The Story Of A Mother By Hans Christian
A mother sat there with her little child. She was so downcast, so afraid that it should die! It was so pale, the small eyes had closed themselves, and it drew its breath so softly, now and then, with a deep respiration, as if it sighed and the mother looked still more sorrowfully on the little creature.
Then a knocking was heard at the door, and in came a poor old man wrapped up as in a large horse-cloth, for it warms one, and he needed it, as it was the cold winter season! Everything out-of doors was covered with ice and snow, and the wind blew so that it cut the face.
As the old man trembled with cold, and the little child slept a moment, the mother went and poured some ale into a pot and set it on the stove, that it might be warm for him the old man sat and rocked the cradle, and the mother sat down on a chair close by him, and looked at her little sick child that drew its breath so deep, and raised its little hand.
Do you not think that I shall save him? said she. Our Lord will not take him from me!
And the old manit was Death himselfhe nodded so strangely, it could just as well signify yes as no. And the mother looked down in her lap, and the tears ran down over her cheeks her head became so heavyshe had not closed her eyes for three days and nights and now she slept, but only for a minute, when she started up and trembled with cold.
But the poor mother ran out of the house and cried aloud for her child.
Thou canst not do anything against me! said Death.
Someone Other Than A Mother By Erin S Lane
Growing up Catholic, author Erin S. Lane writes that she had two options for a life well lived: Mother or Mother Superior. Lane challenges the worldview of maternal exceptionalism in her new book Someone Other Than a Mother, shattering stigmas and reminding readers there are many meaningful paths for women.
Learning From The Mother Of Jesus
No one would be surprised by a Mothers Day sermon on Mary. She is Jesus mother, after all. Many of these sermons, though, focus on Marys response to her pregnancy and Jesus soon-to-be arrival in the nativity stories.
When we do this, we often miss the heartbreaking and all-too-human experiences of Mary as the mother of Gods son. There are many Bible verses on Marys relationship with Jesus as his mother:
- Her relationship with Jesus and trust in Gods promise encouraged her to turn to him at during a wedding mishap in Cana
- As Jesus begins challenging the status quo by doing things like healing on the Sabbath , his family plans to collect him because they fear hes lost his mind even though Mary isnt specifically named, its she who shows up with Jesuss brothers
- She watches her son get crucified and in that moment her grief mingles with her lack of understanding regarding Gods plan
Recommended Reading: What Does The Bible Say About Jealousy In Relationships
The Need Never Goes Away
Mommy, you are a fairy, I said. My mother laughed like tinkling bells. I am serious, Mother. You know everything. My child, I try to answer as best as I can. When you grow older, you will not need me, she said. No, Mom, I will always need you. Nothing can change that, I said. Her words echo in my heart as I look at the blue sky: Dear daughter, nothing remains the same except the vast blue sky. It has been ten years since I lost my fairy. Mom, you were wrong about one thing: I still need you. Submitted by Saman Rahman, Peshawar, Pakistan.
When Mothers Day Feels Like A Minefield
A week ago, as I anticipated this upcoming Mothers Day, I felt ready to fight for my flower. Each year, I look forward to the carnation and the vague, glowing tribute churches often pay to women who mother. After all, havent I earned it? After birthing and raising a daughter and five sons, after 29 years of the daily dying-to-self that defines mothers lives, I am grateful for any Mothers Day paybackeven for the greasy donut my church handed out one year.
But I am increasingly recognizing the tremendous cost of that flower . A few days ago, I posted a simple query on social media: How do you feel about Mothers Day celebrations in church? In one day, 150 women responded with passion and detailand the messages are still coming. After reading their stories, it became clear to me: Mothers Day Sunday is, for many, the single most painful day of the entire church year.
Like salt in a wound
Read Also: What Does The Bible Say About Magic
The Motherly Characteristics Of God
The Bible talks frequently about the fatherhood of God, but scripture also describes God in ways consistent with motherhood, too. Take, for example, what Jesus says as he weeps over Jerusalem:
O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to it! How often would I have gathered your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you were not willing!Matthew 23:37
Jesus uses the metaphor of a mother hen to express the relationship he longs to have with his children. This is a touching moment when the best analogy at his disposal is one of a mothers care.
Mothers Day gives you a great opportunity to talk about some of Gods more feminine characteristics. Youll find a variety of biblical passages to help you through a sermon like this:
- God cares for his people like an eagle hovering over her young
- God is concerned for his people like a midwife cares for the child shes delivered
- God will never forget his children like a mother will not forget their nursing child
- God comforts his people like a nursing mother
- God experiences the anger of a mother bear whos been robbed of her cubs
Mothers Day Title Graphics
There are plenty of presentation templates for church communicators to choose from. Customize any sermon or use these stunning visual aids to enhance your Mothers Day worship service. These beautiful title graphics also coordinate with other Mothers Day graphic themes so you can coordinate your entire service.
Read Also: Who Was Lilith In The Bible
Mother’s Day 2022 Is Coming Up On May 8 These Readers’ Stories Offer Much
There is nothing in the world quite like a mothers love. With Mothers Day coming up on Sunday, May 8, you may be in the mood for some heartwarming stories about motherhood. Weve gathered readers short storiesabout lessons learned, nostalgic remembrances, the mother-child bond, and inspiring examples of great compassion and love. Share these stories with mom, your kids, or anyone who could use a laugh, a cry, or some mothering. If youre looking for other Mothers Day ideas, you may want to watch these Mothers Day movies, listen to Mothers Day songs, or shop for a super special Mothers Day gift.
Just One More Question
I was chosen to be your mama, I tell my four-year-old daughter as my younger boys pull at my clothes. She looks at me tearfully and asks, Why couldnt I grow in your tummy like my brothers? Well, I tell her, choking back my own tears, The doctor said I couldnt grow a baby in my tummy, so your daddy and I decided to adopt a baby. That baby was you. I hold my breath and wait for a more difficult question. Can I have some ice cream? she asks. Yes! I say, thankful for her innocence. Submitted by Katina Brown, West Monroe, Louisiana. Read up on these mother-daughter quotes that will stay with you.
Read Also: Grace Baptist Church Mount Vernon
Bible Verses About Love
- 1 Corinthians 13:4-7:“Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.”
- 1 Corinthians 13:13:“And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.”
- John 15:12:“This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you.”
- 1 John 4:19:“We love because he first loved us.”
- Romans 13:8: Owe no one anything, except to love each other, for the one who loves another has fulfilled the law.”
- 1 John 4:12:“No one has ever seen God but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us.”
- Psalm 143:8:“Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I entrust my life.”
- John 15:13: “Greater love has no one than this: to lay down ones life for ones friends.”
- Galatians 5:22-23:“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control against such things there is no law.”
- Romans 12:9-10:“Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves.”
- 1 Corinthians 16:14: Do everything in love.”
Mothers Day Video: You Are Enough
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints released a new Mothers Day video on May 8, 2020.
As Mothers Day approaches, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints posted a video on social media reminding mothers and women all around the world you are enough.
We recognize women everywhere who put in mental, emotional and spiritual work to strengthen relationships, care for others and hear Gods voice. You are enough. #HearHim #MothersDay, the post said.
The 60-second video depicts mothers taking care of their children inside the home laughing and crying with them as well as mothers and women working outside the home.
Phrases of acknowledgement, validation and encouragement that first seem to be directed to the children in turn quickly apply to the women of varying ages and circumstances featured in the video.
In celebration of Mothers Day, Church News compiled inspiring, uplifting quotes from members of the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve Apostles about motherhood and womanhood. Simply put, Church leaders say thank you.
You May Like: Andrew Chapel United Methodist Church
Great Stories About Mothers From Church Leaders
President Thomas S. Monson | President Monson recalls influence of family on his life
I would occasionally drag my feet going to Sunday School. I liked to watch the birds in the trees Mother applied some psychology which at the time worked, but in retrospect, was a bit severe. She would point up to the top row of bricks on our duplex and say, Now Tommy, if you dont go to Sunday School, one of those bricks might fall off and hit you in the head. You dont want that, do you?
Not wanting that experience to occur, I would then make my way to Sunday School.
President Henry B. Eyring | Write Upon My Heart
There was a picture of the Savior on the bedroom wall where my mother was bedridden in the years before she died. She had put it there because of something her cousin Samuel O. Bennion had told her. He had traveled with an Apostle who described seeing the Savior in a vision. Elder Bennion gave her that print, saying that it was the best portrayal he had ever seen of the Masters strength of character. So she framed it and placed it on the wall where she could see it from her bed.
President Dieter F. Uchtdorf | The Infinite Power of Hope
Along the way the train stopped occasionally to get supplies. One night during one of these stops, my mother hurried out of the train to search for some food for her four children. When she returned, to her great horror, the train and her children were gone!
Elder L. Tom Perry | Mothers Teaching Children in the Home
Dear Mr. Stearns,
Mothers Of The Bible Reading Booklet
Mothers Day is arriving soon and what better way to teach our youngsters about how special mothers are than to teach them about the mothers in the Bible. For some young children it is difficult to understand that people in the Bible were real and that they were babies at one point. This series on mothers will hopefully open their eyes to some of the wonderful mothers that were written about in Gods Word. Here is the list of the mothers in this mothers of the Bible series.
Recommended Reading: What Does Sanctified Mean In The Bible
Witty And Funny Mother’s
Lionel phones his mother who is living in Gants Hill, London.
‘Mum, how are you?’ he asks.’Not too good,’ answers Lionel’s mother, ‘I’ve been very weak.’
Lionel, concerned asks, ‘Why are you so weak, mother?’She says, ‘Because I haven’t eaten in 23 days’
Lionel stammers, ‘That’s terrible. Why haven’t you eaten in 23 days?’His mother replies, ‘Because I didn’t want my mouth to be filled withfood if you should phone.’
Turning The Knife
While assembling furniture, Liz asked her friend’s six-year-oldson, Ricky, to bring her a screwdriver.’Do you want a ‘Daddy’screwdriver or a ‘Mummy’ screwdriver?’ Ricky politely inquired.
Confusedby the question, Liz responded with, ‘Bring me a ‘Mummy’ screwdriver.’Ricky returned and handed her a butter knife.
Gathering Of Hope Tote Bag
Not all moms will have a happy Mothers Day. Let those who are grieving know youre thinking of them with a Timely Tender Tote from Gathering of Hope, a Christian nonprofit supporting mothers who have experienced pregnancy and infant loss. Each tote bag contains a blanket, teas, a journal, Scripture cards and other comforting items.
Read Also: What Does Bible Say About Smoking Weed
Why I Avoided Mothers Day Like The Plague And How Ive Changed
If youve ever avoided going to church on Mothers Day, this article is for you. For Delisa Hargrove, skipping church that day seemed like the easy way out. Having recently experienced a miscarriage, she couldnt stand the idea of being consoled by everyone in the ward that day. Only when she decided to go did she realize that she was far from alone in her situation.
Ways Motherhood Has Changed Me
As a teenager she didnt want children. As a wife she dealt with infertility. Now, as a mother of two, Kristen Hewitt lists living with guilt, dealing with perfectionism, abandoning the supermom myth as just a few of the ways motherhood has changed her. Read her list and tell us: how has motherhood changed you?
Recommended Reading: Are There Dinosaurs In The Bible
Talking To My Mother About Our Bulimia Arianna Rebolini
“The conversation around eating disorders often centers on young girls. As adults still coping with bulimia, for the first time my mom and I talk about our progress, pasts, and enduring anxieties.”
“The woman who devoted herself to the creation of a national holiday to honor overworked, underappreciated mothers later devoted herself to fighting the commercial juggernaut it became. Was Anna Jarvis stubborn and crazy, as many came to believe, or misunderstood?”
The closest thing to nirvana for me is the splendour of financial independence.
Run A Mothers Day Social Media Campaign
Life is busier than ever, and Motherâs Day often âsneaks upâ on church members. To create anticipation , create a Motherâs Day social media campaign. That may include a series of social media posts for your accounts, a website banner, and a call to action that calls people to give towards a special campaign, participate in a media project, or volunteer for an event.
Hereâs what to keep in mind to create a special social media campaign.
- Keep it consistent. Choose one message, font, color palette, and call-to-action for your campaign.
- Schedule in advance. Create multiple pieces of content that you can schedule in advance across your channels.
- Run it by different church staff and leaders. Beware of overlooking typos, insensitive language, or missing content. Run your social media assets and website banner by a few different staff members to make sure youâre being clear, sensitive, and effective.
- Be authentic. Think outside of the box and be authentic. Motherhood is messy, rewarding, challenging, fun, and deeply complex. Donât rely exclusively on a canned version of motherhoodâpastel pink and cursiveâto engage your community.
Finally, use social media to engage with your community on the topic of motherhood. Ask questions, respond to comments, and post videos. Motherâs Day is an opportunity for deeper discussion. Donât miss your chance to engage your church members!
Recommended Reading: What Does The Bible Say About Praying To Mary
Why We Should Celebrate All Women On Mothers Day
Although many face the challenge of not being able to have their own children, Lisa Jo Baker writes, Motherhood is its own mission field, and no one is disqualified from serving. This article not only seeks to comfort and encourage it calls to action women who are struggling, women who are sad, but most of all, women who are cant not mother those around them.
A Mother Of A Small Boy Says
- A king size waterbed holds enough water to fill a 2000 sq. ft. house, 4 inches deep.
- A 3-year old boys voice is louder than 200 adults in a crowded restaurant.
- When you hear the toilet flush and the words uh oh , its already too late.
- Brake fluid mixed with Clorox makes smoke, and lots of it.
- A six-year old boy can start a fire with a flint rock even though a 36-year old Man says they can only do it in the movies.
- Certain Legos will pass through the digestive tract of a 4-year old Boy.
- Play dough and microwave should not be used in the same sentence.
- Super glue is forever.
- No matter how much Jell-O you put in a swimming pool you still cant walk on water.
- Pool filters do not like Jell-O.
- Garbage bags do not make good parachutes.
- You probably DO NOT want to know what that odor is.
- The fire department in Austin, Texas has a 5-minute response time.
- The spin cycle on the washing machine does not make earthworms dizzy.
- It will, however, make cats dizzy.
- Cats throw up twice their body weight when dizzy.
- 80% of men who read this will try mixing the Clorox and brake fluid.
- Women will pass this on to almost all of their friends, with or without permission.
Son: Mom can I get twenty bucks
Mom: Does it look like I am made of money
Son: Well isnt that what M.O.M stands for?
Q: What do you call a mom who cant draw? A: Tracy.
Q.What book do moms like the most? A: Their husbands checkbook!
Q: What did mommy spider say to baby spider? A: You spend too much time on the web.
Read Also: Bible Verses On New Beginnings