What Are The Qualities Of A Godly Woman
When we have a heart solely focused on God, we embody the qualities of a godly woman. At its root, being godly is emulating and imitating God. When we imitate God in our actions, decisions, behaviors, and livelihoods, then we naturally use our lives to glorify God.
So to understand how to be a godly woman, we must understand who God is. God is:
- and so much more.
In Jesus Christ, we see an incarnation of the traits of God since He is both man and God. The way Jesus lived his life shows us what it means to be godly in the world. How to love your neighbor, love your enemy, and love your brother and sisters in Christ.
Jesus is kind and compassionate to the needy and sick. He is gracious and merciful, dying for us though He was without sin. He is loving and patient with us though we stray.
Lastly, He is faithful, keeping His word and promises, even when we sin or disobey.
The qualities of a godly woman are the same: kind, compassionate, faithful, generous, loving, gracious, merciful, patient. By emulating our creator and savior, we live godly lives that point others back to Christ.
What does Proverbs say about Women?
The qualities of a godly woman are also spelled out in scripture in more action-oriented ways in Proverbs 31, one of the most famous scriptures about godly women. This passage is full of Bible verses about a woman of good character and the qualities of a godly woman.
2. Strength and dignity are her clothing, and she laughs at the time to come.
This Post Is The Sixth In A Series On Gods Story The Foundation For Fhs Work In Relief And Development Follow The Series Starting With The First Post You Can Read The Next Post In The Series Here
In the hills of northern Burundi, Joseph and Genesita rely on subsistence agriculture to feed their family. Unfortunately, the land has not always been kind. They have seen years where their harvest did not adequately feed their family, and their children would go hungry.
But today, you would never guess that Joseph and Genesitas farm had not been productive. Genesita told us, I am definitely sure that my children will no longer suffer from hunger, and will never miss school again, being left behind while their friends are joyfully going to and coming from school.
What changed? Food for the Hungry introduced a program called Farming Gods Way to their community, and as a result, the family increased their crop yields by over 900%.
The Importance Of Character
by Spirit & Truth | Oct 28, 2013 | characterchristian livingimportanceleadershippeople
A Matter of the Heart
Numerous men and women throughout history have spoken at length about the importance of having an upright character, especially for those who serve in any type of leadership capacity. A simple search on the topic of character and leadership yields thousands of books, speeches, and quotes. Character is so important to us that we even recognize it as one of the principal requirements of trust, and trust is the essential prerequisite for all meaningful relationships.
What is Character?
A persons character is who they really are. We all think about a lot of things that are not godly, and things we would be ashamed of if they were available for all to know. Abraham Lincoln once said, Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it the tree is the real thing. My reputation is what others think of me, which may or may not be true, but my character is who I really am. Your character is the real you in the sense that you cannot separate what you do from who you are.
Galatians 5:22 and 23a
All a mans ways seem right to him, but the LORD weighs the heart.
1 Corinthians 4:5bHe will bring to light what is hidden in darkness and will expose the motives of mens hearts
Create in Me a Perfect Heart
Acts 13:22bI have found David son of Jesse a man after my own heart he will do everything I want him to do.
Read Also: Harpeth Hills Church Of Christ
God Uses Trials To Build Character
Adversity is the soil in which character grows if we let go and let God do His work! Trials and adversity can discourage and depress us, but God can do amazing things in and through us if we consider them an opportunity for growth.
God wants us to walk in holiness of character. Persevering through tough times produces holy character: suffering produces perseverance, perseverance produces character, and character produces hope .
God permits trials and testing in our lives because He wants us to grow more like Jesus through the experience. Even Jesus learned obedience from the things He suffered .
When persevering through trials, the crucial thing is not to allow the trials to influence our feelings and faith, but to trust in Gods goodness, promises, abiding presence, and infinite love. We might not understand what were going through, but we can rest in the character of God, knowing He is our Rock and our Redeemer.
Trials are the refining fire that purifies us as we persevere through them and develop the character of Christ in us.
57. Romans 5:3-4 Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance 4 perseverance, character and character, hope.
58. Hebrews 5:8 Son though he was, he learned obedience from what he suffered.
59. 2 Corinthians 4:17 For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all.
When You Are Known For Your Character
- And now, my daughter, dont be afraid. I will do for you all you ask. All the people of my town know that you are a woman of noble character. Ruth 3:11 NIV
- A wife of noble character is her husbands crown, but a disgraceful wife is like decay in his bones. Proverbs 12:4 NIV
- Now the Berean Jews were of more noble character than those in Thessalonica, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true. Acts 17:11 NIV
- They sent their disciples to him along with the Herodians. Teacher, they said, we know that you are a man of integrity and that you teach the way of God in accordance with the truth. You arent swayed by others, because you pay no attention to who they are. Matthew 22:16 NIV
You May Like: What To Wear To Church Women
Bible Verses About A Woman Of Good Character
Given everything that God says concerning women, the power of a woman in the Bible is clear. We are treasured, valuable pieces of the body of Christ. God invites us into his family through Jesus Christ. He wants to transform us, our lives, and our hearts so that we reflect Him.
As we strive to become more like Christ and live for Him, the transformation starts at the heart.
What Is The Significance Of The Name Enoch Meaning Dedicated
The name Enoch is a proper noun, translated into English from the Hebrew word Chanok. The name comes from a Hebrew verb , meaning to train as in discipline or to dedicate as in pledging oneself to a person or way of life. According to the verbs use in the Old Testament, people and even objects can be dedicated to God .
|to train up, dedicate|
You May Like: What Does The Bible Say About Abstinence Before Marriage
The Value In Developing Good Character
- Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have a peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we boast in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance perseverance, character and character, hope. Romans 5:1-4 NIV
- Do not be misled: Bad company corrupts good character. 1 Corinthians 15:33 NIV
- Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable if anything is excellent or praiseworthy think about such things. Philippians 4:8 NIV
Power Of A Womans Heart In The Bible
When we turn toward God, we thrive in His love and strength, but when we turn away, we feel lost and unworthy. Time and time again, the power of a woman in the Bible comes from the condition of her heart.
In these Bible verses about women of good character, we see a transformation of the heart through faith and fear of the Lord.
- For example, the midwives in Egypt refused to kill the male children of the Jews:
36. But the midwives feared God and did not do as the king of Egypt commanded them, but let the male children live. Exodus 1:17
- Rahab is one of two women in the Hall of Faith in Hebrews 11:
37. By faith Rahab the prostitute did not perish with those who were disobedient, because she had given a friendly welcome to the spies. Hebrews 11:31
- Ruth is welcomed into the family of God, though shes not Jewish by blood, because of her dedication to Naomi, her mother-in-law:
38. The Lord repay you for what you have done, and a full reward be given you by the Lord, the God of Israel, under whose wings you have come to take refuge! Ruth 2:12
The power of a woman of good character in the Bible is her heart, focused toward God.
Continue to grow into a godly woman with books from DaySpring, written especially for women of faith:
Also Check: What Does The Bible Say About The Fatherless
Bible Verses About Being A Woman Of God
Now that weve looked at Bible verses about a woman of good character and her heart, how should that affect our lives?
Our heart, filled with the gospel of Jesus, allows us to be women of God. These Bible verses about being a woman of God show us what that looks like in daily life.
- It means acting with love and hating what is evil:
14. Let love be genuine. Abhor what is evil hold fast to what is good. Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor. Do not be slothful in zeal, be fervent in spirit, serve the Lord. Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer. Contribute to the needs of the saints and seek to show hospitality. Romans 12:9-12
- It means believing that what God says will come to pass, just as Mary did when the angel told her she would conceive Jesus:
15. And blessed is she who believed that there would be a fulfillment of what was spoken to her from the Lord.
- It means being courteous towards others and slow to anger:
16. Know this, my beloved brothers: let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God. James 1:19-20
- It means trusting in the Lord, even when fear has crept into our hearts:
17. When I am afraid, I put my trust in you. In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust I shall not be afraid. What can flesh do to me? Psalm 56:3-4
Five Characteristics Of A Godly Man
1. Stand Strong
A godly man is expected to stand strong and hold fast to the truth of his Heavenly Father that was revealed through Jesus Christ even in the face of challenges, attacks, hatred, persecutions, criticisms, and sufferings.Now behold, I have made you today as a fortified city and as a pillar of iron and as walls of bronze against the whole land, to the kings of Judah, to its princes, to its priests, and to the people of the land. They will fight against you, but they will not overcome you, for I am with you to deliver you, declares the LORD. Jeremiah 1:18-19Be of sober spirit, be on the alert. Your adversary, the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. But resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same experiences of suffering are being accomplished by your brethren who are in the world. 1 Peter 5:8-9Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your toil is not in vain in the Lord. I Corinthians 15:58
2. Step Up
3. Speak Out
4. Stay Humble
5. Serve the King
Read Also: What Does Jesus Say About Love In The Bible
What Does God Say About Women
Every time I hear someone say the Bible paints women in a negative light or that God doesnt respect women, my heart mourns because reading the Bible has shown me the exact opposite. When reading and interpreting the Bible, its important to maintain the cultural and historical context of the text. Doing the Every Word 90-day study of the Bible has helped me keep this in mind as I read scripture, but there are many other commentaries that offer this information as well.
So considering the cultural and historical context, the laws that God establishes in the Old Testament show an incredible respect for young women, old women, mothers, daughters, sisters, and widows alike. If you compare Gods laws to the laws and statues of the other nations around the Israelites at the time, you see that God upholds a covenant that honors and protects women and punishes any injustices done to them.
Bible Verses About Character
And not only this, but we also exult in our tribulations, knowing that tribulation brings about perseverance and perseverance, proven character and proven character, hope and hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us.
An excellent wife is the crown of her husband,But she who shames him is like rottenness in his bones.
As in water face reflects face,So the heart of man reflects man.
An excellent wife, who can find?For her worth is far above jewels.
Or you will learn his waysAnd find a snare for yourself.
Until the time that his word came to pass,The word of the Lord tested him.
Epaphras, who is one of your number, a bondslave of Jesus Christ, sends you his greetings, always laboring earnestly for you in his prayers, that you may stand perfect and fully assured in all the will of God.
Read Also: What The Bible Says About Trusting God
Growing In Character Through The Proverbs
A systematic approach to applying the wisdom of Proverbs to daily life
The book of Proverbs is a 31-chapter catalog of short, pithy statements revealing Gods perspective on daily life. You’ll find maxims on everything from keeping a lid on your temper to the side effects of drinking too much. Proverbs also comments extensively on relationships, mentioning more than 180 different kinds of people.
The study that follows is a systematic approach to examining Proverbs chapter by chapter. It will prompt you to look for several different kinds of content and spur you to think more deeply about the daily contexts in which they’re applied. This study uses nine words to help you to observe the text from different points of view.
These key words serve the same purpose as a metal detector: They enable you to locate treasure thats buried just beneath the surface of the biblical soil. Lets take a look at each word and illustrate the process using Proverbs 15.
Start your devotional time with a moment of communication with the Lord. Ask Him to increase your powers of observation and to show you how the verses in the chapter relate to your life. Make the psalmists prayer your own: “Open my eyes that I may see wonderful things in your law” . When you finish praying, read the proverb that corresponds with the day of the month.
- What attitudes does the text compliment?
- What attitudes does it censure?
The Pursuit Of Christian Character
1 Simon Peter, a bond-servant and apostle of Jesus Christ, to those who have received a faith of the same kind as ours, by the righteousness of our God and Savior, Jesus Christ: 2 Grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord 3 seeing that His divine power has granted to us everything pertaining to life and godliness, through the true knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and excellence. 4 For by these He has granted to us His precious and magnificent promises, in order that by them you might become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world by lust.
5 Now for this very reason also, applying all diligence, in your faith supply moral excellence, and in your moral excellence, knowledge 6 and in your knowledge, self-control, and in your self-control, perseverance, and in your perseverance, godliness 7 and in your godliness, brotherly kindness, and in your brotherly kindness, love.
Don’t Miss: Why Is Reading The Bible Important
Holding Integrity In Your Heart
Integrity is not just what people see. Integrity is what you are.
Twice in Genesis 20, the Bible referred to the integrity of Abimelechs heart. God said about Job, He holdeth fast his integrity. Job himself said, . . . I will not remove mine integrity from me.
One of the most important truths in the whole Bible is this: Jesus said, Without me, ye can do nothing. If youve got any integrity, its not just because you have it naturally. If youve really got it, its because God gave it to you.
I also want to tell you that even though God gives integrity to you, theres also a sense in which He says, I give you the responsibility to hold on to your integrity. I gave it to you, now you hold onto it.
How can a person hold onto integrity? Only by having it and keeping it in the heart. If it is not in the heart, integrity is up for grabs. If it is not in your heart, then the mind will begin to rationalize and figure out a way to get around it. If your integrity is only in your hands, somebody will be able to buy it from you. If your integrity is only in your mind, somebody will talk you out of it. But if integrity is in your heart, then with Gods help, you can keep it no matter what.
Let me ask you a key question: What would you do if you knew that nobody would ever find out? If you knew you would never be caught, what would you do?
Which is stronger in your heart right now, greed or integrity? Would you steal if you knew no one would ever find it out?