Bible Verses About Marriage
The Bible contains numerous references to the sanctity and beauty of marriage. Its poetic love scriptures eloquently sum up what it means to be in love and to commit yourself to your significant other for the rest of your life. These Bible verses about marriage are the ideal addition to your wedding vows, and make beautiful readings to help make your ceremony even more special. For your reception toast, wedding programs or invitations, consider using other Bible verses about love that everyone can relate to. After all, there’s a myriad of ways to love one another outside of marriage.
1. Genesis 1:27-28: “So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him male and female he created them. And God blessed them. And God said to them, ‘Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth and subdue it and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over every living thing that moves on the earth.’ “
2. Malachi 2:14-15: “But you say, ‘Why does he not?’ Because the LORD was witness between you and the wife of your youth, to whom you have been faithless, though she is your companion and your wife by covenant.”
3. Isaiah 54:5: “For your Maker is your husband, the LORD of hosts is his name and the Holy One of Israel is your Redeemer, the God of the whole earth he is called.”
6. Colossians 3:14: “And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.”
Bible Verses About The Beauty Of Marriage
These scriptures from the Holy Bible are faithful reminders of the power of love and marriage.
There’s a reason why even the most hard-hearted of us cry at weddings. Sure, some people who love everything having to do with parties may be moved by the use of amazing rustic wedding ideas and others say they’re just in it for the cake, but deep down, everyone can agree that it’s very moving when two people decide to devote their lives to one another. Marriage isn’t easy, so it’s important to keep some words of wisdom close at hand. Whether you’re looking for just the right wedding quote for a new couple’s wedding card, or a special love quote for him in your next anniversary card, you’ll be in good shape, because of plenty of people have opinions on the matter. We’ve also amassed 30 quotes from the Good Book that are all about marriage.
“So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.”
“Be completely humble and gentle be patient, bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace.”
“And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.”
“Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.”
“Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.”
Christ And The Church Marriage
4. Ephesians 5:25-27 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave Himself for her to make her holy, cleansing her with the washing of water by the word. He did this to present the church to Himself in splendor, without spot or wrinkle or anything like that, but holy and blameless.
5. Revelation 21:2 And I saw the holy city, the new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven like a bride beautifully dressed for her husband.
6. Revelation 21:9 Then one of the seven angels who had the seven bowls full of the seven final plagues came and spoke to me, saying, Come, I will show you the bride, the wife of the Lamb!
Also Check: What Does The Bible Say About Vaccinations
Show Hopes Biblical Context For Understanding Marriage Gender And Sexuality
In everything Show Hope does, we strive to be guided by the gospel and Gods word . As sinners in need of a savior, we endeavor that all Show Hope operations and decisions reflect our risen Saviors sacrifice for each of us, enabling and actualizing our eternal adoption into his kingdom.
Above all, Show Hope seeks to live out Jesus commandment in Mark 12:30-31 30And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength. 31 The second is this: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. There is no other commandment greater than these.
Jesus commands that we are to love God first, living authentically and true to his word, and then love our neighbors, serving and supporting them in accordance to his truth. Every person must be afforded compassion, love, kindness, respect, and dignity . Hateful and harassing behavior or attitudes directed toward any individual are to be repudiated and are not in accord with Scripture nor the beliefs of Show Hope.
Furthermore, we believe that God intends sexual intimacy to occur between a man and a woman who are married to each other . We believe that God has commanded that no intimate sexual activity be engaged in outside of a marriage between a man and a woman.
Get to Know Us
It Is A Sin And A Violation Of The Covenant
According to Jesus Christ in a passage found in John 7:538:11, called A Woman caught for Adultery. It is a sin, yet only a man who has not sinned has the right to condemn such an act.
Taken together Christians are not allowed to commit adultery nor are they allowed to denounce those who did. In the story, Jesus implied that all men are sinners and as such, only God can act as the Judge of all things.
Also watch: 7 Most Common Reasons for Divorce
Also Check: How Many Times Does Bible Say Fear Not
Husband And Wife Become One
He brought her to the man. And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man. Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and they shall become one flesh .
Have you ever noticed how couples who have been happily married for many years often seem to blend together on so many levels? They know what the other person is thinking and how their spouse will react to a given situation. They can finish each others sentences. They have so much history together that they almost feel like the other is an extension of themselves. Thats what the Bible is talking about when it says a husband and wife become one flesh.
Love And Respect In Marriage
Husbands ought to love their own wives as their own bodies. . . . Let each one of you . . . so love his own wife as himself, and let the wife see that she respects her husband . Without mutual love and respect on the part of husbands and wives, a marriage cannot last. Keep up the early attentions. Look for the positive qualities in your spouse, and nurture that respect and love that first drew you together.
Read Also: What Is The Chronological Order Of The Bible
Dont Forget To Ask The Lord
James 1:5 reminds us that,
If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him.
If you are facing communication problems in your marriage, remember the Lord is always there. You can always turn to him through bible verses about communication. Offer your worries to Him in prayer. Let Him speak words of wisdom and comfort into your heart. If your partner is a fellow person of faith, you might like to pray or read the bible together. This is a wonderful way to grow closer as a couple while growing in your faith.
Concerning bible verses about communication, in the video below, Jimmy Evans talks about how communication is the primary way of knowing your partner. He shares 5 standards we need to set in our communication in marriage.
The bible is a rich resource of inspiration and guidance. Turn to it today to get a better understanding of biblical communication in marriage. Let it steer your course towards a richer and more loving marriage.
Top 10 Bible Verses About Marriage
The Bible has a lot to say about marriage, so lets make a Top Ten List of the most important Bible texts about marriageand then look at each one more closely.
1) Mark 10:6-9 = God instituted marriage and gives it His blessing.
2) Genesis 2:18 = God created humans with an innate need and desire for the close bond that marriage provides.
3) Genesis 2:23, 24 = Husband and wife become one in the marriage bond.
4) Ecclesiastes 9:9 = Marriage is a lifelong commitment.
5) Ephesians 5:28, 33 = Husbands and wives are to love and respect each other.
6) II Corinthians 6:14 = Husbands and wives should be bonded together with a similarity of beliefs, goals, and objectives.
7) Exodus 20:17 = Husbands and wives are to be sexually faithful to each other in the marriage relationship.
8) Matthew 5:32 = Adultery is the only biblically acceptable reason for divorce.
9) Isaiah 62:5 = An ideal marriage relationship mirrors Gods loving relationship with His people.
10) Proverbs 31:10 = A strong marriage relationship is a precious thing.
Recommended Reading: Definition Of Sanctified In The Bible
God Uses Marriage For Reproduction
26. Genesis 1:28 God blessed them and said to them, Be fruitful and multiply! Fill the earth and subdue it! Rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air and every creature that moves on the ground.
Christians wait until marriage. Marriage is to fulfill our sexual needs. In fact, it is better to marry than to burn with lust.
27. 1 Corinthians 7:1-5 Now for the matters you wrote about: It is good for a man not to have sexual relations with a woman. But since sexual immorality is occurring, each man should have sexual relations with his own wife, and each woman with her own husband. The husband should fulfill his marital duty to his wife, and likewise the wife to her husband. The wife does not have authority over her own body but yields it to her husband. In the same way, the husband does not have authority over his own body but yields it to his wife. Do not deprive each other except perhaps by mutual consent and for a time, so that you may devote yourselves to prayer. Then come together again so that Satan will not tempt you because of your lack of self-control.
28. 1 Corinthians 7:9 But if they cannot control themselves, they should marry, for it is better to marry than to burn with passion.
When will God give me a spouse?
29. Proverbs 31:10 A wife of noble character who can find? She is worth far more than rubies.
Lack Of Commitment To The Marriage
Several years ago, in the midst of a midlife crisis, God impressed upon me that he had provided everything I need in my wife. Put into that perspectivethat your wife is a tremendous blessing from the Lord in every way. Knowing that, a man can pour his whole heart into committing to being all she needs him to be, too.
Also Check: Order Of The Bible
Bible Verses About Hope For A Troubled Marriage
These are just a few of the Bible verses about hope in troubled times that I advise you to search out. Write them down. Take the time to memorize one. When marriage is hard when you need hope for marriage it helps to remind yourself that our hope is not in marriage but in God.
- Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord And whose trust is the Lord.Jeremiah 17:7 NASB
- For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope. Jeremiah 29:11 NASB
- The Lord is my portion, says my soul, Therefore I have hope in Him. Lamentations 3:24 NASB
- Rejoicing in hope, persevering in tribulation, devoted to prayer,Romans 12:12 NASB
I highly recommend that you repeat that process with the next set of bible verses for a troubled marriage as well. By reading the verses, writing them out you will be strengthening your spiritual armor for the battle to come. This is a key component of building the characteristics of a Godly marriage that you so desperately want.
Bible Verses About Relationships
There’s no relationship manual that tells you how to overcome obstacles and strengthen the ties you have with your loved ones . Thankfully, Bible verses about love serve as excellent guides these scriptures offer jewels of wisdom that can help you navigate the ups and downs of love, as well as convey your heartfelt thoughts to your future spouse. There are a number of marriage scriptures and Bible verses about love that touch on the subject of relationships that you may want to mention on your wedding day.
26. Hebrews 10:24-25: “And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one anotherâand all the more as you see the Day approaching.”
27. Proverbs 30:18-19: “There are three things that amaze meâno, four things that I don’t understand: how an eagle glides through the sky, how a snake slithers on a rock, how a ship navigates the ocean, how a man loves a woman.”
28. 1 John 4:12: “No one has ever seen God but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us.”
29. Proverbs 31:10: “Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies.”
31. Romans 12:10: “Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves.”
32. 1 Peter 4:8: “Most important of all, continue to show deep love for each other, for love covers a multitude of sins.”
33. Ephesians 5:21: “Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ.”
Don’t Miss: Chronological Order Of Bible
Short Bible Verses About Love
- Proverbs 10:12: Hatred stirs up conflict, but love covers over all wrongs.
- Song of Solomon 2:16: I am my beloved’s, and my beloved is mine.
- Song of Solomon 3:4: I have found the one whom my soul loves.
- John 15:12: My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you.
- Corinthians 16:14: Do everything in love.
- 1 Peter 4:8: Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins.
- Ehesians 5:21: Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ.
- 1 John 4:8: Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.
- Corinthians 13:13: And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
- Romans 12:9: Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil cling to what is good.
- Colossians 3:14: And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.
- Luke 6:31: Do to others as you would have them do to you.
- Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.
- Proverbs 31:10: Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies.
- Proverbs 17:17: A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.
- Ephesians 4:2: Be completely humble and gentle be patient, bearing with one another in love.
Children Given For Marriage
Genesis 29:22,23So Laban gathered together all the people of the place and made a feast. But in the evening he took his daughter Leah and brought her to Jacob, and he went in to her.
Judges 1:12And Caleb said, He who attacks Kiriath-sepher and captures it, I will give him Achsah my daughter for a wife. And Othniel the son of Kenaz, Calebs younger brother, captured it. And he gave him Achsah his daughter for a wife.
1 Samuel 17:25And the men of Israel said, Have you seen this man who has come up? Surely he has come up to defy Israel. And the king will enrich the man who kills him with great riches and will give him his daughter and make his fathers house free in Israel.
1 Samuel 18:20,21Now Sauls daughter Michal loved David. And they told Saul, and the thing pleased him. Saul thought, Let me give her to him, that she may be a snare for him and that the hand of the Philistines may be against him. Therefore Saul said to David a second time, You shall now be my son-in-law.
Also Check: Psalm 118.8
Be Mindful Of Your Words
Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight O Lord, my rock and my redeemer. Psalm 19:14
Be mindful of your words to your spouse. This is especially challenging when the conversation is tense. As you engage your spouse in conversation, ask yourself whether the Lord is pleased with the tone of your words and with the words you choose to use with each other. Pray together that your conversations would be acceptable to God.
Bible Verses About Having A Strong & Healthy Marriage
Here are some of my favorites:
Song of Songs is a book of the Bible that is 100% about marriage. Written by a young King Solomon when he married a young maiden, it’s a celebration of the love and desire between a man and a woman. If you’ve never read it, I would encourage you to take a look. It’s beautiful.
1. Kiss me and kiss me again, for your love is sweeter than wine. Song of Songs 1:2
2. My lover is mine, and I am his. He browses among the lilies. Song of Songs 2:16
There are a lot of verses in the Bible about love, both about marital love and brotherly love. I think both are appropriate to talk about here because we are called to show both kinds of love to our spouses. If we want to be friends with Jesus, we have to love others the way He loves us.
3. This is my commandment: Love each other in the same way I have loved you. There is no greater love than to lay down ones life for ones friends. You are my friends if you do what I command. John 15:12-14
4. So again I say, each man must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband. Ephesians 5:33
This next passage is probably straight from your wedding ceremony. I think it’s vital because it defines the relationship, and it also calls for a lifelong commitment. No matter how much you may disagree with one another, Jesus called us to be lifelong partners, acting as one body.
6. Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. 1 Peter 4:8
You May Like: What Does God Say About Being Lonely