a revealing look at the strength and hope that romantic love can provide. It can be difficult to put your feelings for one another into words, but these Bible verses about love seem to capture its essence just right.
13. Romans 13:8: “Owe no one anything, except to love each other, for the one who loves another has fulfilled the law.”
14. 1 Corinthians 13:4-5: “Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.”
15. 1 Corinthians 13:2: “If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing.”
16. 1 Corinthians 16:14: “Do everything in love.”
17. Song of Solomon 8:7: “Many waters cannot quench love; rivers cannot wash it away. If one were to give all the wealth of his house for love, it would be utterly scorned.”
18. Psalm 143:8: “Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I entrust my life.”
21. Ephesians 4:2: “Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.”
Other Ways Of Saying God Is Love
In addition, this truth, which is Gods description of His fundamental nature, is expressed many times in other scriptures.
Another often-quoted verse is John 3:16, For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. In John 16:27 we read, For the Father Himself loves you. The apostle John, again, speaks of Gods love in 1 John 3:1 when he says, Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us.
These verses are simply a sampling of the many times this truth is expressed in the Scriptures. God is love, and He expresses His love in many ways.
When commenting on the verse God is love, commentators speak of God being benevolence itself . Or, as the Jamieson, Fausset, Brown Commentary records, God is fundamentally and essentially LOVE: not merely is loving.
However, none of the commentators explain the ultimate purpose of Godwhat God is doing because of His nature of love. The greatest expression of His love toward humanity is revealed in the purpose for our creation.
You May Like: What Does The Bible Say About Protecting Yourself
Bible Verses About Family
For it was you who created my inward parts; you knit me together in my mothers womb.
Gods intimate relationship with us and His plans for our lives begins at conception. As He is forming us physically, God has already decided His plans for our family structure. Whatever He decides, no matter what we have or do not, His sovereignty is clear. God has a plan wherever He puts us.
For if you forgive others their offenses, your heavenly Father will forgive you as well. But if you dont forgive others, your Father will not forgive your offenses.
Unknown to some, Gods forgiveness is contingent on our ability to forgive others. This includes our families who sometimes hurt us worse than anyone else.
A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for a difficult time.
The ideal family has a bond built on love and one that has survived adversity.
Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself for her.
Love calls for sacrifice, much like Jesus sacrificed himself. We as believers are also supposed to sacrifice for our family.
Iron sharpens iron, and one person sharpens another.
Our words and actions have the ability to build others up. This is especially true for parent-child relationships where a child learns how to survive and thrive in life through their caretaker.
Honor your father and your mother so that you may have a long life in the land that the Lord your God is giving you.
What Does The Bible Say About First Loves
- Betsy St. Amant HaddoxiBelieve Contributing Writer
The phrase evokes powerful feelings. For many, the term conjures images of a first crush as a teenager, or impressions of love at first sight. But first love is a much more intimate concept than simply raging hormones and pictures of pulsing cartoon hearts. Its God, Himself.;
1 John 4:8 tells us that God is love. This means that any worldly love falls short of the true definition. Think about the most dynamic couples, real or fictional, that are known throughout historyRomeo and Juliet, Robert and Elizabeth Barrett Browning, Johnny Cash and June Carter, to name a few. Now think about current celebrity match-ups in the media that make you swoon. As romantic as any of those might seem right now, those examples arent true love. Without God involved in the process, without that cord of three strands that isnt easily broken , no human relationship can ever be real love. It will always miss the mark.;
1 Corinthians 13, known as the love chapter, states that faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love. I believe its important to note the greatest of these character traits only comes from God! He is the source of lovenot romance novels, not sonnets and poetry, and certainly not Hollywood.
Here are three things the Bible reveals to us about first loves.
Don’t Miss: How Many Books Are In The King James Bible
Bible Verses About Relationships
There’s no relationship manual that tells you how to overcome obstacles and strengthen the ties you have with your loved ones . Thankfully, Bible verses about love serve as excellent guides; these scriptures offer jewels of wisdom that can help you navigate the ups and downs of love, as well as convey your heartfelt thoughts to your future spouse. There are a number of marriage scriptures and Bible verses about love that touch on the subject of relationships that you may want to mention on your wedding day.
26. Hebrews 10:24-25: “And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one anotherâand all the more as you see the Day approaching.”
27. Proverbs 30:18-19: “There are three things that amaze meâno, four things that I don’t understand: how an eagle glides through the sky, how a snake slithers on a rock, how a ship navigates the ocean, how a man loves a woman.”
28. 1 John 4:12: “No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us.”
29. Proverbs 31:10: “Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies.”
31. Romans 12:10: “Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves.”
32. 1 Peter 4:8: “Most important of all, continue to show deep love for each other, for love covers a multitude of sins.”
33. Ephesians 5:21: “Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ.”
Bible Verses On The Importance Of Family
Proverbs 22:6 –Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it.
Genesis 2:24 -;Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.
Psalm 128:3 –;Your wife will be like a fruitful vine within your house; your children will be like olive shoots around your table.
Joshua 24:15 –;And if it is evil in your eyes to serve the Lord, choose this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your fathers served in the region beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.
1 Timothy 3:4 -;He must manage his own household well, with all dignity keeping his children submissive,
Ephesians 3:14-15; -;For this reason I bow my knees before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth is named,
Psalm 127:3-5 -;Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one’s youth. Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them! He shall not be put to shame when he speaks with his enemies in the gate.
1 Peter 3:1 -;Likewise, wives, be subject to your own husbands, so that even if some do not obey the word, they may be won without a word by the conduct of their wives,
Ephesians 6:4 -;Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger, but bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord.
Also Check: What Does The Bible Say About Protecting Israel
What Is The Meaning Of Psalm 46 1 3
The Psalms tell us that God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. With God as our refuge, we need not fear we will not fear even as the earth gives way and as the waters roar. It means we can take comfort in being in Gods presence, trusting in the promise of eternal life.
Our Faith Begins Within The Home
Deuteronomy 6:6-7 These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.
Acts 16:31 They replied, Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved-you and your household.
Joshua 24:15 But if you refuse to serve the Lord, then choose today whom you will serve. Would you prefer the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates? Or will it be the gods of the Amorites in whose land you now live? But as for me and my family, we will serve the Lord.
Acts 10:2 He and his family were devout and God-fearing; he gave generously to those in need and prayed to God regularly.
God emphasizes the importance of family because thats where our faith begins. We learn about Christ and the teachings He commands from a godly family. His intention for our families is for us to continue to bring children to Him, so that they too will grow in faith and build their own Godly family.
Recommended Reading: How To Interpret The Bible For Yourself
Does The Bible Say All To Stand
When you have done all according to the word of God and it seems like nothing is happening, then stand. Stand firm, hold your ground, and defend your territory against the enemy, by submitting to God and hitting the enemy in the name of Jesus. This will surely make us to overcome in the evil day. Hallelujah!
How To Deal With Toxic Family Members Biblically
Not sure how to deal with toxic family members Biblically? Dont let them slowly drive you insane. Heres what the Bible says about cutting people out of your life.
Are you struggling to figure out how to deal with toxic family members Biblically?
Maybe youve been wondering, What does the Bible say about cutting people out of your life? and now youre looking up Bible verses about toxic family or Bible verses about toxic relationships in general.
Maybe you arent even sure if you are dealing with toxic family members or if your family is simply annoying.
You know you want to be a good Christian and do the right thing, but it seems like no matter how much you love, forgive and turn the other cheek, the mistreatment never stops only gets worse.
The situation is completely unhealthy, everyone involved is miserable, and nothing is working, no matter how much you try.
You want to be kind, but theyre driving you crazy, and youre not sure what to do.
So now youre wondering, What does the Bible say about dealing with toxic relationships?
The good news is, if you have toxic people in your life or you are in a toxic relationship, you are not alone!
In fact, I had a sweet reader ask me how to deal with toxic family members Biblically not that long ago, and I thought you might benefit from hearing my answer to her as well.
We want to know how to deal with toxic family members Biblically so we can use these Bibles wisdom to guide our actions.
Don’t Miss: What Does The Bible Say About Purity
Accept Responsibility For Any Wrongdoing On Your Part
Next, lets take a minute to look at yourself and any part you may have played in the issue: Have you done anything to make the situation worse? Or failed to do something to make the situation better?
While the situation may not be ultimately your fault , once we reach adulthood, each of us is responsible for and accountable for our own actions.
And this is good news! Because it means that you have the power and ability to choose different actions, and to improve your situation.
Its time to get honest with yourself.
- Have you said or done anything hurtful to the other person?
- Have you ever failed to treat them as kindly or as respectfully as you should have?
- Have you ever been selfish, self-centered or mean-spirited?
Again, Im not saying the mistreatment is your fault. But if you have done things that hurt the other party, they may be acting out of that hurt. And a heartfelt apology for any wrongdoings on your part may be just what the other person needs to heal.
You arent responsible for them, but you are responsible and accountable for YOU no matter what theyve done to deserve it.