Bible Verses About Palm Sunday And Holy Week
Zechariah 9:9 – Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion! Shout aloud, O daughter of Jerusalem! Behold, your king is coming to you righteous and having salvation is he, humble and mounted on a donkey, on a colt, the foal of a donkey.
John 12:12-15 – The next day the large crowd that had come to the feast heard that Jesus was coming to Jerusalem. So they took branches of palm trees and went out to meet him, crying out, “Hosanna! Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord, even the King of Israel!” And Jesus found a young donkey and sat on it, just as it is written, “Fear not, daughter of Zion behold, your king is coming, sitting on a donkey’s colt!”
Matthew 21:5 – Say to the daughter of Zion, Behold, your king is coming to you, humble, and mounted on a donkey, and on a colt, the foal of a beast of burden.
Matthew 21:8-11 – Most of the crowd spread their cloaks on the road, and others cut branches from the trees and spread them on the road. And the crowds that went before him and that followed him were shouting, Hosanna to the Son of David! Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord! Hosanna in the highest! And when he entered Jerusalem, the whole city was stirred up, saying, Who is this? And the crowds said, This is the prophet Jesus, from Nazareth of Galilee.
Foundation Of Christian Faith
In Christian theology, the death, resurrection, and exaltation of Jesus are the most important events, and the foundation of the Christian faith. The Nicene Creed states: “On the third day he rose again in accordance with the Scriptures”. According to Terry Miethe, a Christian philosopher at Oxford University, the question “‘Did Jesus rise from the dead?’ is the most important question regarding the claims of the Christian faith.” According to John R. Rice, a Baptist evangelist, the resurrection of Jesus was part of the plan of salvation and redemption by atonement for man’s sin. Summarizing its traditional analysis, the Catholic Church states in its Catechism:
Although the Resurrection was an historical event that could be verified by the sign of the empty tomb and by the reality of the apostles’ encounters with the risen Christ, still it remains at the very heart of the mystery of faith as something that transcends and surpasses history.
Why Is The Resurrection Important To The Christian Faith
The resurrection proves God keeps His promises and gives us a way out of our sin. As sin keeps us separate from God, this means He provided a way for us to spend eternity with Him without forcing us to choose Him. Jesuss death and resurrection provide the justification we need to stand before God and be found righteous despite our human nature.
16. 1 Corinthians 15:14 And if Christ has not been raised, our preaching is worthless, and so is your faith.
17. John 20:8-10 So the other disciple who had first come to the tomb also entered then, and he saw and believed. 9 For they did not yet understand the Scripture, that He must rise from the dead. 10 So the disciples went away again to their own homes.
18. 1 Corinthians 15:20-22 But Christ has indeed been raised from the dead, the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep. 21 For since death came through a man, the resurrection of the dead comes also through a man. 22 For as in Adam all die, so in Christ all will be made alive.
19. Acts 17:30-31 In the past God overlooked such ignorance, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent. 31 For he has set a day when he will judge the world with justice by the man he has appointed. He has given proof of this to everyone by raising him from the dead.
22. Psalm 16:10 For You will not abandon my soul to Sheol You will not allow Your Holy One to undergo decay.
24. Romans 4:25 Who was delivered up for our trespasses and raised for our justification.
Read Also: Definition Of Virtue In The Bible
Easter Bible Verses On The Resurrection
1. The Christ will suffer and rise from the dead on the third day, and repentance and forgiveness of sins will be preached in his name.
2. He was delivered up for our trespasses and raised for our justification.
3. Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day.
4. According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.
5. For as by a man came death, by a man has come the resurrection of the dead. For as in Adam all die, so in Christ shall all be made alive.
6. For if we have been united with him in a death like his, we shall certainly be united with him in a resurrection like his.
7. We know that Christ, being raised from the dead, will never die again death no longer has dominion over him.
8. that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death
9. I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live, and everyone who lives and believes in me shall never die. Do you believe this?
10. just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life.
11. If the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, he who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit who dwells in you.
Christian Quotes About The Resurrection
Easter says you can put truth in a grave, but it wont stay there. You can nail it to a cross, wrap it in winding sheets and shut it up in a tomb, but it will rise! John Stott
The Resurrection gives my life meaning and direction and the opportunity to start over no matter what my circumstances. Robert Flatt.
The best news of the Christian gospel is that the supremely glorious Creator of the universe has acted in Jesus Christs death and resurrection to remove every obstacle between us and himself so that we may find everlasting joy in seeing and savoring his infinite beauty. John Piper
The stone was rolled away from the door, not to permit Christ to come out, but to enable the disciples to go in. Peter Marshall
The Crucifixion, Atonement, and Resurrection of Jesus Christ mark the beginning of a Christian Life, not the end of it. Jeffrey R. Holland
The greatest negative in the universe is the Cross, for with it God wiped out everything that was not of Himself: the greatest positive in the universe is the resurrection, for through it God brought into being all. Watchman Nee
The resurrection of Christ is one of the foundation stones of Christianity. It was the seal of the great work that He came on earth to do. It was the crowning proof that the ransom He paid for sinners was accepted, the atonement for sin accomplished, the head of him who had the power of death bruised, and the victory won. J. C. Ryle
Don’t Miss: What Does The Bible Say About Debt Repayment
Bible Verses On Jesus’ Death And Resurrection
Easter Sunday is the first day after the Season of Lent. Its the day Christians gather to celebrate Jesus resurrection.
Celebrate the true meaning of Easter with these Bible verses on the death and resurrection of Jesus. The ancient church prepared for 40 days to celebrate Christs resurrectionand its important that we take time to meditate on the true meaning of Easter too.
Use these Bible verses on the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ to reflect on Gods love for youthat he would send his Son to die for our sins and raise Christ from the dead, so that if we believed, we will be saved! Share this collection of Bible verses on the resurrection with your Bible study or friends and family to celebrate the true meaning of Easter together.
What Did Jesus Mean When He Said I Am The Resurrection And The Life
Jesus said, I am the Resurrection and the Life because he is both. Without Christ, there is no resurrection, and without Christ, there is no eternal life. In addition, Jesus was making a statement about His divine nature. Jesus demonstrates that neither death nor time can stop Him.
Death has no final power over Him because He does more than give life He is life. This spiritual life is given to individuals who believe in Jesus so that they can share in His victory over death . Believers in Jesus Christ will experience resurrection because death will not defeat them since they have the life Jesus provides .
65. John 11:25 Jesus said to her, I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die.
66. John 14:6 Jesus answered, I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
67. 1 John 5:11-12 And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. 12 Whoever has the Son has life whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life.
68. Revelation 22:13 I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end.
69. John 10:9 I am the door. If anyone enters by me, he will be saved and will go in and out and find pasture.
Recommended Reading: What Does The Bible Say About Self Love
Prayer To Give Thanks For Christ’s Resurrection On Easter Morning
Thank you that you make all things new. Thank you for the victory and power in your Name. Thank you that you hold the keys over death, that by your might, Jesus was raised from the grave, paving the way for us to have new life with you. Thank you that you had plan, that you made a way.
We praise you for your great strength, we praise you for your lavish love. We praise you that you are Conqueror, Victor, Redeemer, and Friend. We praise you that you are Deliverer, Worthy One, Everlasting Father, Great and Awesome God.
We confess our need for youfreshnewagain. We ask that you renew our hearts, minds, and lives, for the days ahead. We pray for your refreshing over us.
Keep your words of truth planted firm within us, help us to keep focused on what is pure and right, give us the power to be obedient to your word. And when the enemy reminds us where we have been, hissing his lies and attacks our way, we trust that your voice speaks louder and stronger, reminding us we are safe with you and that your purposes and plans will not fail. We ask that you will be our defense and rear guard, keeping our way clear, removing the obstacles, and covering the pitfalls. Lord, lead us on your level ground.
Shine your light in us, through us, over us. May we make a difference in this world, for your glory and purposes. Set you way before us. May all your plans succeed. We may reflect your peace and hope to a world that so desperately needs your presence and healing.
In Jesus name,
Jesus Has Risen 10 Bible Verses On The Power Of The Resurrection
At Easter, we celebrate Jesus rising from the dead a central part of the Christian faith. Without it, the apostle Paul said belief in Jesus would be futile. In his resurrection, Christ defeated death he removed our sins from us, enabling us to be born again into a living hope.
This was not a spontaneous move of God. Our redemption was long-planned, foretold by the prophets of the Old Testament.
All these truths are directly taken from the Word of God as recorded in the Bible. Here are 10 Bible verses that draw our attention afresh to the power of the resurrection:
Isaiah 25.8: “He will swallow up death in victory and the Lord God will wipe away tears from off all faces.”
Isaiah 53.5: “But he was wounded for our transgressions he was crushed for our iniquities on him was the chastisement that brought us peace, and by his stripes we are healed.”
John 11.25-26: “I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live, and everyone who lives and believes in me shall never die. Do you believe this?”
1 Corinthians 15.21-22: “For as by a man came death, by a man has come the resurrection of the dead. For as in Adam all die, so in Christ shall all be made alive.”
1 Peter 1.3: “According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.”
Romans 6.4: “…just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life.”
The Ascension Of Jesus
50 When he had led them out to the vicinity of Bethany, he lifted up his hands and blessed them.51 While he was blessing them, he left them and was taken up into heaven.52 Then they worshiped him and returned to Jerusalem with great joy.53 And they stayed continually at the temple, praising God.
Jesus Appears To The Disciples
36 While they were still talking about this, Jesus himself stood among them and said to them, Peace be with you.
37 They were startled and frightened, thinking they saw a ghost.38 He said to them, Why are you troubled, and why do doubts rise in your minds?39 Look at my hands and my feet. It is I myself! Touch me and see a ghost does not have flesh and bones, as you see I have.
40 When he had said this, he showed them his hands and feet.41 And while they still did not believe it because of joy and amazement, he asked them, Do you have anything here to eat?42 They gave him a piece of broiled fish,43 and he took it and ate it in their presence.
44 He said to them, This is what I told you while I was still with you: Everything must be fulfilled that is written about me in the Law of Moses, the Prophets and the Psalms.
45 Then he opened their minds so they could understand the Scriptures.46 He told them, This is what is written: The Messiah will suffer and rise from the dead on the third day,47 and repentance for the forgiveness of sins will be preached in his name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.48 You are witnesses of these things.49 I am going to send you what my Father has promised but stay in the city until you have been clothed with power from on high.
Don’t Miss: What The Bible Says About Judging Others
What Does The Bible Say About The Resurrection
The Bible culminates in the life and death of Jesus Christ, who died to save us from our sins and will return to take us to everlasting life in heaven. Jesus Christs resurrection is the foundation of our Christian faith. This event, which took place about two thousand years ago, is the most well-documented fact in human history. Find answers to your questions about the resurrection of Jesus Christ and a few others below.
Christian Quotes On The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ
21. The message of Easter is not that Jesus is alive, it is so much more. The message of Easter is that Jesus has risen.
22. Our sin reached its full horror and found its most awful expression in the cross.
23. The tomb of Christ is famous because of what it DOES NOT CONTAIN.
24. We live and die Christ died and lived!
25. The resurrection of Jesus changes the face of death for all His people. Death is no longer a prison, but a passage into Gods presence. Easter says you can put truth in a grave, but it wont stay there.
26. The primary source of the appeal of Christianity is Jesus His incarnation, His life, His crucifixion, and His resurrection.
27. Luke associates John with Peter in Acts, when, after the Resurrection, that strange boldness had come upon the disciples.
28. The cross is a one time visual representation of Gods grief over sin.
29. Live in the awareness that Christ lives and that He lives in His people.
30. The cross is the victory, the resurrection is the triumphThe resurrection is the public display of the victory, the triumph of the crucified one.
31. The best proof that Christ has risen is that he is still alive. And for the immense majority of our contemporaries, the only way of seeing him alive is for us Christians to love one another.
32. Christ the Lord is risen today / Sons of men and angels say / Raise your joys and triumphs high / Sing ye heavens, and earth reply.
Views Of Other Religions
Groups such as Jews, Muslims, Baháís, and other non-Christians, as well as some liberal Christians, dispute whether Jesus actually rose from the dead. Arguments over death and resurrection claims occur at many religious debates and interfaith dialogues.
Christianity split from Judaism in the 1st century AD, and the two faiths have differed in their theology since. According to the Toledot Yeshu, the body of Jesus was removed in the same night by a gardener named Juda, after hearing the disciples planned to steal the body of Jesus. However, Toledot Yeshu is not considered either canonical or normative within rabbinic literature. Van Voorst states that Toledot Yeshu is a medieval document set without a fixed form which is “most unlikely” to have reliable information about Jesus. The Blackwell Companion to Jesus states that the Toledot Yeshu has no historical facts as such, and was perhaps created as a tool for warding off conversions to Christianity.