Psalms For Healing And Recovery
You may feel awkward reading from the Bible during a visit with your sick friend. Perhaps you don’t know where the person is on their spiritual journey. And maybe you have never talked about your beliefs with others. Many people feel uncomfortable talking openly about their faith.
Dont make a big deal out of sharing these Psalms. If youre worried, keep the interaction simple. Just saying, “I thought about you the other day when I read from the book of Psalms. Can I share it with you?” is enough. The patient will either allow you to do so, or they will say “no.” If they say no dont take it personally. Everyone has their own preferences.
If they say yes here are some passages from Psalms that might bring comfort to your friend.
Bible Verses About Healing The Sick
The Bible covers many instances of God healing the sick. If there was ever any doubt about the power of God to intervene and heal diverse diseases, these Bible verses should help to set your mind at ease. Below are some Bible verses about healing the sick.
Some of the most well-known and widely-used Bible verses about healing the sick and restoring health can be found in Psalm 147:3, Jeremiah 30:17, Exodus 23:25, Jeremiah 33:6, Psalm 41:3, Matthew 10:1, Psalm 30:2, Luke 8:50, Luke 13:12, and Luke 6:19.
Both Healing And Suffering Can Serve A Higher Purpose
God may use physical suffering for a higher purpose than we understand . God sometimes heals to bring glory to Himself and encourage others to put their faith in the Savior. We see this with the death of Lazarus and Jesus raising him back to life .
Other times, healing does not come. But even with impending death, there can be a higher purpose. A dying believer can point the living toward the Father and His message of hope in Christ.
Also Check: Do Not Be Afraid Bible 365
Ultimate Healing Awaits In Heaven
For the believer, death brings ultimate healingno more death, sorrow or pain forever . To be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord .
Believers can hate sickness and diseasejust as God doeswhile longing for that day when theyll be safe in heaven from the ravages of pain and all disease.
There May Be Questions To Ask Yourself
Its important not to question people or beat them up over a perceived lack of faith. Only God knows the human heart, and He is the righteous Judge .
But regarding healing, Christians might ask themselves some questions:
– Do I have courage to ask God for healing in faith?
– Do I have the kind of pleasing faith that honors God?
– Do I believe God wont answer me?
– Am I afraid Ill make God look bad if healing doesnt come?
– Am I afraid of my image and reputationdo I think I might look unspiritual if nothing changes?
The key to greater faith is intimacy with God, rooted and grounded in Christ . Its not about personal reputation.
Don’t Miss: How Many Times Is Fear In The Bible
More Bible Verses For Healing
27. Not only that, but we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope Romans 5:3-4
28. Heal me, O LORD, and I shall be healed save me, and I shall be saved, for you are my praise. Jeremiah 17:14
29. Have mercy on me, LORD, for I am faint heal me, LORD, for my bones are in agony. Psalm 6:2
30. Worship the LORD your God, and his blessing will be on your food and water. I will take away sickness from among you Exodus 23:25
Related: Bible Verses About Faith
31. The righteous cry out, and the LORD hears them he delivers them from all their troubles. The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit. Psalm 34:17-18
32. But he said to me, My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness. Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that Christs power may rest on me. 2 Corinthians 12:9
33. When Jesus came down from the mountainside, large crowds followed him. A man with leprosy came and knelt before him and said, Lord, if you are willing, you can make me clean. Jesus reached out his hand and touched the man. I am willing, he said. Be clean! Immediately he was cleansed of his leprosy. Matthew 8:1-3
34. Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Proverbs 16:24
Want more great quotes? Check out
Great Bible Verses To Read When You Need Divine Healing
Refer to these scriptures when you are dealing with physical and emotional pain.
Here are ten great Bible verses to read when you need healing.
O Lord, if you heal me, I will be truly healed if you save me, I will be truly saved. My praises are for you alone!
My son, pay attention to what I say turn your ear to my words. Do not let them out of your sight, keep them within your heart for they are life to those who find them and health to ones whole body.
“He took up our pain and bore our suffering, yet we considered Him punished by God, stricken by Him and afflicted. But He was pierced for our transgressions, He was crushed for our iniquities the punishment that brought us peace was on Him, and by His wounds, we are healed.
He heals the brokenhearted and bandages their wounds.
For I am the Lord who heals you.
I will give you back your health and heal your wounds.
Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.
The Lord will take away from you all sickness, and will afflict you with none of the terrible diseases of Egypt which you have known, but will lay them on all those who hate you.
2 Chronicles 7:14
Read Also: How Many Verses In Psalms
Scriptures About Physical Healing
It is evidenced through both Old Testament and New Testament Scripture that God does have the power to heal our physical bodies. Miraculous healings still happen today! Use these Bible verses to talk to God about your pain and to fill your heart with hope.
A Prayer For Personal Healing – Pray to Be Healed and Recover
Bible Verses For Broken Hearts
We often think of physical healings but broken hearts need to be healed as well. Whether you are in the middle of a divorce, have lost a dear friendship, or are reconciling a broken relationship with a parent or sibling, know that God cares about your heart. He sees your tears and feels your pain. He can heal you from your hurt when you give it to him.
You number my wanderings Put my tears into Your bottle Are they not in Your book?
For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Fear not, for I have redeemed you I have called you by your name You are Mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you And through the rivers, they shall not overflow you. When you walk through the fire, you shall not be burned, Nor shall the flame scorch you.
He heals the brokenheartedAnd binds up their wounds.
Whether your need for healing is hidden or you have expressed it to everyone around you, know that God hears you, He sees your struggle and will answer you when you come to Him. I pray these Bible stories about healing have encouraged your heart and given you hope.
Read Also: Bible Verse Pray Without Ceasing
Prayers For Healing Sickness
It can be difficult to know what to say or how to pray when were in pain or feeling discouraged. Here are a few prayers you can keep with you and whisper in your heart to gain victory over illness in Jesus name.
11. Heavenly Father, thank you for your love and faithfulness towards me. Thank you for loving me despite all I have done. I claim your promises today that if I humble myself, pray and seek your face, you will hear from heaven and heal us. Father, I need a healing touch from you today. The pain is unbearable, and I am exhausted. I cannot do this by myself. I need you, Lord. Please deliver me. In Jesus name, I pray. Amen.
12. Father, in the name of Jesus, I turn my body over to you. Lord, you know the situation better than I do, even better than the doctors do. Strengthen my faith even when the doctors arent optimistic. I believe that you have the final say. I claim the healing and restoration that is promised to your children, in Jesus name, Amen.
13. Oh Lord, my God, you are worthy to be praised. You are my strength in weakness you are my rock, fortress, and deliverer. I need you now, Lord, to touch my aching body. I am having trouble going about my day because of this disease. I pray for your forgiveness and direction as I continue on. I believe that even now, you are preserving my soul. Thank you for your love and mercy that never fails, in Jesus name, Amen.
Bible Verses On Healing
That evening, I approached my husband again, and he agreed to my request.
At our next gathering my husband placed a chair in the middle of the room, sat me down, and everyone else gathered around and prayed. It was a beautiful outpouring of love.
I left convinced I was healed and envisioned how my life would change, once I was pain free and restored. The next day, however, I was devastated when my pain level and fatigue unexpectedly spiked more than ever. What had happened?
Frustrated, confused, and hurt, I wrestled with God for some time after that. I discovered He still has the power to heal, and often He still does, but not always. Sometimes healing comes instantly, other times God restores us slowly. And still other times, He says no, and in the midst of it all, were left trying to reconcile verses like those preserved in James 5 with the pain we see in our sin-cursed world.
Though I dont have all the answers, here are six things I know.
You May Like: 365 Fear Not Bible Verses
Jesus Heals Jariuss Daughter
For our next Bible story about healing, lets turn to Jesus. I have loved the story about Jesus healing Jariuss daughter since I was a kid. I think I felt some connection with the young girl.
You can read this story in both Matthew chapter 9 and Mark chapter 5. Jesus was in the middle of a large crowd. Jarius, a religious leader of the day, pushed through the crowd, fell at Jesuss feet and begged him to come heal his sick daugther.
Jesus agrees to go and the large crowd follows. The story takes a detour here because of the woman with an issue of blood who is determined to touch Jesuss clothes at the very least in order to receive healing. More on that story in Your Faith has Made You Well: Touching the Hem of His Garment.
Jesus continues with Jarius toward his home, but are met with awful news. Jariuss daughter has died. Jesus gives Jarius a very simple command. Do not be afraid, only believe.
Jesus forbids the crowd to continue following him and takes with him his three closest disciples. Can you imagine what was going on in Jariuss head? The battle between fear and faith, grief and hope. Emotions he was experiencing are beyond my words, Im sure.
Jesus sends the mourners out of the house and sits beside the 12 year old girl. Her face at peace now after her struggle with the sickness that robbed her body of life. Her parents stand watching, hearts beating fast, holding their breath, struggling to believe.
He takes the girl by the hand and tells her to arise.
When Jesus Saw Her He Called Her Forward And Said To Her Woman You Are Set Free From Your Infirmity Luke 1: 12 Niv
God is willing to heal even the most hopeless situations. Hes willing to upset the norm to do it as well. The story of Jesus healing the crippled woman in Luke 13 is evidence of these facts. For eighteen years, this woman suffered not just physical pain but from judgment and scorn.
The holy men around her were of no help to her, and they treated her poorly. Jesus, on the other hand, stepped into her life and treated her with love. He saw her condition, but he also saw her.
This is encouraging news to anyone struggling with illnesses and addictions that have formed their identity over time. People may no longer see you as you want them to. Instead, all they can see is the sickness.
There is still hope for healing in Jesus. Whether its been eighteen years, thirty years, or fifty years. Whatever your weakness, illness, or disease, Jesus can remove it from your life and bring you back to full health.
Don’t Miss: How Many Times Does The Bible Say Fear God
Bible Verses For Emotional And Spiritual Healing
1. For I am the Lord who heals you. Exodus 15:26
2. He heals the brokenhearted and bandages their wounds. Psalm 147:2
3. My wayward children, says the Lord, come back to me, and I will heal your wayward hearts. Jeremiah 3:22
4. O Lord, if you heal me, I will be truly healed if you save me, I will be truly saved. My praises are for you alone! Jeremiah 17:14
5. ow God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and power, and how he went around doing good and healing all who were under the power of the devil, because God was with him. https://media.swncdn.com/cms/IB/46474-193.jpg Acts 10:38
6. Then Jesus said, Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. Matthew 11:28-29
7. He personally carried our sins in his body on the cross so that we can be dead to sin and live for what is right. But his wounds you are healed. 1 Peter 2:24
8. But he was pierced for our rebellion, crushed for our sins. He was beaten so we could be whole. He was whipped so we could be healed. Isaiah 53:5
9. Let all that I am praise the Lord may I never forget the good things he does for me. He forgives all my sins and heals all my diseases. Psalm 103:2-3
Save this free PDF to your phone and/or share it with loved ones! – Hope for Healing: A Biblical Guide to Healing and Prayer
Christians Can Hinder Their Healing
Christians can hinder their own healing in at least five ways.
1. Christians may have unconfessed sin.
James 5:16 says, Confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. Confession is important preparation to healing.
We must take care with this, however. Some believe all sick people are guilty of secret sins. That idea discounts Scriptures like John 9:1-3 where Jesus made it clear neither a blind mans nor his parents sin caused his blindness. Critics can act like Jobs friends who didnt tell the truth about God to Joband God rebuked them .
2. Christians may neglect healing by failing to ask for it .
In John 5:6-7, Jesus looked into the heart of a lame man and asked, Do you want to get well? A strange question for a man who had been lame for 38 years! Maybe Jesus saw he was reluctant because he was addicted to the attention and charity he received. Perhaps his lameness became entwined with his identity.
Sometimes the Lord wants to heal us, but we havent bothered to ask him!
3. Christians may fail to surrender to Gods purposes.
Believers humility and readiness to receive what God has for them helps them cooperate with the truth of Romans 8:28-29. As believers pray for healing, they must believe that all things are somehow woven together into the Fathers good and holy plan to conforming them to the image of His Son.
4. Christians may hinder healing through lack of faith.
5. Christians may come to God with timid prayers.
Don’t Miss: What Does The Bible Say About Mary Magdalene
He Heals The Brokenhearted And Binds Up Their Wounds Psalm : 3 Niv
Psalm 147 is an exposé about how great and mighty God is. The psalmist goes into great detail about the many reasons God is worthy to be praised. He determines the number of stars and covers the sky with clouds. This same God who has control over the elements of the universe also heals and binds up wounds.
This is such an amazing thought. The vastness of the universe in comparison to our frailty is undeniable. Still small and feeble though we are, we still receive the same degree of attention.
This should encourage us and remind us of just how much love God has for us. God cares about even the smallest details of our lives. It is not His desire that we should live in pain and with heartache. This is why we are repeatedly invited to trust in Him and lay our burdens at His feet.