Hopeful Bible Verses About Fear
“You shall not fear them, for it is the LORD your God who fights for you.”
Fear can creep up on us when we least expect it. Sure, theres fear we can kind of expect when we subject ourselves to that yearly walk through one of the most haunted places in America on Halloween or sit down with some popcorn to watch a scary movie. But where do we turn with the other, more significant fears? Things like watching a loved one go through cancer treatment, or the potential of losing a job, having a miscarriage, or getting into a car accident. Unfortunately, there isnt a limit to what our brains can concoct that is potentially fearful, some of it legitimate and some of it irrational. Either way, we can find hope and an anchor in the storm that is our fear in Jesus because he has a lot to say about fear in scripture. Fear not is a common reminder in the Word, because we are often forgetful and we can try to imagine the future before it has even happenedleading to a lot of fear and anxiety. Jesus reminds us that we can trust God as our good Father. He will fight for us. He will cover us and protect us. He will calm the storms in our minds and hearts. All he asks is that we turn our eyes from our fears to Him.
The Lord is my light and my salvation whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life of whom shall I be afraid?
Have No Fear Do Not Be Afraid
The most commonly repeated phrase in the whole Bible, in both the Old Testament and the New Testament, is Fear not! or Have no fear! or Do not be afraid! or Be not afraid!
- It is often claimed that this phrase appears exactly 365 times in the Bible, one for each day of the year! This might be an inspiring claim, but it is not biblically accurate.
- The phrase “Fear not! appears only slightly over 100 times in the Old Testament, as well as about 44 times in the New Testament .
- The exact count will depend on which Hebrew and Greek words one includes, since there are several close synonyms in each language .
- The main Greek word group expressing “fear” is the adjective phobos , the verb phobe , and the adverb aphobs .
- One can attain a higher total count if one includes biblical texts that mention people who are afraid .
- An even higher total can be attained if one also includes some positive phrases that could be considered equivalent, such as “to trust God/Jesus” or “to be at peace” or “to rest in God.”
Another closely related and very common biblical theme is that people should “fear the Lord” or have “fear of the Lord” but these ideas are not contradictory, when understood properly:
What Bible Verse Says Do Not Be Afraid
Jeremiah 1:8Be not afraid of their faces: for I am with thee to deliver thee, saith the Lord.
1 Samuel 12:20And Samuel said unto the people, Fear not: ye have done all this wickedness: yet turn not aside from following the Lord, but serve the Lord with all your heart
Genesis 50:19And Joseph said unto them, Fear not: for am I in the place of God?
1 Samuel 28:13And the king said unto her, Be not afraid: for what sawest thou? And the woman said unto Saul, I saw gods ascending out of the earth.
Isaiah 26:3Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.
Haggai 2:5According to the word that I covenanted with you when ye came out of Egypt, so my spirit remaineth among you: fear ye not.
Psalm 112:1Praise ye the Lord. Blessed is the man that feareth the Lord, that delighteth greatly in his commandments.
Hebrews 11:23By faith Moses, when he was born, was hid three months of his parents, because they saw he was a proper child and they were not afraid of the kingâs commandment.
Matthew 14:27But straightway Jesus spake unto them, saying, Be of good cheer it is I be not afraid.
Psalm 56:3What time I am afraid, I will trust in thee.
1 Samuel 22:23Abide thou with me, fear not: for he that seeketh my life seeketh thy life: but with me thou shalt be in safeguard.
Romans 13:3For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same:
You May Like: What Does The Bible Say About Killing In Self Defense
Matthew : 34 Do Not Worry About Tomorrow Bible Verse
Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.
Weve all been in situations that are outside our control. Christ is reminding us that we must calm our nerves. Only God knows what tomorrow brings. He alone can tell the future. Therefore, trust in him for the best.
Bible Verses For Anxiety
1. For surely I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans for your welfare and not for harm, to give you a future with hope. Jeremiah 29:11
4. Do not worry about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. Philippians 4:6
If I Was Teaching These Do Not Fear Bible Verses In A Sunday School Class
I would give each kid one of these cards to start and have them look up the chapter and read it, then share the context of the verse they had. How was God reassuring in the situation.
It would be a great way to realize God is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow, and His message is always the same, Do not fear, for I am with you.
Do Not Fear Bible Verses
say to those with fearful hearts, Be strong, do not fear your God will come, he will come with vengeance with divine retribution he will come to save you. Isaiah 35:4
Peace I leave with you my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. John 14:27
Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go. Joshua 1:9
Even though I walk through the darkest valley,I will fear no evil, for you are with me your rod and your staff, they comfort me. Psalm 23:4
The LORD is my light and my salvation whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27:1
Hebrews And Catholic Epistles:
- Hebrews 11:23 By faith Moses was hidden by his parents for three months after his birth, because they saw that the child was beautiful and they were not afraid of the kings edict.
- Hebrews 11:27 By faith he left Egypt, unafraid of the kings anger for he persevered as though he saw him who is invisible.
- Hebrews 13:6 So we can say with confidence, The Lord is my helper I will not be afraid. What can anyone do to me?
- 1 Peter 3:6 Thus Sarah obeyed Abraham and called him lord. You have become her daughters as long as you do what is good and never let fears alarm you.
- 1 Peter 3:14 But even if you do suffer for doing what is right, you are blessed. Do not fear what they fear, and do not be intimidated,
- 1 John 4:18 There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear for fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not reached perfection in love.
Gods Command To Fear Not
God says Do not fear hundreds of times throughout the Bible. But what does that mean? Was my 7th-grade-self sinning? Are you wrong to feel fear when youre not sure how to pay next months rent or when you get that dire health diagnosis or when your job is on the line?
No. Youre not wrong. God wired our brains to experience fear. It is a primary emotion. There is a reason and purpose for our fear as we respond to triggering stimuli. When God says, Do not fear he is not commanding us to shut off a part of our brain. His model citizen isnt an emotionless and stoic robot.
The real issue God wants us to wrestle with is where we go when we fear. Where do you go with your fears? How do you deal with them?
Simply put, God wants us to come to him. Fear can paralyze us. Yet when we fear in the presence of God, God help us take the next step of faith even in the midst of our fear! Unfortunately, no one will be able to escape fear in this sinful and broken world. It is real. It can be paralyzing. It is powerful.
But God is more powerful.
He has the power and desire to be with us in the midst of our fears. Remembering this will enable to us to take the next step of faithfulness in our lives. How? Because God is with us. We can continue to fight to believe Jesus is more in and through our fears thanks to his presence with us.
Don’t Miss: What The Bible Says About Tattoos
Bible Verses To Remind Us
2. When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.” ~ Psalm 56:3
3. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. ~ Philippians 4:6-7
4. Peace is what I leave with you it is my own peace that I give you. I do not give it as the world does. Do not be worried and upset do not be afraid. ~ John 14:27
5. For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. ~ 2 Timothy 1:7
6. There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love. ~ 1 John 4:18
7. When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought joy to my soul. ~ Psalm 94:19
8. But now, this is what the Lord saysFear not, for I have redeemed you I have summoned you by name you are mine. ~ Isaiah 43:1
9. An anxious heart weighs a man down, but a kind word cheers him up. ~ Proverbs 12:25
10. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me your rod and your staff, they comfort me. ~ Psalm 23:4
30. Jesus told him, Dont be afraid just believe. ~
Bible Verses For Fear
Ive lived a life marked by fear.
Im standing at the door of single motherhood, and Im afraid. Ive known fear for so long. Its been a close companion, Im ashamed to admit it, but its true.
Afraid of abandonment, another affair, secret emails, angry words that stab deeply into my heart, identity and security. Ive known the fear of counting pennies to feed my family. Rationing out gas for my car so we can make it to church and the grocery store that week.
The kind of fear that brings you to your knees, choking on your own tears. Sobbing in the shower so the kids cant hear you, but they still know. A fear that brings the momma bear out, fighting to protect my kids.
My life marked by fear has had grave consequences. Little by little it stole my identity, peace and happiness. I woke up one day and realized I didnt know who I was anymore.
But not anymore. I draw a line in the sand.
I choose to learn to live courageously within the protective arms of the Savior!
Ive been working on me. Call it boundaries. . Call it whatever you wish, but Im finding me now and who I am in Christ.
Also Check: Verbal Abuse Bible Verses
Favorite Bible Verses For When Your Kid Is Afraid
It doesn’t take a spooky holiday full of plastic ghouls and scary movies to remind us that fear is a real part of life. Perhaps this is why there are SO MANY Bible verses that speak about fear and offer comfort to us when we’re afraid.
The following verses are great to keep on hand when you have a child who is feeling anxious or afraid. Print, text, or email these verses and try reading and praying them together as a family.
A Prayer Against Faithless Fears
O most loving Father, you want us to give thanks for all things, to dread nothing but losing you, and to cast all our anxiety on you because you care for us. Preserve us from faithless fears and worldly anxieties and grant that no clouds of this mortal life may hide from us the light of that love which is immortal, and which you have shown us in your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen
Read Also: What Does The Word Sanctification Mean
Fear Not Bible Verses For Faith
And Jesus answered them, Have faith in God. Truly, I say to you, whoever says to this mountain, Be taken up and thrown into the sea, and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that what he says will come to pass, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours. ~
And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him. ~ Hebrews 11:6
For nothing will be impossible with God. ~ Luke 1:37
Here Are 32 Bible Verses To Help Fight Fear And Anxiety And To Remind You That God Is Always In Control
Luke 12:22-26Do not worry about your life, what you will eat or about your body, what you will wear. Life is more than food, and the body more than clothes. Consider the ravens: They do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom or barn, yet God feeds them. And how much more valuable you are than birds! Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? Since you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest? Psalm 27:1The Lord is my light and my salvationwhom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my lifeof whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 55:22Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you he will never let the righteous fall.
Deuteronomy 31:6Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you he will never leave you nor forsake you.
Isaiah 41:13-14For I am the Lord, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear I will help you. Do not be afraid, for I myself will help you, declares the Lord, your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel.
Psalm 46:1God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.
Psalm 118:6-7The Lord is with me I will not be afraid. What can man do to me? The Lord is with me he is my helper. Proverbs 29:25Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the Lord is kept safe.
Psalm 34:7The angel of the Lord encamps around those who fear him, and he delivers them.
Also Check: What Does Bible Say About Cremation Vs Burial
Jesus Instructs His Disciples:
- Matthew 10:26 So have no fear of them for nothing is covered up that will not be uncovered, and nothing secret that will not become known.
- Matthew 10:28 Do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul rather fearhim who can destroy both soul and body in hell.
- Matthew 10:31 So do not be afraid you are of more value than many sparrows.
- Luke 12:4-5 I tell you, my friends, do not fear those who kill the body, and after that can do nothing more. / But I will warn you whom to fear: fear him who, after he has killed, has authority to cast into hell. Yes, I tell you, fear him!
- Luke 12:7 But even the hairs of your head are all counted. Do not be afraid you are of more value than many sparrows.
- Luke 12:32 Do not be afraid, little flock, for it is your Fathers good pleasure to give you the kingdom.