Who Are The Elect In The Bible
In many Christian circles, people describe believers as Gods elect. However, some people use the phrase Gods elect with the idea that God chooses some people to go to Heaven and some people to go to Hell for no reason other than He can do so because He is sovereign. The purpose of this article is not to debate that theology, which originated with Augustine and was made popular by John Calvin and A.W. Pink. Instead, we will look at who are the elect in the Bible.
Summary And Analysis Of 1 John : 7
The entire passage found in 1 John 4:7-21 speaks of God’s loving nature. Love is not merely an attribute of God, it is part of his very makeup. God is not merely loving at his core, he is love. God alone loves in the completeness and perfection of love.
Love comes from God. He is its source. And since God is love then we, his followers, who are born of God, will also love. God loves us, so we must love one another. A true Christian, one saved by love and filled with God’s love, must live in love toward God and others.
In this section of Scripture, we learn that brotherly love is our response to God’s love. The Lord teaches believers how to show his love to others, to our friends, family, and even our enemies. God’s love is unconditional his love is very different from human love that we experience with one another because it is not based on feelings. He doesn’t love us because we please him. He loves us simply because he is love.
Love is the true test of Christianity. The character of God is rooted in love. We receive God’s love in our relationship with him. We experience God’s love in our relationships with others.
God’s love is a gift. God’s love is a life-giving, energizing force. This love was demonstrated in Jesus Christ: “As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Abide in my love” . When we receive God’s love, we are enabled through that love to love others.
Only God Can Be Worshiped Jesus Was Worshiped
19. Matthew 2:1-2 After Jesus was born in Bethlehem in Judea, during the time of King Herod, Magi from the east came to Jerusalem and asked, Where is the one who has been born king of the Jews? We saw his star when it rose and have come to worship him.
20. Matthew 28:8-9 So the women hurried away from the tomb, afraid yet filled with joy, and ran to tell his disciples. Suddenly Jesus met them. Greetings, he said. They came to him, clasped his feet and worshiped him.
Also Check: Emotional Abuse Bible
Bible Verses About Who Is Like God
Who is like the Lord our God,Who is enthroned on high,
Who is like Me? Let him proclaim and declare it Yes, let him recount it to Me in order,From the time that I established the ancient nation.And let them declare to them the things that are comingAnd the events that are going to take place.
Behold, one will come up like a lion from the thickets of the Jordan against a perennially watered pasture for in an instant I will make him run away from it, and whoever is chosen I shall appoint over it. For who is like Me, and who will summon Me into court? And who then is the shepherd who can stand against Me?
For I Know The Plans I Have For You
This is what the Lord says: “When seventy years are completed for Babylon, I will come to you and fulfill my good promise to bring you back to this place. For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you,” declares the Lord, “and will bring you back from captivity. I will gather you from all the nations and places where I have banished you,” declares the Lord, “and will bring you back to the place from which I carried you into exile.”
When it comes to God’s will, people often quote a portion of this promise: “‘For I know the plans I have for you,’ declares the Lord, ‘plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'”
It’s critical to see this within the context of the prophet’s statement. This promise was made to the entire nation of Israel who was in captivity, and it wouldn’t be fulfilled until seventy years after Jeremiah had spoken. That means that an entire generation of Israelites would die in Babylon before this promise came to pass.
Also Check: What Does The Bible Say About Domestic Abuse
Keep Your Focus On God
You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast, because they trust in You. Trust in the LORD forever, for the LORD, the LORD Himself, is the Rock eternal.
To be steadfast is to be firm and unwavering. If you keep your mind steadfastly on the Lord, you can have peace in knowing He is in control. He is a steady rock. He does not change or falter. You can have peace in knowing you are cared for by a trustworthy God.
Great Verses About Jesus Christ And The Holy Spirit
Coordinate Sunday School volunteer rotation with a sign up. SAMPLE
Recommended Reading: The Order Of The Bible
Jesus Is The Word Verses
8. John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
9. John 1:14And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth.
Jesus Christ is the only way into Heaven.
10. 1 John 5:20 And we know that the Son of God has come and has given us understanding, so that we may know him who is true and we are in him who is true, in his Son Jesus Christ. He is the true God and eternal life.
11. Romans 10:13 For everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.
I am He
12. John 8:57-58 The people said, You arent even fifty years old. How can you say you have seen Abraham? Jesus answered, I tell you the truth, before Abraham was even born, I Am!
13. John 8:22-24 This made the Jews ask, Will he kill himself? Is that why he says, Where I go, you cannot come? But he continued, You are from below I am from above. You are of this world I am not of this world. 24 I told you that you would die in your sins if you do not believe that I am he, you will indeed die in your sins.
14. John 13:18-19 I am not referring to all of you I know those I have chosen. But this is to fulfill this passage of Scripture: He who shared my bread has turned against me. I am telling you now before it happens, so that when it does happen you will believe that I am who I am.
Development Of The Christian Canons
The Old Testament canon entered into Christian use in the Greek Septuagint translations and original books, and their differing lists of texts. In addition to the Septuagint, Christianity subsequently added various writings that would become the New Testament. Somewhat different lists of accepted works continued to develop in antiquity. In the 4th century a series of synods produced a list of texts equal to the 39, 46, 51, or 54-book canon of the Old Testament and to the 27-book canon of the New Testament that would be subsequently used to today, most notably the Synod of Hippo in 393 CE. Also c. 400, Jerome produced a definitive Latin edition of the Bible , the canon of which, at the insistence of the Pope, was in accord with the earlier Synods. With the benefit of hindsight, it can be said that this process effectively set the New Testament canon, although there are examples of other canonical lists in use after this time.
The New Testament writers assumed the inspiration of the Old Testament, probably earliest stated in 2 Timothy 3:16, “All scripture is given by inspiration of God”.
Ethiopian Orthodox canon
Don’t Miss: Apocalypse In The Bible Verse
Compare ‘god Is Love’
Compare these two famous Bible verses in several popular translations:
1 John 4:8
He that loveth not knoweth not God for God is love.
1 John 4:16God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in him.
God is love, and whoever abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him.
God is love, and all who live in love live in God, and God lives in them.
God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God in him.
God is love, and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.
God The Creator Has A Name
The Bible teaches that God created all things. He is not an abstract force but a real Person with a name.
Lets start by getting your view. When you introduce yourself to someone new, whats the first piece of personal information that you share?
Most people would agree. Often, the first piece of information we share with someone is our name. This is the first step in building a relationship. But does God have a name?
This response is common in the business world, where a persons job may be more important than his or her identity. In social settings, though, most people introduce themselves using their name, since this can help make a relationship friendlier. Does God have a name? If so, could knowing it help you become Gods friend? Lets find out.
Thats certainly understandable. However, if your relationship with a person is ever to grow, you need to share your name at some point. Likewise, wouldnt God need to share his name with us in order for us to get to know him? Lets see what the Bible says.
This video clip shows that Gods name appeared in ancient Bible manuscripts.
Lets examine what the Bible says about Gods name. Click the highlighted word for more information.
May people know that you, whose name is Jehovah, you alone are the Most High over all the earth.
Which of the following is Gods name?
This title indicates that God has supreme authority.Psalm 109:21.
Also Check: The Bible Is Infallible
God Will Not Let You Down Because His Love Cannot Fail
Your unfailing love, O LORD, is as vast as the heavens your faithfulness reaches beyond the clouds. Your righteousness is like the mighty mountains, Your justice like the ocean depths. You care for people and animals alike, O LORD. How precious is Your unfailing love, O God! All humanity finds shelter in the shadow of Your wings.
You have probably been hurt or betrayed by someone you love at some point in your life. Maybe you have experienced this more than once. Loving and trusting other people is risky. Once one person hurts you, it becomes harder to open up to others.
In contrast, Gods love is truly unconditional. He never fails you or betrays you. You do not need to hold back in your relationship with God, because He is totally trustworthy.
When you feel let down by people, read these verses and remember this: Though people may let you down, God never will.
First And Last: Theres Only One God
15. Isaiah 44:6 Thus says the LORD, the King of Israel and his Redeemer, the LORD of hosts: I am the first and I am the last besides me there is no god.
16. 1 Corinthians 8:6 Yet for us there is one God, the Father, from whom are all things and for whom we exist, and one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom are all things and through whom we exist.
17. Revelation 2:8 And to the angel of the church in Smyrna write: The words of the first and the last, who died and came to life.
18. Revelation 1:17-18 When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. But he laid his right hand on me, saying, Fear not, I am the first and the last, and the living one. I died, and behold I am alive forevermore, and I have the keys of Death and Hades.
Don’t Miss: What God Says About Loneliness
Jesus Is The Good Shepherd
I am the good shepherd. I know My own and My own know Me.
A shepherd guides and looks after the sheep in his care. Jesus, the Son of God, is the Good Shepherd, and His followers are His sheep. There is only one God of the Universe who made you, knows what you need and calls you His own.
Jesus is a good shepherd. Hes 100 percent trustworthy. He always knows whats best for you, even if its not easy. To follow Him, you need to know Him and listen for Him. As you get to know Him through prayer, reading the Bible and being in community with other followers of Jesus, you will be able to distinguish His good voice from other voices.
Other Bible Verses Show God Is Love
Here are some more Bible verses about Gods love. We hope they will bring you much joy and peace as you read through them and understand how much God loves you.
Zephaniah 3:17 God delights in us!The LORD your God is with you, the Mighty Warrior who saves. He will take great delight in you in his love he will no longer rebuke you, but will rejoice over you with singing.
Philippians 4:6 We neednt be anxious about anything because God hears usDo not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.
Isaiah 54:10 Gods love is unfailing and unshakable”Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken nor my covenant of peace be removed, says the LORD, who has compassion on you.
1 John 3:1 God loves us so much we are His childrenSee what great love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are! The reason the world does not know us is that it did not know him.
Galatians 2:20 God loves us so much Christ died for us!I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.
If you have been encouraged by these Bible verses, you can also visit the following blog posts!
Don’t Miss: How Many Verses Are In The Book Of Psalms
Gods Thoughts Toward Us What The Bible Says
Gods own Word, the Bible, shows what an immense care God has for His whole creation, and especially for each one of us people individually. He cares for us, has a plan for us, will not forsake us, and wants us to spend eternity with Him! Here is a selection of verses about Gods thoughts toward us.
Bible Verses Every Kid Should Know
Reading the Bible together can not only be a sweet, memorable time for your family it can also be an integral practice of discipleship for both your children and you as you discuss and memorize Gods word and promises. The following is a list of 30 Bible verses every kid should know as a guide that can be helpful as you begin memorizing scripture with your children.
1. James 1:27 Religion that is pure and undefiled before God the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world.
2. Psalm 145:9 The LORD is good to all, and his mercy is over all that he has made.
3. Joshua 1:9 Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.
4. Philippians 4:4 Rejoice in the Lord always again I will say, rejoice!
5. Matthew 22:39 And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself.
6. Numbers 6:24 The LORD bless you and keep you.
7. Colossians 3:2 Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth.
8. Colossians 3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God.
9. 1 John 5:3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments. And his commandments are not burdensome.
You May Like: What Order To Read The Bible