What Does The Bible Say About Death
Death is unfortunately an inevitable process during our lifetime. Death of a loved one is often the ultimate grief. No matter the timing, experiencing loss leaves a painful void in our lives. There is often times where no one can say anything to bring us comfort during this process, so finding what God wants us to know is more important than ever. What does God tell us about death?
Bible Quotes About Death And Healing From Loss
Ecclesiastes 7:1 – A good name is better than precious ointment, and the day of death than the day of birth.
1 Corinthians 15:51 – Behold! I tell you a mystery. We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed
Psalm 115:17 – The dead do not praise the Lord, nor do any who go down into silence.
Psalm 73:26 – My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
Job 14:14 – If a man dies, shall he live again? All the days of my service I would wait, till my renewal should come.
Romans 5:12 – Therefore, just as sin came into the world through one man, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because all sinned
2 Corinthians 5:8 – Yes, we are of good courage, and we would rather be away from the body and at home with the Lord.
Romans 8:38-39 – For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Ezekiel 18:32 – For I have no pleasure in the death of anyone, declares the Lord God so turn, and live.
Revelation 14:13 – And I heard a voice from heaven saying, Write this: Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord from now on. Blessed indeed, says the Spirit, that they may rest from their labors, for their deeds follow them!
Psalm 116:15 – Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his saints.
Bible Verses For Loss
These Bible verses look at loss and how it affects us whilst offering hope and strength through faith. Use them to find whatever you need to get through the process of grieving for someone who has passed away. They will also work well used in a sympathy card or memorial reading to offer your condolences.
SEE MORE: Sympathy Prayers: 23 Christian Ways to Pray for a Loss
Recommended Reading: What Does Bible Say About Cremation Vs Burial
Quotes About Death From The Bible
Matthew 5:4 Blessed are those who mourn, For they shall be comforted.
Deuteronomy 33:1 This is the blessing, with which Moses the man of God blessed the children of Israel before his death.
Revelation 20:6 Blessed and holy is he who has part in the first resurrection. Over these, the second death has no power, but they will be priests of God and of Christ, and will reign with him one thousand years.
Genesis 25:11 It happened after the death of Abraham, that God blessed Isaac, his son. Isaac lived by Beer Lahai Roi.
1 John 5:16 If anyone sees his brother sinning a sin not leading to death, he shall ask, and God will give him life for those who sin not leading to death. There is a sin leading to death. I dont say that he should make a request concerning this.
Luke 1:42 She called out with a loud voice, and said, Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb!
Genesis 49:28 All these are the twelve tribes of Israel, and this is what their father spoke to them and blessed them. He blessed everyone according to his blessing.
Psalms 72:17 His name endures forever. His name continues as long as the sun. Men shall be blessed by him. All nations will call him blessed.
Genesis 27:33 Isaac trembled violently, and said, Who, then, is he who has taken venison, and brought it me, and I have eaten of all before you came, and have blessed him? Yes, he will be blessed.
Deuteronomy 28:3 Blessed shall you be in the city, and blessed shall you be in the field.
We Need To Offer Comfort To Those In Grief
Ecclesiastes 7:2 It is better to go to a house of mourning than to go to a house of feasting, for death is the destiny of everyone the living should take this to heart.
Grief is all consuming, and a difficult road to walk without support. We often see meal trains, sympathy cards, phone calls, and visits to those in mourning as a way to show our support. These gestures are a direct motion from God, as he tells us that we need to support one another. At some point, we will all endure death and grief, bonding us through pain. We support those in mourning, as we will also need the same support during our own bereavements.
Read Also: What The Bible Says About Tattoos
Bible Verses For Condolence And Reassurance
Turning to scripture when someone dies can be reassuring. The Bible offers many words of reassurance.
- Isaiah 41:10 – Fear not, for I am with you be not dismayed, for I am your God I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
- Isaiah 58:9 – Then you will call, and the Lord will answer you will cry for help, and he will say: Here am I.
- Psalms 23:4 – Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
- Psalms 126:5-6 – Those who sow in tears will reap with songs of joy. He who goes out weeping, carrying seed to sow, will return with songs of joy, carrying sheaves with him.
- 2 Thessalonians 3:16 – Now may the Lord of peace himself give you peace at all times in every way.
- Philippians 4:13 – I can do all things through him who strengthens me.
Sorrow Does Come To Earth
Ecclesiatstes 3:4 A time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance.
Psalm 119:28 My soul is weary with sorrow strengthen me according to your word.
Ecclesiastes 12:7 And the dust returns to the earth as it was, and the spirit returns to God who gave it.
God does not promise us a life without death, pain and sorrow. Part of human life on earth involves death, and with death, comes grieving. This time of sorrow is sacred, for grieving death is unique to every individual. God acknowledges our time and need to grieve by telling us that they have a place in our lives. Acknowledging our grief is full of importance.
You May Like: What Does The Bible Say About Transgenderism
Resources Related To Bible Verses About Loss
We hope you found this resource on Bible verses about loss and the death of a loved one helpful during your time of grief. Shutterfly offers a variety of resources to help you and your loved ones get through hard times, whether youre looking for guidance, gifts, or cards. If you found this resource on sympathy messages helpful, and youre looking for additional resources with similar content, look to the options below:
Bible Verses For Death Of Loved One
God promises us strength and comfort in hard times. He also offers us the gift of eternal life, if only we will accept it.
If you found our collection of Bible verses for funerals helpful, we would appreciate a .
You can also follow our board for more shareable memes with quotes from the Bible that offer comfort, strength, and hope.
If you have any commentsor suggestions of more Bible verses to include in this postlet us know in the comments section below. We, along with our readers, would love to hear from you.
You May Like: What Does Sanctification Mean In The Bible
Bible Verses About God’s Love
A reminder of God’s love can help someone who is grieving. Choose one of these Bible verses for a sympathy card to show your loved one that he or she is not alone.
- Genesis 28:15 – I am with you and will watch over you wherever you go… I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you.
- Psalms 48:14 – For this God is our God forever and ever he will be our guide even to the end.
- 1 Peter 5:7 – Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.
- 2 Corinthians 1:3-4 – Blessed be the God and Father… who comforts us in all our affliction…
- Isaiah 49:13 – For the Lord comforts his people and will have compassion on his afflicted ones.
- Psalms 73:26 – My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
New Testament Scriptures For Funerals Comfort
Matthew 5:4 Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.
Matthew 11:28 Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.
John 14:18 I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.
Romans 8:18 I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us.
Romans 8:28 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.
Romans 15:4 For whatever things were written before were written for our learning, that we through the patience and comfort of the Scriptures might have hope.
2 Corinthians 1:3-4 Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God.
Hebrews 13:5 God has said, Never will I leave you never will I forsake you.
1 Peter 5:6-7 Humble yourselves, therefore, under Gods mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.
Read Also: What Does Bible Say About Cremation Vs Burial
Comforting Bible Verses For Death
When facing difficult times, the best feeling we can receive is comfort. We hope that the following passages comfort you in your difficult time of grief. Many of these bible verses can help you feel more strength and know that it does get better even though it always feels hard. And if youre looking for additional comforting words, please visit our resource on sympathy quotes and messages.
- Revelation 21:4He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.
- Psalm 34:18
- Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.
- 1 Thessalonians 4:13-14Brothers and sisters, we do not want you to be uninformed about those who sleep in death, so that you do not grieve like the rest of mankind, who have no hope. For we believe that Jesus died and rose again, and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in him.
- 1 Thessalonians 4:17-18After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever. Therefore encourage one another with these words.
As He Promised He Will Do
John 14:1-4Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God believe also in me. In my Fathers house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also. And you know the way to where I am going.
Romans 8:16-17The Spirit himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children, then heirsheirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, provided we suffer with him in order that we may also be glorified with him.
2 Corinthians 5:6-8So we are always of good courage. We know that while we are at home in the body we are away from the Lord, for we walk by faith, not by sight. Yes, we are of good courage, and we would rather be away from the body and at home with the Lord.
1 Thessalonians 4:16-18For the Lord himself will descend from heaven with a cry of command, with the voice of an archangel, and with the sound of the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we will always be with the Lord. Therefore encourage one another with these words.
Recommended Reading: How Many Times Bible Says Fear Not
Sympathy Bible Verses For Loss Of A Mother
Bible verses can serve as a reminder of the duties of your mother and the gifts only she could bestow.
- Proverbs 31:28-29 – Her children rise up and call her blessed her husband also, and he praises her. Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all.
- Isaiah 66:13 – As one whom his mother comforts, so I will comfort you.
- Corinthians 1:5 – For as we share abundantly in Christ’s sufferings, so through Christ we share abundantly in comfort too.
- Psalm 23:7 – Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me, your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
- Psalm 116:15 – Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his saints.
- Deuteronomy 31:8 – The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you he will never leave you nor forsake you.
Bible Verses About Grieving The Loss Of A Child
There are no words that can accurately describe losing a child, but bible verses about the circumstances can help you feel more grounded. The following verses are about what might happen to children to help you feel a type of solace through your grief. If you know someone who lost a child, adding these bible verses to a sympathy card can be a great way to show youre thinking of them and are there for them.
- Revelation 21:4He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.
- Philippians 2:20I have no one else like him, who will show genuine concern for your welfare.
- Matthew 19:14But Jesus said, Let the little children come to me and do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of heaven.
- Matthew 18:14So it is not the will of my Father who is in heaven that one of these little ones should perish.
- John 14:27Peace I leave with you my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.
- Luke 18:15-17Now they were bringing even infants to him that he might touch them. And when the disciples saw it, they rebuked them. But Jesus called them to him, saying, Let the children come to me, and do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of God. Truly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child shall not enter it.
You May Like: What Does Bible Say About Antichrist
Bible Verses About Grief
Grieving is a heart-wrenching time in our lives.
No one travels through life without, at some point, experiencing the loss of someone or something dear.
The passing of a loved one is one of lifes most difficult challenges, and the pain can be overwhelming.
But God doesnt leave you to suffer alone.
This collection of Bible verses about grief and intense sorrow reassures us that God not only understands our pain and empathizes with our grief, He will never leave our side.
Verses To Remember Gods Promises
Remembering the promises God has made to his people can not only comfort mourners, but in many ways, it will also bring a renewed perspective of who God will be through this trial.
Dont let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God, and trust also in me. There is more than enough room in my Fathers home. If this were not so, would I have told you that I am going to prepare a place for you? When everything is ready, I will come and get you, so that you will always be with me where I am.
Romans 8:35, 37-39
Can anything ever separate us from Christs love? Does it mean he no longer loves us if we have trouble or calamity, or are persecuted, or hungry, or destitute, or in danger, or threatened with death? No, despite all these things, overwhelming victory is ours through Christ, who loved us. And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from Gods love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrownot even the powers of hell can separate us from Gods love. No power in the sky above or in the earth belowindeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord.
So do not fear, for I am with you do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
Read Also: What Does The Bible Say About Woman Covering Their Hair