Great Verses About The Word Of God
Why Memorize Bible Verses
Many of us have asked several clarifying questions about this grace-filled discipline, like:
- Whats the point of memorization?
- Why should I take the time and effort to memorize the Bible? Couldnt I use that time to read it more deeply, or to pray?
- If I can simply open my Bible and read Gods Word, then why should I memorize it?
- If Im bad at memorizing in general, should I still consider this an important pursuit?
Ive asked all of the above and have been deeply convicted by what God himself has to say about the vitality of his Word being sown within the believers mind and heart. Here are just three important reasons he gives us to memorize his Word:
The Best Bible Verses To Memorize From Wayne Grudem
Memorizing scripture is the way Christians let the word of Christ dwell in them richly, fight against temptation, renew their minds, and understand the will of God.
Looking for a good list of the most important Bible verses to memorize?
InSystematic Theology: An Introduction to Biblical Doctrine, theologian Wayne Grudem concludes each chapter with a bible passage to commit to memory.
Taken together, these 53 key Bible verses to memorize make up a balanced list of Scriptures that will deepen your faith, encourage your soul, and strengthen your grasp of the Bible.
You May Like: Fear Not Bible Verses
Bible Verses For Kids To Memorize
These verses are just a few of many great verses. Let them be an appetizer for your family. Later, dig deeper into the Word of God and go for the three-course meal of your choosing. This is only the beginning of storing Gods word in your heart.
For a printable version, click the image above. Or, for a black and white version, .
Great Verses About The Character Of God/christ/spirit
Organize a Sunday School curriculum committee with a sign up. SAMPLE
Also Check: Scripture For Feeling Lonely
Verses On Living As A Christian
As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. -Joshua 24:15b
“I have the right to do anything,” you say – but not everything is beneficial. “I have the right to do anything,” but not everything is constructive. -1 Corinthians 10:23
Jesus replied: “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: Love your neighbor as yourself.” -Matthew 22:37-39
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking. It is not easily angered, it keeps no records of wrong. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. -1 Corinthians 13:4-7
The King will reply, “I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.” -Matthew 25:40
Do everything in love. -1 Corinthians 16:14
In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven. -Matthew 5:16
He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God. -Micah 6:8
Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men. -Colossians 3:23
Do to others as you would have them do to you. -Luke 6:31
Highlight Old Testament Quotes In Green
Did you realize that the New Testament is full of quotes from the Old Testament? Authors like Paul were extremely well-versed in the Old Testament and would use these verses to emphasize the Gospel of Christ. Its worth highlighting these as additional points of reference.
Memorization is very visual! If you spend time memorizing a passage of scripture, youll literally close your eyes and envision the page in your mind. So highlighting can really help you to memorize more effectively!
Recommended Reading: What Does Inerrant Mean
What Bible Verses Are Good To Memorize For Evangelism
- The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky above proclaims his handiwork. Psalms 19:1
- You shall be holy, for I the Lord your God am holy. Leviticus 19:2
- Worthy are you, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they existed and were created. Revelation 4:11
- And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength. Mark 12:30
- For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16
- Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life whoever does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God remains on him. John 3:36
- In this is love, not that we have loved God but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins. 1 John 4:10
- but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
- But he was wounded for our transgressions he was crushed for our iniquities upon him was the chastisement that brought us peace, and with his stripes we are healed. Isaiah 53:5
- For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God. 2 Corinthians 5:21
Loving Your Neighbor In Proverbs
- Let not steadfast love and faithfulness forsake you bind them around your neck write them on the tablet of your heart. Proverbs 3:3
- Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to do it. Proverbs 3:27
- Hatred stirs up strife, but love covers all offenses. Proverbs 10:12
- Whoever despises his neighbor is a sinner, but blessed is he who is generous to the poor. Proverbs 14:21
- Whoever oppresses a poor man insults his Maker, but he who is generous to the needy honors him. Proverbs 14:31
- Whoever belittles his neighbor lacks sense, but a man of understanding remains silent. Whoever goes about slandering reveals secrets, but he who is trustworthy in spirit keeps a thing covered. Proverbs 11:12-13
- Do not rejoice when your enemy falls, and let not your heart be glad when he stumbles, lest the LORD see it and be displeased, and turn away his anger from him. Proverbs 24:17-18
As Believers, we are Christs love letter to the world. Do you make others want to read?
Don’t Miss: Chronilogical Order Of Bible
Top 5 Short Bible Verses
1. “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.” – Hebrews 13:8
2. “Seek the LORD and his strength seek his presence continually!” – 1 Chronicles 16:11
3. “Rejoice always” – 1 Thessalonians 5:16
4. “When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.” – Psalm 56:3
5. “Trust in the LORD, and do good dwell in the land and befriend faithfulness” – Psalm 37:3
Browse more of the best short Bible verses in this collection of quick scripture quotes: You can also Print a copy and use the beautiful images to help you memorize these Scriptures.
Bible Verses On Holy Fear Of The Lord
- The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge fools despise wisdom and instruction. Proverbs 1:7
- Because they hated knowledge and did not choose the fear of the LORD, would have none of my counsel and despised all my reproof, therefore they shall eat the fruit of their way, and have their fill of their own devices. Proverbs 1:29-21
- The fear of the LORD prolongs life, but the years of the wicked will be short. The hope of the righteous brings joy, but the expectation of the wicked will perish. The way of the LORD is a stronghold to the blameless, but destruction to evildoers. Proverbs 10:27-29
- In the fear of the LORD one has strong confidence, and his children will have a refuge. The fear of the LORD is a fountain of life, that one may turn away from the snares of death. Proverbs 14:26-27
- The fear of the LORD is instruction in wisdom, and humility comes before honor. Proverbs 15:33
- The fear of the LORD leads to life, and whoever has it rests satisfied he will not be visited by harm. Proverbs 19:23
- Blessed is the one who fears the LORD always, but whoever hardens his heart will fall into calamity. Proverbs 28:14
- The fear of man lays a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is safe. Proverbs 29:25
Also Check: Maryland Bible College & Seminary Baltimore Md
What Are The Top 10 Short Bible Verses
Proverbs 30:5 Every word of God proves true.
Matthew 6:24 No one can serve two masters.
Deuteronomy 6:5 You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might.
Matthew 22:39 You shall love your neighbor as yourself.
1 Corinthians 10:31 Whatever you do, do everything for the glory of God.
Psalm 19:1 The heavens declare the glory of God.
Genesis 1:1 In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth.
Psalm 139:14 I praise you God, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
Isaiah 43:5 Do not be afraid for I am with you.
Psalm 1:6 The LORD knows the way of the righteous, but the way of the wicked will perish.
Short Bible Verses: 52 Scriptures to Memorize for a Quick Biblical Boost
How Do You Memorize Memory Verses
My Memorization Process
Don’t Miss: Read The Bible In Chronological Order
Adventures In Odyssey Club
- Create gifts, artwork, or videos with Bible verses.
- Find apps for scripture memory help or creating verse images.
- Ask questions of each other. What does that verse mean? And is there any place where we can see that in the world?
- Look up memorization tips and hacks to learn more extensive passages of Scripture.
As children move into their tween and teen years, help them understand the verses they have learned. What does it mean, and why is it helpful? For example, ask about forgiveness . Why does God forgive us? And why does God ask us to forgive others? In Matthew 6:14-15, why is an offense called a trespass? And what does popular psychologyhave to say about the importance of forgiveness? What can that tell us? And please know, no parent has all the answers. You can look up the answers together, ask a pastor, do an Internet search, or find great books to assist. Looking for a solution is a helpful life skill to teach your tween and teen.
Also, another way to engage a teenager is by creating with Scripture. As they are working on a verse, what can they create? I know one teen who makes necklaces for all her friends with a verse she chooses. Or teens can put together a video that the whole family watches and then post it on their favorite social media. What about creating artwork? Drawing, painting, or coloring a verse may resonate with your artistic tween or teen.
Memory Verses: 10 Bible Verses Every Christian Should Know By Heart
26 July, 2013
If you’re new here, you may want to follow me on , too. Thanks for visiting!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.
Memory Verses: Looking for a great place to start memorizing Scripture? Or maybe you just want a few great verses to start digging deeper into Gods Word. These few bible verses are a great place to get you started in your Bible study. Here are 10 bible verses every Christian should know by heart.
The Bible is full of wonderful verses. And every single word is significant and God-breathed across the pages. As a Christian, I cant live without them. They encourage and teach. They inspire and lead. They ground me to keep me moving forward and remind me that God is who He says He is and that He keeps His promises.
I cant imagine anything in life without Gods Word. And, when asked about favorite scriptures or a life verse, its difficult to choose one above all the others. However, there are a few significant verses that Ive found to keep me focused on the main thing, which is Gods reality. So Ive chosen to point out just a few of these verses to remind us of the truth of who God is, what Jesus came to accomplish, and how His truth continues to transform our lives today.
Don’t Miss: Bible Verse Pray Without Ceasing
Final Thoughts And Memory Tip
No doubt, the more time you spend with your Bible the easier it becomes to memorize Bible verses and passages. Several years ago I was taught a technique for memorizing Scripture that I want to share with you here. Actually, it is a journalizing technique that you might want to try. In your journal take your memory verse or passage and write it. Whenever you come to a punctuation mark skip to the next line. For example, if my memory passage is Ephesians 2:8-9, I would journalize it like this:
For by grace are ye saved through faith
and that not of yourselves
it is the gift of God:
Not of works,
Lest any man should boast.
Now, when you begin memorizing the passage start with the first line only. Once you have committed that to memory then add the next line. Recite the first and second lines and when you have committed that to memory add line three and then continue until you have memorized the entire passage.
I pray that today you may take even just one of these KJV Bible memory verses and commit it to memory so that when you need it you may recall it to your mind.
More tips for memorizing Bible verses:10 Tips for Memorizing Bible Verses
Resource Scripture quotations are from The Holy Bible, King James Version
Bible Verses For Kids To Memorize In Fun Ways
Memorizing Bible verses is so important for kids and adults. The Bible is the inspired and infallible Word of God. It speaks with authority concerning truth, morality, and godly living and is the definitive source of all that we believe. That means the Bible is not just a book. It is divinely inspired, and studying the Bible as a family will change our lives.
Yet, how exactly does one do that? What do we do so that the Bible changes us and changes our children? In the late Dr. Gary Smalleys book, Change Your Heart, Change Your Life, Dr. Smalley encourages parents to help their families hide Gods Word in their heart, as mentioned in Psalm 119:11 . And like the title of his book suggests, if you change your heart by putting Gods Word in it, you can change your life. Another way to look at it is, how do we store up Gods Word, as the ESV version puts it? A good way to do this is by having kids and parents memorize Bible verses.
I admit Ive struggled with Bible memory. Its one thing I say I want to do but often put on the back-burner. So, Ive looked for tips and tricks to help memorize and meditate on Scripture for both my children and me. First, Ill share some tips on how to memorize Bible verses. Then we will look at some solid Bible verses for kids to memorize that will start your families faith journey.
Read Also: What The Bible Says About Isolation