How Many Times Does The Bible Say To Be Strong And Courageous
The Bible says to be strong and courageous 13 times in various forms. In addition to be strong and courageous, variations of the phrase include be strong and of good courage and be strong and very courageous.
While the Lord gave individuals this command directly in some cases, in others courageous people exhorted those around them to be strong and courageous too.
Boldness When Times Are Hard
24. 2 Corinthians 4:8-10 We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed perplexed, but not driven to despair persecuted, but not forsaken struck down, but not destroyed always carrying in the body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be manifested in our bodies.
25. 2 Corinthians 6:4 Rather, as servants of God we commend ourselves in every way: in great endurance in troubles, hardships, and calamities.
26. Isaiah 40:31 But those who wait upon the LORD will renew their strength they will mount up with wings like eagles they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not faint.
27. Luke 18:1 Then Jesus told them a parable about their need to pray at all times and not lose heart.
28. Proverbs 24:16 For though a righteous man may fall seven times, he still gets up but the wicked stumble in bad times.
29. Psalm 37:24 Though he falls, he will not be overwhelmed, for the LORD is holding his hand.
30. Psalm 54:4 Surely God is my helper the Lord is the sustainer of my soul.
31. 2 Timothy 1:7 For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.
32. 2 Corinthians 3:12 Since we have such a hope, we are very bold.
33. Romans 14:8 If we live, we live for the Lord and if we die, we die for the Lord. So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord.
We Have Courage And Boldness Because God Is On Our Side
7. Romans 8:31 What, then, shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?
8. Hebrews 13:6 So that we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me.
9. 1 Corinthians 16:13 Remain alert. Keep standing firm in your faith. Keep on being courageous and strong.
10. Joshua 1:9 Ive commanded you, havent I? Be strong and courageous. Dont be fearful or discouraged, because the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.
11. Psalm 27:14 Wait on the Lord. Be courageous, and he will strengthen your heart. Wait on the Lord!
12. Deuteronomy 31:6 Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you he will never leave you nor forsake you.
You May Like: How Many Times Does The Bible Say Fear Not
Preaching The Word Of God And Spreading The Gospel With Boldness
20. Acts 4:31 After this prayer, the meeting place shook, and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit. Then they preached the word of God with boldness.
21. Acts 4:13 The members of the council were amazed when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, for they could see that they were ordinary men with no special training in the Scriptures. They also recognized them as men who had been with Jesus.
22. Acts 14:2-3 Some of the Jews, however, spurned Gods message and poisoned the minds of the Gentiles against Paul and Barnabas. But the apostles stayed there a long time, preaching boldly about the grace of the Lord. And the Lord proved their message was true by giving them power to do miraculous signs and wonders.
23. Philippians 1:14 And most of the brothers, confident in the Lord by my chains, now dare more greatly to speak the word without fear.
Stories Of Courage In The Bible That Will Make You Bold
Nearly every day my waking thoughts are fearful and unbelieving.
Before I walk out the door, Ive already come up with several reasons why things wont go the way I hope they will, and I start getting afraid of the challenges that lie ahead. Perhaps you can relate.
Here are some thoughts that run through my head that make me feel anxious about my day:
- Youre no good.
- No one cares about you.
- You cant do anything right.
- Youre going to mess everything up.
- Dont even try.
If you have a recording of negative thoughts in your head playing loud and on repeat, youre not likely to be taking any faithful action anytime soon. We need to turn to Gods Word for help by reading stories of courage in the Bible.
I began this courage Bible study because I needed a way to fight the ever-present anxiety that clings to me as a result of my fearful thinking. And while there are plenty of Bible lessons on fear available out there, I felt that it would help me to focus on key characters in the Bible who had to overcome fear and self-doubt.
These stories of courage in the Bible give me hope and a pathway to overcome my anxiety. The Bible tells us about many men and women who defeated their fear and anxiety by learning to depend on God. I believe their faith in God will inspire you to be courageous, too.
Recommended Reading: 365 Fear Not Bible Verses
What Does The Bible Say About Bravery
Christians cant do Gods will without braveness. Sometimes God requires believers to trust Him, separate from the normal, and take risks. Without bravery youre going to let opportunities pass you by. Youre going to trust in things rather than trusting in God.
Its OK I have my savings account I dont need God. Stop doubting God! Let go of fear because our Almighty God is in control of all situations.
If it is Gods will for you to do something then do it. If God allowed you to be in a tough situation be strong and trust in Him because He knows what He is doing.
If God tells you to wait patiently, then stand firm. If God told you to evangelize use Gods strength and boldly preach the Word of God.
God is bigger than your situation and He will never leave nor forsake you. Pray for help daily and stop relying on your own strength, but rely on Gods strength.
God is the same God who helped Moses, Joseph, Noah, David, and more. When your trust in God grows and you get to know Him more in is His Word, then your bravery will grow. God has called me and He will help me!
Top Bible Verses About Courage
Trials and tribulations are part of the Christian life. The New Testament addresses the surety of suffering if we want to be like Jesus. In fact, Paul says that we should, glory in our suffering, because we know that suffering produces perseverance perseverance, character and character, hope .
You May Like: Chronological Order Of Bible
Powerful Principles About Courage In The Bible
Right now in this world, many of us are in dire need of courage. Between the natural disasters that have been happening and the state of the economy, we need a good dose of stories of courage in the Bible.
Because of this, I decided to write a courage Bible study about the principles found in the scriptures.
Courage is not the lack of fear but the ability to face it
Lt. John B. Putnam, Jr. is credited for the saying.
Putnam, a highly decorated member of the US Air Force, is best known for his military record during World War II. He died while in service to his country when his plane crashed on July 19, 1944. He was 23 years old.
How Do You Show Courage In Your Home
Here are some examples of ways to be courageous in daily life.
You May Like: Pray Unceasingly Verse
Good Scriptures For Strength
Along with Bible stories about courage, lets read a few good scriptures for strength.
Fear not, for I have redeemed you I have called you by your name You are Mine.When you pass through the waters, I will be with you And through the rivers, they shall not overflow you.When you walk through the fire, you shall not be burned,Nor shall the flame scorch you.
Say to those who are fearful-hearted,Be strong, do not fear!Behold, your God will come with vengeance,With the recompense of God He will come and save you.
In that day it shall be said to Jerusalem:Do not fear Zion, let not your hands be weak.The Lord your God in your midst,The Mighty One, will save He will rejoice over you with gladness,He will quiet you with His love,He will rejoice over you with singing.
Whenever I am afraid,I will trust in You.In God ,In God I have put my trust I will not fear.What can flesh do to me?
Wait on the Lord And He shall strengthen your heart Wait, I say, on the Lord!
What Does The Bible Say About Learning A Skill
It refers to any type of expertise with an aptitude or technical ability. As Solomon put it, there was a race for the quick, but it was not for the speedy, and a fierce one for the wise nor to the rich neither did they love a man enough to give to. There must be a degree of proficiency in a profession in order for you to succeed in it.
You May Like: Pray Without Ceasing Means
Trusting In The Lord Will Help You With Braveness
14. Psalm 56:3-4 What time I am afraid, I will trust in thee. In God I will praise his word, in God I have put my trust I will not fear what flesh can do unto me.
15. Psalm 91:2 I will say to the Lord, You are my place of safety and protection. You are my God and I trust you.
16. Psalm 62:8 People, trust God all the time. Tell him all your problems, because God is our protection.
17. Psalm 25:3 No one who trusts in you will ever be disgraced, but disgrace comes to those who try to deceive others.
18. 2 Corinthians 4:8-11 In every way were troubled but not crushed, frustrated but not in despair, persecuted but not abandoned, struck down but not destroyed. We are always carrying around the death of Jesus in our bodies, so that the life of Jesus may be clearly shown in our bodies. While we are alive, we are constantly being handed over to death for Jesus sake, so that the life of Jesus may be clearly shown in our mortal bodies.
19. 2 Timothy 1:7 ESV for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.
20. Proverbs 28:1 KJV The wicked flee when no man pursueth: but the righteous are bold as a lion.
21. John 15:4 Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.
What Does It Mean To Be Strong And Courageous In Deuteronomy 31
After Moses addressed the people of Israel, he turned his attention specifically to Joshua:
Be strong and courageous, for you must go with this people into the land that the LORD swore to their ancestors to give them, and you must divide it among them as their inheritance. The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid do not be discouraged.
We all need mentors in the faith to encourage us. What God has made our duty, Matthew Henry explains, we have reason to expect opportunity and assistance from him for the doing of. Those who have gone before us can take the weight we bear off of our shoulders and speak peace and truth into our lives. God speaks through many, just as he did Moses to Joshua, to equip and cheer us on in our mission for the gospel.
Strong, translated from the original Hebrew, means to strengthen, prevail, harden, be strong, become strong, be courageous, be firm, grow firm, be resolute. Courageous, to be strong, alert, courageous, brave, stout, bold, solid, hard. By trusting in the Lord and obeying him, his followers would be victorious in spite of great obstacles, the NIV Study Bible explains. Hebrews 13:5 reminds us to apply the Old Testament Scriptures to our new covenant lives:
Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, Never will I leave you never will I forsake you.
Why Is Encouragement Important
We can understand what does the Bible say about encouragement and still struggle to apply it to ourselves. When we see encouragement in practice it solidifies what the bible says about encouragement. Seeing encouragement in action is a firm reminder of its importance in our lives.
As my family prepared to move to another state, our pastors wife approached us after our last church service. She looked me in the eye and said,You will be missed. Your family has been a breath of fresh air to our congregation.
After 20 years, why am I able to remember exactly what she said to me? Because her genuine words provided encouragement during a stressful time in my life.
Can you remember certain things people have said that caused you to feel strengthened and hope-filled? These tokens of inspiration remind us why encouragement is important.
The secret to being able to offer encouragement is to feel encouraged ourselves. We all need people in our lives who offer hope and inspire us brighten our day and build us up.
So encourage each other and build each other up just as you are already doing
1 Thessalonians 5:11 NLT
Encouragement sustains and lifts us up. It is like the air in a balloon. Once the air is blown into a flat piece of latex it expands and floats with a new source of energy.
Why is encouragement important? Encouraging words energize our spirit.
Kind words are like honey sweet to the soul and healthy for the body.
Proverbs 16:24 NLT
It Teaches That Courageous Strength Comes From Waiting On God
Wait on the LORD Be of good courage, And He shall strengthen your heart Wait, I say, on the LORD!
You May Like: What The Bible Says About Loneliness
What Does It Look Like To Have True Courage
- Greg LaurieSenior Pastor, Harvest Christian Fellowship
- 202031 Mar
Have you noticed that courage seems to be in short supply in this day and age?
What is courage?
Its not recklessness. Doing foolish and dangerous things for thrills does not make you a courageous person.
Courage is not pretending everything is OK when its not. Its not courageous to plaster on a phony smile in the midst of hardship and live in denial of reality.
Its also not pride or presumption. Putting your faith in yourself and your achievements, or assuming you have all the right answers, is not the same as having courage.
Christians Quotes About Boldness
Prayer in private results in boldness in public. Edwin Louis Cole
One of the special marks of the Holy Ghost in the Apostolic Church was the spirit of boldness. A. B. Simpson
There is a false boldness for Christ that only comes from pride. A man may rashly expose himself to the worlds dislike and even deliberately provoke its displeasure, and yet do so out of pride True boldness for Christ transcends all it is indifferent to the displeasure of either friends or foes. Boldness enables Christians to forsake all rather than Christ, and to prefer to offend all rather than to offend Him. Jonathan Edwards
When we find a man meditating on the words of God, my friends, that man is full of boldness and is successful. Dwight L. Moody
The most critical need of the church at this moment is men, bold men, free men. The church must seek, in prayer and much humility, the coming again of men made of the stuff of which prophets and martyrs are made. A.W. Tozer
One of the special marks of the Holy Ghost in the Apostolic Church was the spirit of boldness. A.B. Simpson
When we find a man meditating on the words of God, my friends, that man is full of boldness and is successful. D.L. Moody
A minister, without boldness, is like a smooth file, a knife without an edge, a sentinel that is afraid to let off his gun. If men will be bold in sin, ministers must be bold to reprove. William Gurnall
Read Also: What Does The Bible Say About Strong Woman
Does God Forgive Me If I Keep Sinning
If you seek forgiveness and do not intend to keep repeating the same sin, God forgives you. Even if it happens again, he forgives you. If you ask forgiveness but dont intend to stop the sin, your heart is not in the right place. He died so that the consequences of the sins we commit are paid for already.
Esther: The Courage To Take A Big Risk
Esther risked her life to persuade her husband, King Xerxes, to foil the plans of Haman to annihilate the Jews in their country. She was motivated by the faith, taught by her uncle Mordecai, that she would be fulfilling the call to save Gods people through her.
Go, gather all the Jews to be found in Susa, and hold a fast on my behalf, and do not eat or drink for three days, night or day. I and my young women will also fast as you do. Then I will go to the king, though it is against the law, and if I perish, I perish.
Esther 4:16 ESV
According to this passage, Esther prayed and fasted to put her trust in God to give her courage to plead with King Xerxes to protect her people. Her faithful sacrifice paved the way for the Jews in her country to stand up against attacks on them and fight back and protect one another. God brought about a great victory for them that day.
Also Check: Bible Verses On Verbal Abuse